Thread: Hitch Carrier Review

Hitch Carrier Review

Harbor Freight
    http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-...ier-99721.html

I paid total $142.00 with shipping & tax, I used coupon code DIsc20 for 20% off.

I bought this so I could be lazy and not have to get the trailer out when its just me. I ride a 2001 Honda XR650R that is plated and has a 6.3 Gallon tank added. I guess my bikes weight is around 300lbs.

Assembly:
    You will probably need to have a drill & bits to drill out a few of the holes as they don't line up. Also washers are lacking with this kit, might want to pick some of those up too. I also used Red Locktite on the various bolts to make sure nothing would come loose.

Had to drill one of these holes out some as it did not line up with the aluminum.

All put together

Here is the ramp attached to the unit in storage mode

On a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with factory hitch package you can see the bead and the anti-sway device doe snot get to clamp down real good

Loading:
    Funny how the pictures show one guy loading the motorcycle (a heavy KLR650 at that) which be heavier then my bike. However the instructions clearly state to never load alone and always have a minimum of TWO people. Huh!!! Of course I need to load alone its why I bought this, and based on the picture I assumed that was OKAY (I can say its what I plan to do).

I guess know your bike, I have man handled mine on single track hard trails so loading was not a big deal on a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L. I will say practice loading & unloading before you NEED to use this. (from the practice I know with my 6.3 gallon tank I can lean the bike against the vehicle with no damage being done to my vehicle). I would say Unloading is harder then loading, you got to get that front tire up out of the "cup" area of the rails, best to have the bike in gear and use the clutch to brake. I found that to be extremely hard to do, I held the bike upright with my right hand, and I used my left hand to turn the tire out of the cup area (that worked best).

Driving Manors:
    I have only tested the bike loaded around my local area on 35mph streets. It does move some, but seems pretty stable. On my Jeep the anti-sway does not work the best as my hitch has a bead around the end of the hitch receiver, so the anti-sway does not lay flush, this is probably okay just make sure if yours is the same to tighten the bolt very tight, put a piece of electrical tape around the end, this will stop the nut from falling off should it come loose from the bolt and you loosing the pieces.

Design:
    The rear (on the towing vehicles side on the hitch carrier) strap hook points are flimsy, they will bend up. I'm thinking use ratchet tie downs and go to the safety chain hook area of your hitch to the bike...very solid then, plus this will help keep the hitch from moving around even more within the receiver.

The tire cradle/cups for lack of knowing what to call them seem flimsy. One knob/handle already did not want to turn the bolt but instead screw the handle off the bolt. I'm not sure if this is even really needed to use, I guess it is suppose to stop the bike front tire from sliding around, but its not going to go anywhere. I'm not sure on the front tire PIN either, another safety thing I guess to keep the front wheel from hopping up (if you have it ratcheted down good it should not go anywhere anyways). Plus the Pin might damage the rim/spoke, so I'm unsure of that.

Re: Hitch Carrier Review

I'm thinking of instead of letting the front wheel drop down to leave the pin in and add a wheel chock to the front of this unit (use the bolt holes given for the tire clamp unit that seems flimsy), true it means I would need to back the bike off the lift, but that would not be a big deal for me or my motorcycle, if this is going on a tall truck, I could see that being a big deal to back down. I actually think it might make it easier to load and unload.

Which brings me to ramp height, its fine for MY vehicle a stock height 2005 Jeep GC Limited, but that ramp is very short, the whole hitch carrier does flex down when loading and unloading...but I could see the ramp being too steep on a taller vehicle.

Towing with my 2005 Jeep GC 5.7L:
    It works great. I don't even notice the bike back there. The front of the car is slightly up from rear sag but I am rated at 750lbs of tongue weight. So with hitch I am around 360lbs, not that bad really. Also the instructions say not to go over 55mph...not sure I will follow that myself, I'd get run off the road here in CO with a speed limit of 75mph. I think as long as you drive sanely and safely you probably be okay. Obvious the vehicle will drive different with that rear weight back there so just realize that.

Another Con is no tail lights, your vehicles lights will not be seen thus you will not be to code and a danger. I picked some up at my local Wal-Mart's store for $29 with flat 4 connector to wire on and mount. If you were going to go long distances might be a good idea to relocate the license plate to the hitch unit...most cops probably would not notice or say anything but it does give them a reason to stop you. Your call, but do realize needing to see tail lights and rear plate is required under every states laws.

Sorry I did not get a picture of the bike loaded, I loaded it 3 times and i can not believe I forgot to do it...I'll update this review once I field test the unit, plus update it when I mount the tail lights.

I have a similar one I use for my DRZ. Works well. Wouldn't use it with a heavier bike though, my hitch is only rated to 500lbs.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

One MAJOR caveat: Make sure your RECEIVER itself is rated for 400lbs plus the 50-ish lbs of the carrier plus anything else. Typically, max tongue weight is 10% of max trailer towing capacity. In my RAV's case, 3,500lbs, so I'm figuring max of 350lbs with bike (220-ish lbs), carrier, and gas cans. Also, watch it on inclines, mine drags.

Mine's a little different and I like the way it holds the bike a little better, but I paid $245 at Performance. Damn!

Hell, I should have just bought this:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...els-90154.html

Think I just might sell the carrier and my other ramps and get it. The carrier is a PITA to load and unload, and I can't carry the gas cans, etc.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Wed Oct 19th, 2011 at 05:08 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Tongue weight is 750 lbs on my Jeep per the owners manual. My Jeep barely even squatted.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Tongue weight is 750 lbs on my Jeep per the owners manual. My Jeep barely even squatted.
    Wow! That's a lot. I'm surprised, as I said it's usually 10% of trailer weight if I remember right. Just thought I'd throw that warning out there though.

I'm thinking more and more about getting that trailer and selling my carrier. Then I could tow either the gixxer and/or the KX. Hmmmm.....
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm

I was thinking of this carrier...but you got a great deal on yours...I need to head out to AZ during the Winter and was wanting to bringing my bike along...
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

Okay I been off, tongue weight is 720#, towing is 7,200 lbs with the 5.7L Hemi
    Taken from: http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post

I was thinking of this carrier...but you got a great deal on yours...I need to head out to AZ during the Winter and was wanting to bringing my bike along...
    If your hauling a street bike, you need to go with something heavy duty. All depends what your bike weighs...but to tell you the truth I would not want to try and load a street bike onto one of these. I could not image the pain in the ass in loading my 550lb FZ1 if I still had it. You for sure would want two people...a trailer is just easier at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post

I might be interested in selling mine and getting a folding trailer. Interested? If so, I'll see how much weight it can support and we can talk $$.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian