Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With all the BS, Winter, politics and what not going on

With all the BS, Winter, politics and what not going on

Check out my latest creation......

Project Ibanez "Core of the Earth" swirl....

Ibanez Family photo, sorry it's a little grainy...

and one of my other acquisitions: Ibanez RG920QM, doesn't really have anything to do with my swirl project, just love the guitar

So there you have it. Some of dump tons of money in AR15's, or Bikes. My poison happens to be Guitars, though I thoroughly enjoy my guns and my bike. However this is and always will be my first passion.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: With all the BS, Winter, politics and what not going on

Personally I'm not much for musical instruments, but hey those look pretty cool!

Alright since this thread ain't getting much love, here's some pics I shot of the guitar outside in the light. Shows just how much color you actually gain in proper light.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

I'd hold that guitar while looking at myself in the mirror....in ze nude

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I'd hold that guitar while looking at myself in the mirror....in ze nude
    that's usually what I do.. lol!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Nice! I don’t play but can certainly appreciate a cool collection of guitars.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I don't play either but that's a nice collection you've got there. I'm sure you've spent some dime on them and the designs are really cool. Keep up the collection!

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Jem's.

Good lookin' guit-fiddles, brotha! I need to get down to the springs, bring you some beer and let me abuse some of them for an afternoon.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Nice! Now, all you need is an Ex-Satriani "Chrome Boy" and you're set!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

If there were boobies on the guitars, they'd get more love from me The birds would do too, but I'd have to put them in a gumbo.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Jem's.

Good lookin' guit-fiddles, brotha! I need to get down to the springs, bring you some beer and let me abuse some of them for an afternoon.
    So do I, I just don't have the soft spot for the prices on swirled Jem's these days. So my next best thing is to build them. What helps me is I snag older RG's(with the Japan necks, hardware and Edge bridges) and use them as donor guitars. Which I kind of feel bad in doing but not bad enough. Because for the price of a Edge bridge either on Ebay or brand new, I can find RG520's, 550's and 570's for about the same price, plus I get the necks, hardware, etc. The great thing is I get a basically brand new axe for about 1/2 the price of a JEM. I think my PAW swirl cost the most right at $1k for parts, body, etc. The DNA and my Yellow swirl(which I got on a deal from the guitar that paints them, as I've purchased both the PAW and DNA from him)

I've actually got an Edge bridge coming in for the PAW guitar. I had to throw a regular old Floyd Rose in it and it's bugged me ever since. The DNA is non-operational right now, took the Dimarzio's out of it and they went into another guitar. But I'll be adding new pup's back in it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Nice! Now, all you need is an Ex-Satriani "Chrome Boy" and you're set!
    Dude if I could find a Chrome Boy JS, I'd sell my left nut to get it. But they are so hard to come by and when you do find them, they get snatched up quick(that and I can't seem to sell my nut quick enough lol!!). But if I could get a Chrome Boy and then liquidate all of my other guitars in order to get a Chrome Boy, I'd do it in a heart beat.

And believe me, if I had a Chrome Boy it wouldn't be a case queen(which is what most of the Chrome's have become), I'd play the piss out of it, til the chrome falls off

this is basically the "holy grail" of guitars for me... At the moment, the resale value on these has sky-rocketed. I saw one on Ebay recently listed for "Buy It Now" $10,200.00!!

Here's a chrome with the another very limited edition "Crystal Planet" JS
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Mon Nov 28th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Dude if I could find a Chrome Boy JS, I'd sell my left nut to get it. But they are so hard to come by and when you do find them, they get snatched up quick(that and I can't seem to sell my nut quick enough lol!!). But if I could get a Chrome Boy and then liquidate all of my other guitars in order to get a Chrome Boy, I'd do it in a heart beat.

