Thread: Not too bad out

Not too bad out

17* on the way in. Breath froze on my shield and no ice to speak of other than on one corner where someone cleaned off the sidewalk by throwing the icy snow into half the street.

I probably should have thrown my sweatshirt on this morning but it wasn't all that bad. Heated gloves and grips did the trick.

Oh, and I have a Fog City liner but when the temps get to the mid teens, breath freezes on contact. With my big honking nose, I get a reverse V so I can see out fine but can't see my instrument panel without moving my head around.

Good stuff

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Re: Not too bad out

Lol nice, I thought about riding to work today but I may be getting sick so gotta chill for a few days on that end till I can shake this off... What heated grips are you running? I use my snowboarding gloves nd though they do the trick, they're very weird to ride with lol.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I've had them on for four or five years so I don't recall. I picked them up for around $40 at Performance Cycles. From what I hear, most of the time these things don't last that long so I've been waiting on them to fail. I think mine will last longer than most in part because it doesn't take all that much twist of the wrist to get going on the 'busa so you don't get the bend back and forth on the connecting wire. I do need to replace my grips though so it might be that time (next year of course).

I used to use my ski gloves until I picked up a set of Gerbings gloves and jacket liner. Plugs into the bike and my hands are toasty warm when I get to work. Which is a good thing as the fingerprint reader won't read my fingerprint if my finger is cold. I usually tuck my hands and particularly my index finger into my pants to keep them warm between the bike and the door but even then it can take 8 or 9 swipes for the reader to recognize me.

And changing from the deerskin summer gloves to the winter Gerbing's is very weird for a few days. Then I get used to it. Switching back is also quite odd.

Carl

there was a ton of black ice up here in the fort last night on my way home...had the ass end up the jeep kick out going straight with hardly any throttle...I'll wait a bit before I ride, but more power to ya

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Thought about riding today, but getting out of my complex would be an adventure in itself. I think the R1 will stay in the garage under it's 49er blanket for another day or so.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I too was considering riding today. Alas, my underarmor is starting to smell like balls.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I rode yesterday, but said ef it today, would have been crazy

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Getting out of my condo complex would have been a show for everyone to watch. However i am thinking the next time there is a good snow storm i may make the ride the day of it and catch it on the gopro. Just sucks because my commute is quite the distance and i have to take the "I" i would have to leave extra extra early to avoid any and all cars.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I too was considering riding today. Alas, my underarmor is starting to smell like balls.
    I don't see a problem here....
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I don't see a problem here....
    Trying to be considerate of the people I need to sit next to in class
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I had a friend who was a motor cop with those electrically heated gloves and sox. he had a short in his sox and burned his foot.

Now he is a friend, but I couldn't stop laughing imagining him on the side of the road jumping up and down and tearing off those nazi riding boots to try to get to those smoking sox.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

There was way to much snow/ice on the way to work for my liking. Maybe the bike is more adventurous than I am?

I rode today, and I will continue to unless there's snow on the road way. Wind chill on the highway sucks balls though. Luckily I have extreme cold weather gear. The only issue is freezing on the shield. Love the BMW-er, the ABS helps out too.

If I can wake my sorry ass up early enough to out all my gear on I will ride Tom

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    If I can wake my sorry ass up early enough to out all my gear on I will ride Tom
    It was warmer this morning by about 8*. Warm enough (around 24) that my breath didn't freeze on the inside of the shield although I picked up some frost riding through the fog.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    It was warmer this morning by about 8*. Warm enough (around 24) that my breath didn't freeze on the inside of the shield although I picked up some frost riding through the fog.

Carl
    I done did ride this morning my baklava kept my breath from freezing on the inside of my face shield.

Only problem i have now is my hands get cold, i have heated grips..or i should say my wife got me heated grips but i cant have them till december

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I done did ride this morning my baklava kept my breath from freezing on the inside of my face shield.

Only problem i have now is my hands get cold, i have heated grips..or i should say my wife got me heated grips but i cant have them till december
    You heard it here first!

Keeps your breath from freezing on your shield!
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    You heard it here first!

Keeps your breath from freezing on your shield!
    Im gonna take a shot in the dark and say perhaps i spelled that wrong?

BALACLAVA

Woke up too late to go pick up the bike this morning lol... I'm itching to ride!
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )