Thread: Update Video card

Update Video card

Sorry, got another techie question for the infinite knowledge of the CSC.

But first

Okay, now the question. I hooked a desktop HP, that's about 7 y/o, to my TV hoping to play hulu and other online streaming vids. My buddy came over, helped me out and we got everything working, only trouble is the video card. It's not fast enough to smoothly play Hulu streaming video. I think the video card I have in there is a Radeon 9200? He suggested getting something more current in the computer but isn't really familiar with hardware and what's good/bad. He said that the rest of the computer is fine and there should be enough power behind it to play, it's the video card that's the weak link. I can also hook up my Macbook and play it with no troubles.

Is there an affordable option to getting it to play smoothly? I don't do games or anything else, just want a smooth video. Thoughts?

Thanks y'all!

Re: Update Video card

Doesn't really matter what you get. Look on newegg, sort by ratings, and pick something in your price range.

Since its so old, that's probably a PCI slot and not PCI-E, right?
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Mon Nov 28th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Since its so old, that's probably a PCI slot and not PCI-E, right?
    His current card is an AGP slot.

You'll need an AGP card (as opposed to the now common PCI-e slot cards) since it's so old. THIS ONE looks to be pretty decent at just under $50, with 4 times the memory of your current card. THIS ONE is only $40.

Whatever you look at, make sure it's an AGP slot card, and that your power supply is strong enough to handle the increased load (the two above look like they need at least a 300w power supply).
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Oh yeah, AGP.

lawl

Pretty sure that's what Moses used to watch movies on the Ark.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Lemme poke around my basement briefly before you order something, I might actually have one in the Island of Misfit Tech (aka my old used computer pile).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    Whatever you look at, make sure it's an AGP slot card, and that your power supply is strong enough to handle the increased load (the two above look like they need at least a 300w power supply).
    For some reason I thought it was a PCI slot?

Thanks for bringing the idea of power supply to my attention. I would have never thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Pretty sure that's what Moses used to watch movies on the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Lemme poke around my basement briefly before you order something, I might actually have one in the Island of Misfit Tech (aka my old used computer pile).
    Cool, thanks Ralph!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    For some reason I thought it was a PCI slot?
    Well, upon further investigation it looks like there was also a PCI version of the 9200, so you could in fact be rockin' a PCI slot card. Better check the physical layout of the card to be sure.

Hope this helps:
    Last edited by Darth Do'Urden; Mon Nov 28th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

If Ralph doesn't find anything I know I have an old AGP card in the basement, the only issue is it is fan cooled and you can hear the fan running. Nothing wrong with the fan, it is just noisy

Sorry for the delay on this.

I'm not 100% sure what I have? The computer is a HP Pavilion a706n. According to this link, it looks like it's a APG. But after looking at the insides, it says it's a Radeon 128 PCI and the plastic housing is white (like in Darth's image). So do you think it's a PCI?

If so, would even the newer, cheap cards work? Example: Link
    Or are there certain specs I would need to meet? Again, I just want to show video on my TV. It's a 42" Sony Bravia 1080 (only a year old) and it doesn't have to be in the greatest pic for internet watching.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

According to that link it's probably AGP by the slot available, but it also indicates the video is integrated onto the motherboard. Is there onboard video and a separate video card both in this thing? Can you post a pic that shows what you're talking about?

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Yes, there is an integrated video. It's not very good though. Hence the additional card.

Do you want a pic of the inside of the computer?

Could also buy a little newer used machine probably for cheap.

I was going to say, my old one...but I think I will keep it because of the case right now for when I build the next PC.

I would checkout: http://www.tlccomputerrepair.com located in Monument. Talk with the owner Damian...he might be selling stuff cheap my wife says he is moving to TX and selling the business (he might have a system laying around that you get cheap). Tell him Mark & Sheila Odette sent you.

How about an Apple TV box. $99? And if for some reason you need to sell it, say next July or June you could probably get a good price for it.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Also to let you know, the last HP I opened used a Proprietary connected on the power supply to the motherboard. If your good with wiring you can get around this by rewiring the power supply, that is what I did for a shop HP PC.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    How about an Apple TV box. $99? And if for some reason you need to sell it, say next July or June you could probably get a good price for it.
    Maybe not, looks like they won't let Hulu stream to it. Takes away from iTunes rentals.
    Unless you hack it.
    http://apple-tv-hacks.com/apple-tv-hulu-demonstration/

To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Could also buy a little newer used machine probably for cheap.
    It runs well enough to do everything else I want. I figure a $20-30 part is cheaper than buying a new rig. Plus, with as many tech buffs as we have on the board, there a chance I could get it even cheaper or free. rforsythe and Longrider were already generous enough to dig through their old parts. But thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    Thought about that, but I still want to run itunes, spotify and load up some movies I have on MP4 (Long Way Round/MotoGP). I feel like AppleTV would limit me. But thanks for throwing it out there!

That or I figured he would have a card maybe for cheap...he gets a lot of PC's he repairs then people flake and don't come to claim them or whatever. So he either strips them and sells the parts on ebay or sells the whole system if its even worth anything. If its really worth not much he has to recycle the parts and he gets a few bucks for that.

Like I said worth a shot, I never dealt with him on a business level...but he seems like a stand up guy. Seemed he has a ton of systems just laying around when I been in where the owners have flaked.

A used AGP card, your talking $5-$10....LOL I know its a drive...why I said might have a cheap system...by cheap I was thinking $50-$100. Something newer then you have, play HD video better (I know my 7 year old PC did not like 1080 video). Plus if your power supply is not up to snuff for a better card, again might be cheaper to get a used system that is 3-4 years old for what you need.

I might let you have a power supply, I got a few....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yes, there is an integrated video. It's not very good though. Hence the additional card.

Do you want a pic of the inside of the computer?
    Maybe just the video card in it...

I'll dig through parts before the toy run, if I have one I will bring it with me Sunday.

than sincere ignorance

I have one of these for my media center thats hooked up to my tv, its pretty handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Wireless-...2801695&sr=8-1

How's this shot, Ralph? Does it give you the info you need? Thanks for all of the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    I have one of these for my media center thats hooked up to my tv, its pretty handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Wireless-...2801695&sr=8-1
    That's not bad. I actually picked up a wireless keyboard/mouse from Radio Shack a while back. Found one on clearance. It's not bad!

before you spend money on a new card, have you tried updating your old card? Most people don't bother to run updates for their video cards once they buy them. You can go to the radeon website and search for any new updates for your card. They release updates for old cards pretty regularly. I'd try that first if nothing else is wrong with your old card. It only costs a little bit of time. Good luck either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    before you spend money on a new card, have you tried updating your old card? Most people don't bother to run updates for their video cards once they buy them. You can go to the radeon website and search for any new updates for your card. They release updates for old cards pretty regularly. I'd try that first if nothing else is wrong with your old card. It only costs a little bit of time. Good luck either way.
    When me and my buddy were setting up the computer, he was updating all of the drivers and software. I'm about 95% sure he checked this too, but it's not a bad thing to double check. Thanks!