Thread: Calling all VFR Riders???

Board Newbie

Calling all VFR Riders???

Want to know if any other VFR owners have had this issue. A couple of weeks ago I started my 97 VFR to ride it home from a local spot. Started up fine and as I was pulling away the head light went dim and the tach and speedo went nuts and the engine wanted to die. If I kept up the RPM's it would misfire, backfire and somewhat run. I got it home and checked the battery voltage and it was 13.5 volts. I charged it up to full 14.5 and let it sit over night and most of the next day and re-measured it at 14.2 volts. Put the battery back in the bike it acted up again, then has ran fine for 2 weeks and 200+ miles.

Today it started freaking out again with the same symptoms. For some reason I am thinking I should try a new battery first, only because it is the relatively cheap compared to a voltabe rectifier etc.

Ever seen this issue????

VFR's are notorious for cooking voltage regulators. However you can probably find one on ebay or something cheaper than OEM, worst case Ron Ayers can probably get it cheap.

That'd be my bet on what your problem is. Usually the bike just dies completely though...

Also try Aurora Honda, Near Potomac and Alameda off of I-225. I have yet to find a dealer here in town who can match their price on OEM stuff.
    Great customer service also.
    I was buying OEM parts for my CBR1000 from alot of the internet shops untill I checked their prices. Never again! The longest I've waited for an OEM part is 2 days.
    Jeff

Board Newbie
    Thanks for the good advise.......

Shiner

I'll bet money it's the RR. Put a PC fan on it if you replace it. If you buy used, you're going to get the same on that's on there. Buy new and you get the updated version that has cooling fins. IIRC they're about $200.
    '02 6R, Green one
    '92 VFR

zx6r.com

Mine did that, too. Get a new R/R, and don't skimp; and get a new battery. The r/r goes because the battery is old and it's working overtime trying to keep it charged.

This was discussed at length on the vfr forum...

It was the general concensus that changing the battery every couple of years kept the r/r from going out.

Good luck.

Oh, Honda of Milpitas has great prices.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com