And believe me, if I had a Chrome Boy it wouldn't be a case queen(which is what most of the Chrome's have become), I'd play the piss out of it, til the chrome falls off

this is basically the "holy grail" of guitars for me... At the moment, the resale value on these has sky-rocketed. I saw one on Ebay recently listed for "Buy It Now" $10,200.00!!

Here's a chrome with the another very limited edition "Crystal Planet" JS
    Suh-WHEET! Funny, the "Chrome Boy's" I've seen Joe use (Live in San Francisco DVD, Live in Denver) are more a black chrome. Interesting. He had a new axe when N_N and I saw him last Dec in Denver. AWESOME show! Joe did Andalusia (my new fave) more like it was recorded on the "Professor" (full acoustic beginning) rather than the "Live in Paris DVD" where it's all-electric. The version with the acoustic version is MUCH better. I would have paid the price of admission just for that one song. Next time he's in town, we should go!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Sorry for going against the grain, but I never really cared for the way that any of the JS models played.

Apologies for my blunt-ness, but if anybody spends $10k on an electric guitar, they are an idiot that probably can't play their way out of a paper bag. I would have a hard time paying over $6k for a handmade classical. Why would you spend so much on an electric when the sound is dependent on pick-ups and an amp?

Suh-WHEET! Funny, the "Chrome Boy's" I've seen Joe use (Live in San Francisco DVD, Live in Denver) are more a black chrome. Interesting. He had a new axe when N_N and I saw him last Dec in Denver. AWESOME show! Joe did Andalusia (my new fave) more like it was recorded on the "Professor" (full acoustic beginning) rather than the "Live in Paris DVD" where it's all-electric. The version with the acoustic version is MUCH better. I would have paid the price of admission just for that one song. Next time he's in town, we should go!
    The Chrome's you see Joe playing live(the ones he still will use from time to time) are actually JS2's(old school first gen Chromies). Joe never liked the JS10th(or actual Chrome Boy) because it was made of Luthite(synthetic body) which at the time(1999) was the only way Ibanez could bond the chrome to a guitar body without having it warp. The early JS2's were known for warping and dulling, however with the last iteration(2005) of Chrome Boy's(the JS2PRM) the process seemed to have been updated to the point of being able to add chrome(which is actually atomized stainless steel, with a very thing layer of clearcoat to protect it from discoloring) to wood without it warping and dulling.

Also some of the "black chrome's" you see Joe playing are probably his regular JS1000BP(black pearl). I had one and in the right light would give off a very black chrome appearance.

Sorry for going against the grain, but I never really cared for the way that any of the JS models played.

Apologies for my blunt-ness, but if anybody spends $10k on an electric guitar, they are an idiot that probably can't play their way out of a paper bag. I would have a hard time paying over $6k for a handmade classical. Why would you spend so much on an electric when the sound is dependent on pick-ups and an amp?
    (Darth Vaderish)NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

HAHA!! ah it's all good man. I'm a huge fan of the JS series. Probably why I've had more JS's that actual Jem's. I've only ever owned one "factory" Jem and it was the Jem 7DBK. As for JS's, I've had 4 JS100's, JS20S and JS1000. I personally love the necks on JS guitars. Kind of reminiscent of the old school Ultra necks that came on the completely bad ass 540R's(Radius <-------the guitar I wish Ibanez would bring back, a line of guitars I could single handed support HAHA). But see the original JS necks were based on Satriani's affinity for Fender Strat necks. Which I'm very partial to as well.

As for the JS Chrome Boy's it's not so much about paying $10k for one. It's about it being a guitar that really has a place with me when I was a growing musician. The Chrome Boy('99) came out with Satch's Crystal Planet album(my all time favorite) and for me it's more good memories than anything else. And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't pay $10K for one, I've seen them go as low as $3500 to $4000. Which is a price I'd gladly pay for one.

And see I'd also have to disagree on the guitar's sound being solely dependent on Pick-ups and Amps. I firmly believe that wood plays a huge part with how a guitar will resonate.

