Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Marco Simoncelli

Re: RIP Marco Simoncelli

That was a beautiful tribute by Schwantz. Very personal and touching. Thanks for posting.

Simoncelli was great fun to watch. He knocked over too many people early in the year, but he learned to pick his spots and was one of the best passers in the later races. What a tragedy.

Very nice piece by Schwantz. RIP Marco.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Board Newbie

Man, I hadn't looked at any sites because I hadn't gotten a chance to watch the race until tonight... got caught off guard on facebook talking to a buddy of mine with the Rizla Suzuki team.... Caught me off guard when his opening message was "So I assume you've heard the bad news?" Painful to watch video, too young and too talented.... RIP

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I came home Sunday aftenoon hoping to watch a great race. Instead, I witnessed a horrible tragedy. RIP Marco, my Paisan. Godspeed to you. Deepest condolences to his family, friends, and countless fans. Rossi, a good friend of his, must be devastated......
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Tue Oct 25th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I just saw a news blurb that Gresini Honda will be attending the Valencia race and displaying the #58 bike in their usual pit in his memory. I can't think of a better tribute by them. I hope they're all doing ok as well.

Valencia is going to be a very emotional race. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Rossi rode his ass off and pulled off a win for Marco.

This broke my heart in today's motogp.com

Simoncelli's funeral to be held on Thursday in Coriano

Tuesday, 25 October 2011
    The casket of the Italian rider arrived in Italy this Tuesday morning to a crowd of fans that received the flight with sustained applause. The funeral proceedings will be held this Thursday in his hometown of Coriano, Italy.

The body of Marco Simoncelli arrived at Fiumicino airport this Tuesday morning following the tragic accident that took the rising star's young life at the MotoGP race in Sepang last Sunday. Representatives of several sporting organizations—among them Gianni Petrucci, Secretary of the Italian National Olympic Committee and Paolo Sesti, President of the Italian Federation of Motorcycling—awaited the arrival of the casket, along with a crowd of fans who gathered in Rome airport facilities to greet the arrival with prolonged applause.
    The late rider’s father, Paolo, and Marco Simoncelli's long time friend and compatriot, Valentino Rossi, traveled together on the same Alitalia flight from Kuala Lumpur with the fallen rider’s casket.
    A public viewing of Simoncelli's body is planned for Wednesday in the city theatre of his hometown, Coriano, with the funeral scheduled for Thursday, October 27 at 3:00pm in the church of Santa Maria di Coriano. The Italian will be buried in the cemetery of this town, near Riccione, where he was born 24 years ago.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Yep from what I've heard they were very good buds. Many people believed Rossi would be passing the torch of great Italian racers on to Simoncelli. And this probably explains why I haven't been able to find anything from Rossi commenting on what happened. There hasn't been a peep out of Rossi on this and I can imagine he's taking this really hard. Especially after one of the pictures I found on a UK website that was taken basically in front of the three of them. It shows Simoncelli basically being sucked under Edwards bike, with his head impacting Rossi's front end.

I'm going to post, and please if it offends anyone I'm sorry and I can take it down. It has been on other sites though:

The real crappy thing, is both Colin and Valentino just watch it unfold before their eyes and can't do a thing about it. It happened so fast. I think Rossi knew something was up, after he saved it and came back on the track to look back and saw Simoncelli laying there. He knew what happened, you can tell by his body language in all the videos shown, that he just sits up and shrugs as he rides off. It's got to be devastating to the guy.

Either way, what a real shitty day...

Not to be morbid, but this is an excellent pic from the perfect angle, and confirms what I suspected after watching it frame-by-frame on my VDV-R. I think either blow would have been fatal, as either was in Tomizawa's case last year, but from my recording it appeared that it was Rossi's front wheel that ripped the helmet off of Marco's head, and this confirms it. Also, from reading a post from Siobhan in another thread, that they're tentitively saying that it was a broken neck (and the attendant brain stem trauma) that was the immediate cause of death. Rossi must be beside himself, as they were known to be close friends. You can see from the video that, at the last split-second before impact, as Marco was coming back into their peripheral vision, thet they both tried desperately to avoid him as their bokes boths swerved, but it was, and couldn't never be, avoided. I hope both Edwards and rossi can take some solace in that.

Cia Marco.....
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Tue Oct 25th, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

^ this
    I imagine it to be very difficult for both Edwards and Rossi, for their shoes must truly be some of the heaviest to walk in right now. Even though they have no reason to, it would be hard not to feel guilty.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Here's his website:
    http://www.marcosimoncelli.it/

"Marco would have said ...." diobo' ragazzi quanti siete! "....

to send your messages of condolence in his memory, please send an email to ciao@58marcosimoncelli.it "

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post
    Fans at the Sepang circuit littering the track after the race was cut short due to the death of a rider just make me get a little hot under the collar--shame on them.

Absolute crap what happened to Simoncelli, couldn't believe this news after I got home on Sunday. RIP Simoncelli.
    Doc, riding IS my physical therapy.

He was great to watch. He had style and passion. I admired his tenacity. He will be missed.

I just watched the Eurosport race coverage and it was kind of eerie knowing the outcome. He was giving it hell and dicing it up with Bautista until the accident. Man, it would have been a good race. But what was so sad is that after 15-20 min, they were making announcements that he was concise in the med tent. Knowing his level of competitiveness, I can only imagine how hard he was fighting. I hope he didn't live through too much pain. Ciao Marco

R.I.P.
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

If anyone hears of stickers being made, please let me know.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    If anyone hears of stickers being made, please let me know.
    PM sent

I as well.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Wanted to hold off and ask the dude if it was cool if I posted his info on here first. He's on Bay Area Riders Forum (BARF) and made some stickers up.

Just send him $5 and a Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope and he'll send you a decal or two.

Ace Custom Graphics
    2565-C Cloverdale Ave.
    Concord, CA 94518

This video so lightened the mood for me. Hope it shares Sic's funny way for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTZ2...layer_embedded
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    This video so lightened the mood for me. Hope it shares Sic's funny way for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTZ2...layer_embedded
    Man, I wish I spoke Italian...... Good stuff though. Seemed like a light-hearted guy.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Thought that this was a good read in honor of Marco:
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/25...co-simoncelli/
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

Some touching photos from Sic's funeral in Italy today...

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediace...co-simoncelli/

Ciao, Marco.