Thread: Specs on new Ducati Panigale engine

Specs on new Ducati Panigale engine

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2011/...1199-panigale/

Wow. Interesting new design from Ducati. Gotta keep this beast high in the rev range.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Re: Specs on new Ducati Panigale engine

It is interesting to watch the Ducati engineers developing solutions used by Japanese motorcycle manufactors for quite some time. Plain shell bearings, cam chains, they are figuring out that if you want power, reliably, these are the parts currantly being employed. The key here is reliably. Nobody wants to replace parts every race if one doesn't have to.
    Then we all win with the trickle down tech, yea!
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Can't get to the site from work here, dammit!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Actually, people think of the desmo valvegear as being a Ducati invention. The Mercedes race cars of 1954-55 used them, and Azzariti (a short lived Italian manufacturer ) used them in 1933-1934.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodromic_valve

I knew about Mercedes using it, but didn't know about the Italian Azzirita connection.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Has some sort of vacuum pump driven off the oil pump that sucks air from under the pistons in the crankcase to decrease resistance.

Really?

Titanium valves. Neat.

Betcha the Japanese have used all of these things at one time or other, many years ago. You just can't beat the big four for reliability, and just great machinery.

I like reading about this stuff. It doesn't really amount to much, but I find it interesting. But then I loved my old BSA also, and that was decidedly low tech. Neat stuff.

Sorta makes me wish I had waited a year and bought this one. The belts on mine are fine I guess, but then I read that they are tensioned with the aid of a sophisticated guitar tuner, by determining frequency of vibration. Now that's a "tune up." LOL.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; Mon Oct 10th, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Gotta keep this beast high in the rev range.
    Why? I didn't see a dyno graph...

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Has some sort of vacuum pump driven off the oil pump that sucks air from under the pistons in the crankcase to decrease resistance.

Really?

Titanium valves. Neat.

Betcha the Japanese have used all of these things at one time or other, many years ago. You just can't beat the big four for reliability, and just great machinery.

I like reading about this stuff. It doesn't really amount to much, but I find it interesting. But then I loved my old BSA also, and that was decidedly low tech. Neat stuff.

Sorta makes me wish I had waited a year and bought this one. The belts on mine are fine I guess, but then I read that they are tensioned with the aid of a sophisticated guitar tuner, by determining frequency of vibration. Now that's a "tune up." LOL.
    A lot of race engines have for many years used a vacuum pump to pull negative pressure in the bottom end. It will save some hp normally wasted pushing air around the crankcase.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Why? I didn't see a dyno graph...
    Found one for ya!

Well since that's now showing up...

No more clackity clack of the clutch. Going to a wet setup like the Multistrada and Diavel.
    Should be a stout bike, that's for sure. 195 ponies is good stuff.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold