Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes Plus (Evans / Colorado - Denver)

Thumbs down Brakes Plus (Evans / Colorado - Denver)

Took my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee into them after being told on a visit where my friend took his car to them that it would be just under $200 to change the Transmission Fluid, Front & Rear differential, and Transfer Case. (Friend was happy with his service, so I figured I would go there). Seeing as I live down in Springs but was going to be up there for the night on Tuesday I called them Monday to make sure I could drop it off and get an exact price as the Gentlemen before had advised me to do.

I call and after telling them what my vehicle is, what I want done they put me on hold to get a quote together. The man comes back and says Alignment, Trans, Front & rear Diffs plus Transfer case be $325 before tax...I questioned this only because not knowing what the Alignment cost (added to this vs. the first time I talked to them). I end up saying okay.

Tuesday I take the vehicle up to them at the agreed time. I tell them I am there for the fluids, they say; "For the Alignment?", I say yes but also for the trans, front & rear diffs and the transfer case...guy says "oh". He then goes on how they will write it up for the alignment $60.00 but will have to see what the cost will be for the other things. I question this as they already quoted me $325 before tax. He insisted they needed the vehicle for a firm quote. So what was that on the Phone a number pulled out of ones butt?

They knew it was a Hemi, they knew it needed the special additives because I been telling them that from the start and they assured me they knew that. But some strange reason they want the vehicle for the quote...hmmm I was not born last week I been to many mechanics so far in my life and they typically say okay it be this much...funny how other places can give you a firm quote but these jokers can not.

So I leave the vehicle there, takes them 2 hours to call me. In fact I even call them because I assumed maybe my cell missed the call or something. It's been a long time considering they acted like they have it RIGHT in. They tell me when I call that its in doing the alignment. Okay, so how much longer I asked and do you know the cost for the fluid changes yet? No sir, we need to move it to the next bay to get that information (huh, I never had that done before anywhere else). I do question that by saying, "so you can not tell me what the actual cost is going to be?" I'm just told they call me with a price. They do call me later, guys says with alignment it be $495...huh!!! You went up from $325 to $495!!!!

The sloppy excuse I got was, "well we had no idea on the amount of fluids needed before you got it in here. We needed to look it up by VIN (well why did you not ask me for that information!!!) Funny but I already knew it took 4 quarts between the front & Rear diffs, 2-3 quarts for the transfer case, and 2.5oz of additive in the front with 4oz in the rear, and 1 Gallon of transmission fluid (If that).

Needless to say I told Jake I be in to get the vehicle and pay for the alignment. I did mention if they honored the $325 they have my business but because they changed the quote around it was not cool and I just want to get the vehicle. He did not know how long it be till done...really even at the dealer it only takes 30 minutes to do an alignment if that. They do call 15 minutes later and say its done.

So I run up and get the vehicle. I pay for the alignment and make sure to use a coupon ($10 off), so it was $50. I make sure to ask Jake again WHY did he jack the quote around. He makes it sound like I FORCED him to give me a quote on the phone (hmmm was very willing to give me a quote), I tell him that is what I was TOLD to do by the last guy I talked to when I was there with my FRIEND. He then acts like they NEED the vehicle in a bay to know the fluids. Jake seems to want me out of there and does not seem apologetic...he does mention sorry for the mis-communication but addressed it like it was on my end. Dude, I work on my own vehicles I was being lazy I'm not sure how much more information I could give you (if you needed the VIN for a good quote why not ask me for it???).

After I left I decided to go to the dealer to check out fluids. Yep, Mopar fluids are expensive...but heck going to do it myself...why not do it right. Guy was so friendly att he dealer he told me I could save big $$$$ by getting the 4 quarts of 75-140 at an autoparts store which I did to save even more money. Good thing I went to the Jeep Dealer, guy inform me my transfer case DOES take a different type of fluid vs the transmission. I tell them Brakes Plus said it was the same, he said "it would be but your have the 245 and NEED this fluid which is NOT the same as the Transmission. He said if I had one of the other units then YES it be the same. So Brakes Plus was about to use the WRONG fluid for my transfer case....man did I avoid a bombshell.