A good case in point(a quick story), over on Jemsite.com Forums, a guy decided to end a heated debate we had going over there about tone, wood and a persons hands affecting the tone of a guitar. He decided to do an experiment. He took three guitars(Epiphone SG, Gibson Studio Les Paul and a run of the mill Jem 777SK "pink").

His challenge to Jemsiter's was to have us listen to all three guitars(in random order) being played all on a clean channel, and played the exact same lick or progression on all three guitars. At the end, we all had to post in the correct "Order" the guitars in which he played them in. All guitars used were in "stock" form.

He did two rounds(Round 1 - clean tone, Round 2 - was dirty), was supposed to do a round 3 but I think two rounds were enough to settle it. Here's the funny part. In Round 1, only Myself and one other guy nailed the correct order in which the guitars being played were. Round 2, I believe it was only Myself and two others that got it right.

In Round 2, he asked us to explain our reasons(in both Round 1 and 2) for choosing why each guitar was the guitar we heard. I gave my explanations and basically broke it down to just a paragraph on each guitar.

The Les Paul, was booming, obviously the mahogany body & neck, the stop bar bridge and pick-ups clearly gave the Gibson the most full, booming and tone of clarity. The Epiphone SG was easy to pick out(and was always my first to recognize in the Rounds) as it had the tone of the guitar, yet lacked the overall punch and boom of a full bodied Les Paul. The SG being the same scale of the Les Paul, still have that full and organic tone. The Jem on the other hand was very brittle, fuzzy and wooden sounding. Didn't have the punch or boom of the Les Paul, nor the clarity of it either. Yet it had more output(obviously with the Dimarzio PAF's) than the Epiphone. Yet still with it's upgraded pup's, it lacked the overall thump of the Epiphone, it just wasn't heavy enough. You could tell that the Jem, had a Maple fretboard(the Les Paul and SG had rosewood) because it was very bright, which I'm sure attributed to it's brittle tone. Rosewood historically always gives off very warm and mild tones.

It was a very interesting experiment and I think put to rest the whole tone debate. Because the guys always beating the drum of "pedals, pups, amps, and rack equipment" always makes your tone. You didn't hear a peep out of those guys. Because with the exception of I think two or three of the those guys, none of the others were able to even get 2 out of 3 right. Most of them got 1 out of 3 correct and the rest were all 0 out of 3. They completely got the guitars wrong.

And I had to explain, that I firmly believe in pup's, pedals, rack mounts, etc. But in my humble opinion, feel that those things help "shape" your tone but don't actually create it. Your tone is created with your hands, the wood of the guitar. Everyone has their own "signature" tone, which is why you can pick out Vai, Satch or Malmsteen when they play. And personally I feel that goes a long way in creating the tone you're inevitably after. If your hear a tone in your mind(the tone your after) the best way to translate it into reality is through your hands.

Lastly, this is my belief on tone. I don't think I'm right, because in the quest for sound and tone, everyone have their own ideas into making what they hear in their head come to fruition when they play.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

(Darth Vaderish)NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    You know me, I have to cause a few ripples in the water when it comes to this stuff.

I see what you're saying about the experiment, but honestly, it's kind of flawed. There are still too many variables to shaping the sound. All of those come with different pup's, which drastically change the tone. Also, don't forget about major set-up variations between the height of the strings from the fretboard, as well as the height of the strings from the pup. These can cause HUGE differences in sound. The only true controls that the experiment offers, is the sequence of notes and the chord/amp. What would be more interesting, is put the exact same pup in a guitar, the exact same measurements for all specs, the same chord and amp...and then see if you can tell the difference. It might be possible, but it would be very, very hard.

Truth be told, I believe that the tone is a combination of a lot of things. Most importantly the player, then the set-up, then the pups, then the amp. The smallest factor is the actual guitar. It's fun that everybody has a difference of opinion on how to change tone. Look at Eric Johnson, he believes that a portion of his tone is generated through fresh batteries. He and I do not share this same philosophy.

