Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for work

Re: Looking for work

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettodsm View Post
    Still looking (unless cornfed knows something I don't haha). All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Sorry man but I don't. I'm guessing in this situation no news is bad news.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Sorry man but I don't. I'm guessing in this situation no news is bad news.
    Oh well, thanks for the help! See ya!

Quote Originally Posted by eklew View Post
    What shop laid you off?
    sent you a p/m

2 more interviews lined up for this week so far. Anyone work as a parts rep at a dealership?

Thanks! You would think of the autobody business as being recession proof...guess that isn't always the case.
    The key here is charging more for less. Less employees = longer repair times = higher demand = higher fees.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

agreed (unfortunately) ! Had an interview today with american family insurance...hope I get it. This not working shiz sucks and I refuse to collect unemployment.

collect unemployment.
    hopefully it will not get to that.. but its better than nothing.

Yes it is but I really don't want to. I would hate having to use government aid. At any rate I'm still looking. Doing some side work right now. If anyone needs any small auto repairs done or body work I can help. Thanks again all !

agreed (unfortunately) ! Had an interview today with american family insurance...hope I get it. This not working shiz sucks and I refuse to collect unemployment.
    file for unemployment. You've paid into it your whole working life. As long as you're one of the people legitimately looking for work, there's no shame in collecting.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Yeah I know man I just never thought I would have to. Oh well time to quit being a wuss and go file I guess.

have been there and understand how you feel. Just have to keep reminding yourself it's not a free handout, you've paid into this for years. And as long as you're one of the guys beating the streets looking for work rather than sitting on your lazy ass, then no one will think any less of you.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I have been putting in resumes like crazy (generally about 15 every day). I have had several interviews lately and even some help from a couple guys on here but just no luck. Maybe it's my beard ? Guess I will wait in the unemployment like like the rest of america...sad days my friend.

there's no shame in collecting.
    i have done it and i collected til it was zeroed out.

most business owners I talk to are busy and actually looking for good employees. Problem is being able to stand out in the crowd

1999 DR650SE

honestly, if you're firing off 15 resumes a day, I'd bet money that they are cookie cutter resumes that look like every other Joe on the street who's just trying to ride unemployment.

Try to focus on a few good key opportunities and write your resume for the job. Doesn't mean embellish. But there are key words for certain positions and your own history you need to focus on (and other history to push aside). Get to the point, use your network.

again, focus on key opportunities and don't wait for a resume to get you a call back. Stalk other people in the organization, learn about their business.....

best wishes and good luck

1999 DR650SE

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    honestly, if you're firing off 15 resumes a day, I'd bet money that they are cookie cutter resumes that look like every other Joe on the street who's just trying to ride unemployment.

Try to focus on a few good key opportunities and write your resume for the job. Doesn't mean embellish. But there are key words for certain positions and your own history you need to focus on (and other history to push aside). Get to the point, use your network.

again, focus on key opportunities and don't wait for a resume to get you a call back. Stalk other people in the organization, learn about their business.....

Agreed, persistence to the extent where it is not annoying will make you stand out and show the employer that you genuinely want to work for the company.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

most business owners I talk to are busy and actually looking for good employees. Problem is being able to stand out in the crowd
    Yep. The market is flooded with mediocrity right now, you have to be different.

Bingo! Except the stalking thing... There is a fine line between showing genuine interest in the job being offered, and seeming desperate for a paycheck. Don't cross it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Except the stalking thing... There is a fine line between showing genuine interest in the job being offered, and seeming desperate for a paycheck. Don't cross it.
    said somewhat tongue in cheek...

But some businesses have a sandwich shop nearby or a bar where employees will frequent for lunch or an after work beverage. Certainly "stalking" in the literal sense will not help your efforts. But it doesn't hurt to drop in to these local joints to see what you hear or who you might bump into. How you apply what you hear or learn can appear like stalking so it pays to be smart.

"hi mr. interviewer. I was on my 4th beer over at the corner pub when I heard your purchasing manager mention you guys were about to bid on the biggest project in the history of your business."

"hi mr. interviewer. It sounds like things are much better out there than the news would have people believe. I've heard many businesses have grown past where they were in 2007 and some are even bidding on their biggest projects ever."
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Tue Nov 29th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

1999 DR650SE

The other approach is to be willing to relocate. So far my best chances have been for jobs out of state and or involve travel. It's not for everybody, especially those with families or kids in school. Then again, I'm having to think if I really want to live in Houston or North Dakota. :/ Australia and NZ are sounding nice though.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    The other approach is to be willing to relocate. So far my best chances have been for jobs out of state and or involve travel. It's not for everybody, especially those with families or kids in school. Then again, I'm having to think if I really want to live in Houston or North Dakota. :/ Australia and NZ are sounding nice though.
    As much as I would like to use that option my wife unfortunately does not like the idea. Australia or NZ would be really cool! Don't you have to have desired skill set/lots of money already to live there ? I heard they don't just accept anyone (like us mericans do lol).

file for unemployment. You've paid into it your whole working life. As long as you're one of the people legitimately looking for work, there's no shame in collecting.
    Employees don't pay unemployment, the employers pay for unemployment insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Employees don't pay unemployment, the employers pay for unemployment insurance.
    tomato potato

and corporation would pay taxes rather than handing down down price increases to the consumer.....

401k, FICA....

Who writes the check is little consequence
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Wed Nov 30th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

1999 DR650SE