Thread: WSBK: KTM joining 2012

Cool WSBK: KTM joining 2012

http://www.gpone.com/index.php/en/20...he-la-KTM.html

The story went almost completely unnoticed, but KTM's announcement that they will compete in some 2012 WSBK rounds is very important.
    In fact - should Yamaha find a way to field their bikes - the production based series could tout the participation of no less than eight manufacturers next year!
    Recently we received word from Wolfgang Felber, head of road racing at KTM, that Martin Bauer has signed on to be the development rider (and racer) for the latest version of the RC8 R, the bike on which he won the 2011 IDM Superbike championship. "With Martin and the team led by Konrad Hefele, we will certainly obtain the necessary feedback to develop the Superbike, applying the same method we use for off-road racing."
    The Austrian manufacturer actually made its debut in 2008, racing in the FIM Cup Superstock championship, with Renč Mahr and Pauli Pekkanen riding. The results weren't exactly encouraging, however (the best finish was a 13th place for Mahr at Brands Hatch), and KTM decided to concentrate their efforts on the IDM for 2009. In German championship, which has regulations different to those of WSBK, actually making it more similar to STK, things went better for the team, with rider Nebel finishing second in the championship.
    The improvement continued during the 2010 season, when the team hired two time German champion (2007, 200 Martin Bauer. The experienced rider scored three wins for KTM, at Oschersleben, Sachsering and Hockenheim, allowing the Austrian team to win the constructors' championship, edging out rivals BMW.
    This past season, KTM switched to the use of semi-official teams (like Bauer's Motorex squad), so that the factory could concentrate on the development of a Moto3 engine. Now the manufacturer from Mattinghofen has turns its attention once again to Superbike.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Re: WSBK: KTM joining 2012

fuck yea

If they want me to go throw down some lap times on the 9fiddy adventure, I'll help'em out. You know, for the data.

Thats awesome! About damn time!

I saw a couple races earlier this season, not sure if it was AMA or WSBK, but the KTM fellas were out and about. I love those things!

Also remember seeing them out a couple summers ago racing with the MRA guys at PPIR, completely wrecking shop.

is it weird I have a semi-chub rightnow??

**EDIT** it was AMA, not WSBK
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

hang on a second. I noticed this: "- should Yamaha find a way to field their bikes -"

wtf does that mean? what's the '12 have that could take them out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    hang on a second. I noticed this: "- should Yamaha find a way to field their bikes -"

Yamaha Motor Europe N.V. (YME) has decided to withdraw their official Yamaha World Superbike Team at the end of the current season from the FIM Superbike World Championship.

This announcement follows a full strategic review of the Marketing Operations within Europe including all Motorsport activities and takes into account the continuing severe and rapidly changing Powered Two Wheeler market conditions throughout the region.

Due to this decision more resource and focus will now be used for direct “Customer“ activities to ultimately add more value to Yamaha ownership and increased Customer Satisfaction.
    YME would like to express their sincere thanks and appreciation for the total commitment, support, and passion shown by the extremely professional and dedicated riders and team members both past and present throughout the many years of participation in the FIM Superbike World Championship. YME would also like to thank all the highly valued business partners and suppliers who have in-turn supported the team and in addition would like to thank Infront Motorsports, the FIM Superbike World Championship promoters. YME has chosen this timing of announcement to ensure that all existing obligations are correctly met, and to not limit any opportunities or future planning for all personnel involved.

Riders Marco Melandri and Eugene Laverty are currently respectively 3rd and 4th in the overall 2011 FIM Superbike World Championship standings for riders with 4 rounds to go. YME and the team will continue to give its maximum efforts until the end of the existing season to try and regain the World Superbike title which Yamaha also won in 2009.

Yamaha will continue the availability of road racing kit parts, known as YEC Racing kit parts, for its R1 and R6 production models for private teams entering at all racing levels.

Shit

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    Also remember seeing them out a couple summers ago racing with the MRA guys at PPIR, completely wrecking shop.

**EDIT** it was AMA, not WSBK
    That was Chris Fillmore pulling in some KTM bucks on the circuit

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post

I'm alright with Yamaha going if it means Aprilia gets to open up some spots!

http://www.gpone.com/index.php/en/20...ia-in-SBK.html

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    That was Chris Fillmore pulling in some KTM bucks on the circuit
    Ah ok! Either way, they were MOVING out there... and theyre effin gorgeous bikes also. Win/Win IMHO
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar

I like the design of the RC8R, but I would prefer to see the MV Agusta F4s on the World grid again... I think they only competed in the World Super Superstock series, but man, they looked damn good!
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

The 2012 F3 is too pretty to be raced... look at those pipes

Last edited by sprtbkbabe; Tue Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Ya, thats definitely sexy...

There was a Brutale at Apex I was drooling on the other day... sooooooo sexy. Makes me happy in the pants.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    The 2012 F3 is too pretty to be raced... look at those pipes
    And triples sound damn sexy... I remember back in 2002 when I was at Laguna. During WSBK free practice/qualifying (don't remember which), the TV camera crew got the crane stuck in sand at the cork screw, so they asked a couple of folks to jump over the fence and help them out. As I was helping to push the crane, Pete Goddard flew close by on his Benelli Tornado... OMG that sounded so good...

I wonder if MV is going to enter the F3 in WSS next to the Triumph?
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I'd love to see that. I'd also love to see bimota (db7) and MV Agusta back in it as well, but only if they're somewhat competitive.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)