Well there is one on ebay right now, so hurry up and sell that left nut!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-JS2PR...item4ab130c8f3

Damn basically brand new from this description
    "This guitar has not been played and still has the plastic on the neck pickup and on the back plate! It has just been sitting in the case tucked away for the last few years. The case is also in Excellent condition with a couple of minor scuffs on the bottom."
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

"This guitar has not been played"

What a shame.

What a shame.
    It is crying inside!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

You know me, I have to cause a few ripples in the water when it comes to this stuff.

I see what you're saying about the experiment, but honestly, it's kind of flawed. There are still too many variables to shaping the sound. All of those come with different pup's, which drastically change the tone. Also, don't forget about major set-up variations between the height of the strings from the fretboard, as well as the height of the strings from the pup. These can cause HUGE differences in sound. The only true controls that the experiment offers, is the sequence of notes and the chord/amp. What would be more interesting, is put the exact same pup in a guitar, the exact same measurements for all specs, the same chord and amp...and then see if you can tell the difference. It might be possible, but it would be very, very hard.

Truth be told, I believe that the tone is a combination of a lot of things. Most importantly the player, then the set-up, then the pups, then the amp. The smallest factor is the actual guitar. It's fun that everybody has a difference of opinion on how to change tone. Look at Eric Johnson, he believes that a portion of his tone is generated through fresh batteries. He and I do not share this same philosophy.
    See I agree to just about everything you said. I think where we differ is our point of view on the variables(amp, effects, pups, etc.) See for me, I believe they all help to accentuate your tone. While some guys(like on Jemsite) fully believe that's the main key to their tone.

As far as pick-ups are concerned. I've tried tons of them(Dimarzio's and GFS pups). And while I can see the obviously differences between say a Dimarzio Super Distortion and an Evolution. I can still get my tone from both of them, regardless that they are at opposite ends of the "high output" pickup spectrum. Same goes with like a Dimarzio Fred and a Evolution or Tone Zone. The Fred is a medium output pick up and lacks overall output. But I can still nail my tone and make all three sound exactly the same. While the Tone Zone may be designed to boost Low's and Mids and the Fred for subtle highs and mids with moderate low's, I can still get my tone from both. All it really takes is a small to the amp's settings or maybe rolling the gain back a tad on the overdrive pedal.

Now I will admit that all pick-ups have their own brand of tone they give off. A Fred, Air Norton or PAF Pro give off very warm and organic characteristics. While a Evolution, X2N, or Tone Zone tend to throw off a very harsh metallic flavor of tone. Ideally it's all about how you want your pups to drive your amp. Myself, I tend to favor a blend of Satriani, Garry Moore and Malmsteen type of tone(warm, fat, with good harmonics and a bit of glassiness but still with some punch. I'm also a sustain freak).

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Well there is one on ebay right now, so hurry up and sell that left nut!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-JS2PR...item4ab130c8f3

Damn basically brand new from this description
    "This guitar has not been played and still has the plastic on the neck pickup and on the back plate! It has just been sitting in the case tucked away for the last few years. The case is also in Excellent condition with a couple of minor scuffs on the bottom."
    Yeah that's the same one I've seen pop up a few times on Ebay. Problem is, I'm not sure my "left nut" is worth that much!!! HAHA!! that and I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to extract it, with the most minimal amount of pain and issues. It's not like I can have a regular doctor do it, I have to go black market with this kind of thing. LOL!!!

What a shame.
    A very crying shame. This is why I'll never own a case queen. I can't keep my hands of any guitar. And for sure that's what is driving the price on this up so high. The illusion of supreme "mint" condition. You give me that guitar and in about a weeks time, it will be scratched to hell from pick marks and hand marks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Look at Eric Johnson, he believes that a portion of his tone is generated through fresh batteries. He and I do not share this same philosophy.
    ....or talent.......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

....or talent.......
    And thank god for that. I'm glad I'm more fluent than wanking on pentatonic's all day. He has some interesting interval choices in his lines, but that's about it. And they are only in variations of five signature licks. Before responding to this I went and listened to a few tracks of his new album (and also the live in Austin) and he's playing the same licks that he was 15 years ago, only in a more mediocre way. He has a certain melodic sense to his playing, maybe that due to lack of serious chops, or maybe it's his style? I don't mind listening to him, but I don't really feel like he's saying anything new in songs. And he either needs to come to terms with being a pop singer or hire a vocalist. I can't stand his singing.

I'll go back to listening Ah Via Musicom every few years and remember it fondly. After re listening to it as I type this, i really enjoy it, and his technique sounds better. Maybe that's true, or maybe I'm just being nostalgic because I used to listen to the shit out of this album?

Sorry BK, I'm sure you won't agree with this post.

On a side note, one day I will own another one of these. My sweet Jesibelle

And thank god for that. I'm glad I'm more fluent than wanking on pentatonic's all day. He has some interesting interval choices in his lines, but that's about it. And they are only in variations of five signature licks. Before responding to this I went and listened to a few tracks of his new album (and also the live in Austin) and he's playing the same licks that he was 15 years ago, only in a more mediocre way. He has a certain melodic sense to his playing, maybe that due to lack of serious chops, or maybe it's his style? I don't mind listening to him, but I don't really feel like he's saying anything new in songs. And he either needs to come to terms with being a pop singer or hire a vocalist. I can't stand his singing.

I'll go back to listening Ah Via Musicom every few years and remember it fondly. After re listening to it as I type this, i really enjoy it, and his technique sounds better. Maybe that's true, or maybe I'm just being nostalgic because I used to listen to the shit out of this album?

Oh I agree actually. As much as I like Eric Johnson's playing and his incredible tone. He is rather boring to listen to. I think what kills it for me(and like you mentioned) is his singing. Man he ruins songs with that effeminate voice of his. I much more prefer to listen to his instrumentals.

And I agree as well about Ah Via Musicom, I think that was probably his best album. Venus Isle wasn't bad, wasn't great either. But who can forget "Cliffs of Dover"?? It's his signature song and probably for good reason. That was a great album and to be honest, I haven't listened to it in years. Don't even think I have it loaded on my computer, guess I probably need to.

You'll find another Jem like that one. I see those pop up on Jemsite from time to time. Seems like these days though, guys are getting boners for that 80's colors again. So all of the Desert Yellows, Pinks and of course Loch Ness Green's are coming back in style. Florals are still popular and I think they always will be, with that niche crowd that digs them. The new FP2 Floral isn't bad either, not great though(not for the price anyways).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

It's easy to have a negative opinion when you aren't even close to his level of playing. I'll never claim to be as I don't even play anymore, but you don't get to play with Satriani on numerous G3 tours without having mad skillz.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

And I agree as well about Ah Via Musicom, I think that was probably his best album. Venus Isle wasn't bad, wasn't great either. But who can forget "Cliffs of Dover"?? It's his signature song and probably for good reason. That was a great album and to be honest, I haven't listened to it in years. Don't even think I have it loaded on my computer, guess I probably need to.
    Yeah, when I was listening to Cliffs of Dover, he was on it. Great phrasing and technique. I just didn't get that vibe from the newer tracks I listened to. And when he does the Texas swing thing, it's cool that he's being diverse, but I'd much rather listen to Brent Mason or somebody.

You'll find another Jem like that one. I see those pop up on Jemsite from time to time.
    Yeah, one day when I have a bit more cash in my pocket, I'll really seek one out. After getting stolen when my apt in Boston got broken into, I've vowed to always get another one.

This has been my main axe since the Jem got stolen back in '97. I bought it brand new and have played the living hell out of it, over the years.

It's easy to have a negative opinion when you aren't even close to his level of playing.
    It's easy to assume that I can't play.