They get two stars....because the alignment does seem done correctly so far. Otherwise its a One star place.

I would not recommend Brakes Plus (at least this location) to anyone, they do indeed seem to flip flop prices like others stated here. Oh, and I like how they quoted me $58.00 for the alignment but once in there they said $60.00, when I question it they said "we add $2" for supplies pointing to some huge sign they have.....huh!!! Must get that question a whole lot!!! Why did you just not quote me $60 then on the phone...makes me wonder what other hidden cost would of been on top of the $495. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE, too many other places around to deal with Flip-Flopping idiots.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Brakes Plus (Evans / Colorado - Denver)

Simple solution do your own work on your jeep!!

Brake Plus on Broadway tried to jip me bad once when I went there to get my brakes checked. Went in for one of those $99 brake jobs (yeah right) and next thing I know they call me back and tell me there is a big problem. To make a long story short they tell me because I changed the rim size on my car (same offset, just bigger rims smaller tires). They go on and on how this was the cause and said it was the only reason this could happen and they would have to redo not just the breaks but calipers too. The kicker was I had put those rims on the day before and they had less than 4 miles on the car. Basically didn't know what to tell me when I said that, so then changed and said that my brake pads are not wearing evenly on both sides of the pads (the difference was so minimal it was hard to tell). After some more run around and told them to just put the tires back on and they got very pissed, put my tires back on getting them all full of grease and sent me on my way very upset. Went to someone I trusted and he told me my brakes were fine and there were no problems. Well probably 10K miles on those same brakes and no problems still. I think they get people in with their "specials" then try to get them scared with their hype of bad brakes and try to stick it to them.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Brakes Plus blows.

That is all...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Oh yeah, in my experience all the specialty chain places (Jiffy Lube, Brakes Plus, etc, etc) are always trying to sell you stuff you don't need. Why do you think there is always a "free x-point inspection". So they can find shit to sell you! This is especially bad for women, they will try and sell muffler bearings if possible.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Their official incorporated name is "We fuck up 'brakes plus' everything else"
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

My brakes plus experience:
    15+ years ago.
    Took an old Nova I had to Brakes Plus in Arvada for the $99 job. They take the car into the bay and pull the brakes apart and proceed to tell me I have $400+ worth of work that NEEDS done.

I call my cousin (an ASE certified mechanic) and talk to him, he says "No way. Tell them to put it back together. Bring it here." They tried pulling this "we can't let you drive an unsafe car out of here" crap and ended up making me sign a liability waiver to get my car back.

When I took it to my cuz that afternoon, he finds that they re-installed the brake shoes on backwards. (which could've caused them to function improperly)

After turning the drums and a new set of shoes, I drove that car for three more years, problem free. Cost: $29

Moral of the story:
    Tell all of your friends and family to stay away from those incompetent assholes.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

I do, do my own maintenance...but like everyone I was willing to pay to be lazy.

I knew they up sold lots of chains do...but usually okay to go if you know to say NO and stick to your guns, and when I went in to drop the Jeep off the Jeep "Expert" Joe did try and say well you know you need to do your spark plugs every 30K miles. My response to him, "Yeah, I know that Joe and I did those last week, along with the tire rod ends and I replaced the CV Axle too, I can do all this myself if I wanted Joe". He did then make a remark of, "I bet you can not do the alignment yourself"...yeah now that I think of it he was being pretty rude with his remark back and tone.

All they got from me is $50. I got all the stuff from the dealer and 4 quarts of the 75-140 Gear lube from Advanced Auto Parts.

You know all the vehicles I have owned...I have never had a brake place touch my vehicles. I was taught they were rip-off places by my Grandfather. I can change my own pads and rotors for next to nothing. Rear drums are harder but still easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    Moral of the story:
    Tell all of your friends and family to stay away from those incompetent assholes.
    I posted what I wrote above in my Google review...lol

Fuck Steeles Cycles!!!!!

oh sorry, wrong thread
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I stopped by one on Monday to get a free check on things before the storm. They were very nice and looked everything over and let me know that my blinker fluid was really low. They filled it up for $5 (they gave me a discount for the quart they put in) and sent me on my way.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    My brakes plus experience:
    15+ years ago.
    Took an old Nova I had to Brakes Plus in Arvada for the $99 job. They take the car into the bay and pull the brakes apart and proceed to tell me I have $400+ worth of work that NEEDS done.

I call my cousin (an ASE certified mechanic) and talk to him, he says "No way. Tell them to put it back together. Bring it here." They tried pulling this "we can't let you drive an unsafe car out of here" crap and ended up making me sign a liability waiver to get my car back.

When I took it to my cuz that afternoon, he finds that they re-installed the brake shoes on backwards. (which could've caused them to function improperly)

After turning the drums and a new set of shoes, I drove that car for three more years, problem free. Cost: $29

Moral of the story:
    Sounds similar to the experience I had at a BP once on a pathfinder with ~100k miles. Took it in for an inspection, they came back with some $800 quote of bullshit. I told them I just wanted to make sure the brakes were cool and that was bullshit, the guy went on about how springs had rust and stuff on them and needed to be replaced (umm yeah, they are exposed to the elements and have 100,000 miles on them - some rust is inevitable). I told them to put it back together so I could "think about it". Went 4 wheeling that weekend without thinking much about it, and had it in the dealership the next week for some unrelated stuff. Got a call telling me that the cap to my master cylinder was missing and the entire brake system was packed with mud. Whether intentional or not BP left the cap off, and it almost cost me a vehicle. Never been back there since.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Brakes Plus Thornton on 120th location sucks also.
    Went in for an alignment and was told I needed struts replaced also and shown the leaks. They quoted my $600, i walked out the door.
    I had a local shop do the alignment for $60 and the mechanic laughed when i told him about the leaking struts. He said brakes plus is notorious for spraying wd-40 on parts and quoting "necesary" repairs.
    Whatdja learn?

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Brakes Plus Paying More Than You Should.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

If you need brakes come to me, I give you my employee cost on either OEM or aftermarket parts. All money I make is out of the labor which isn't much either compared to other rates.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

10 years ago I took my 3 year old car in for a $99 break job. I got a call back later that morning with them telling me that the entire break system was basically rusted inside and out and a rolling death machine but they could hook me up to rebuild it for $500.

Later that day at work I mentioned it to the woman from legal and she filled me in on their shady business practices. Long story short I had to get the cops involved to get my car out.

No one gets the $99 job. Their business model is to pray on unsuspecting consumers and convince them they will die driving home if they don't get the breaks "fixed" when nothing is wrong.

Many years ago, my dad took his car into a chain brake repair place.

Same thing happened to him as many other folks on this thread. They claimed that he needed repairs that would cost something like 4X what he was originally quoted. He told them to put it back together and he would come and get it. They were not happy.

He went to the garage and they gave him the car. On the way home a wheel fell off. They hadn't tightened the lug nuts on the wheel.

Being in the car business for almost 15 years I have worked in several different shops and would agree, there is a lot of crooked f'ers out there. The trick to any consumer experience, be it at the restaurant, motorcycle dealer, chain brake repair place, or independent corner store is finding a "guy" you can trust. The name on the building generally means dick without good honest people inside.
    I would like to pass this thread on to my district supervisor, he should know what experiences his customers are getting.

Cornfed,
    Brakes Plus Service Manager

P.S. Let the hate mail fly!
    Last edited by Cornfed; Wed Oct 26th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    On the way home a wheel fell off. They hadn't tightened the lug nuts on the wheel.
    Same happened to my grandmother. rear wheel fell off.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I went to breaks plus for front pads and left with pads, rotors, drums and shoes. They also flushed the break fluid. All this "had to be done". The car stopped great and the pads wore like iron. It cost just over $500. About 2 months and 1000 miles later a spring slipped and killed the drum. When I took it back to them they told me I was SOL but they could fix it for 200. I had a buddy's dad help me take it apart and it looked like they reused the springs. I was 18 and didn't know what I was dealing with. I do most of my own work now.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

I do most of my own work. I didn't always, because I didn't have good access to the kind of information needed to take on those kinds of jobs with confidence (yay internetz!) I think about it now, how much more it costs and the total crap-shoot it can be with the quality of the work compared to doing it myself.

When I do need to see a mechanic, I don't go to a chain. I suck at dealing with sales people. I go see Doug Lappe (Doug's Automotive Service in Arvada). I went to him once thinking it was time for my timing belt replacement. He looked up my car in the manual to find the service interval and said, "You don't need it yet, come back when you hit 90K". (My previous car, an earlier generation of the same model, needed it at 60) He didn't try to sell me an oil change or blinker fluid. I went away and he didn't make any money from me that day. I'd recommend him to anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCBX View Post
    Many years ago, my dad took his car into a chain brake repair place.

Same thing happened to him as many other folks on this thread. They claimed that he needed repairs that would cost something like 4X what he was originally quoted. He told them to put it back together and he would come and get it. They were not happy.

He went to the garage and they gave him the car. On the way home a wheel fell off. They hadn't tightened the lug nuts on the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Same happened to my grandmother. rear wheel fell off.
    Due to economics back in the day and experiences like the ones mentioned, I learned to be my own mechanic. I then became a true motorhead over time.

While I can afford to have a pro repair my vehicles these days, I still prefer to do it myself.

I'm getting ready to redo the brakes on our Tundra.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Being in the car business for almost 15 years I have worked in several different shops and would agree, there is a lot of crooked f'ers out there. The trick to any consumer experience, be it at the restaurant, motorcycle dealer, chain brake repair place, or independent corner store is finding a "guy" you can trust. The name on the building generally means dick without good honest people inside.
    I would like to pass this thread on to my district supervisor, he should know what experiences his customers are getting.

Cornfed,

P.S. Let the hate mail fly!

You sack of shit your service center must suck like all of the others because it is a brakes plus and you should go to hell.

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    True, but amazing how many people have had bad experiences at "Brake Plus" chains in General and that is just here on this forum. So will they really fix Flip-Flopping prices!!! Will they fix wheels falling off!!! Will they fix the whole up sale image they have!!!

Cornfed,
    Not that passing this on will do much, seems like the whole chain needs revamped. The problem I have always had with brake places is in general are the nutty prices they tend to generally charge. Hence why I do my own. Pads do not cost an arm and a leg, nor do rotors (unless you got some fancy cross drilled ones). I know a shop needs to make some money but the quotes they typically give seem more related towards GREED then to making an honest buck. I'm sorry it don't cost $600 for most of the vehicle out there. Even me not having a lift, or tools to make a job faster...it take same a whooping 30 minutes to change rotors and pads on the front of my vehicle (any vehicle I have owned...oh and I tend to change the rotors at the same time for the hell of it, they are so cheap). I think the most was on a full size van I did for my brother in-law that he owned...front rotors where $60 each...pretty dang cheap...not even sure why people resurface them not worth the hassle nor loss of material. Typically it cost me just under $100 to change out the front rotors & pads on the vehicles I have owned (not sure on the Jeep GC yet)...so does that mean Brakes Plus should make $400 from labor if they quotes $500. I think NOT.

Like I said that has always been an issue with me and brake places. I once rolled in with a squeaky rear drum. Dude at the brake place said "that be $120 to blow some air through the drum to clean it out"...I actually laughed in the guys face. I went home and in 15 minutes, did the same thing with my air compressor....it did fix the issue but not worth what he was trying to say. So something that should of been $10 maybe $20 he wanted $120 for. Like I said, it seems brake places are pretty dishonest in general.

Then again I been to honest shops too, they seem hard to find in today's world.

Seeing as you say you work for them, does your shop NEED the vehicle for a quote? Do you give them over the phone only to change them??? If you need the vehicle, why? Does your PC program not tell you all that information, a local mechanics I have used here and elsewhere always did. If he said it was $300, but maybe synthetic was needed and he did not realize it he still stuck to his original quote (just made a little less on the deal). But even so he still made money.