Thread: Apartments in the Denver/Aurora area

Apartments in the Denver/Aurora area

I move back to CO from AL in January and I will be looking for a place to live. I'm not too familiar with Denver or Aurora so I could use some help. Just looking for a place that's around $800 or below, does either month to month, 3 month, or 6 month leases, and is within about 30 minutes from Buckley AFB. If anyone has any ideas, place let me know. Thanks.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Apartments in the Denver/Aurora area

I don't know anywhere specific, but $800 is definitely doable, even downtown. Check out padmapper.com
    '07 Monster 695

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Just an FYI for your benefit do not get an apartment that is close to Buckley in aurora the drive will be convenient but getting your car broken into won't!

There are alot of areas in Denver and some nice spots in southern aurora to get a place.

Apartmentfinder.com

They just built these apartments around the corner from us. They have attached garages, and you wouldn't be too far from Buckley (Parker and Arapahoe).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjz...ent-com_travel

Why not live on base?

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Just an FYI for your benefit do not get an apartment that is close to Buckley in aurora the drive will be convenient but getting your car broken into won't!

There are alot of areas in Denver and some nice spots in southern aurora to get a place.

Apartmentfinder.com
    ok...

I used to live downtown. In the two years I lived down there, my room mate's car was broken into or had the windows smashed out 6 times.

My parents live a couple of miles from you and they've had their cars broken into. In fact I caught one in the act one night... It was rather funny... for me.

I now live out near Buckley and also have a rental property right down the street. I feel no less safe here than anywhere else.

It's Aurora, find a neighborhood that's not a hell hole and call it good.

As for the OP. Check out the Southlands area. Definitely in your price range and a quick commute to BAFB.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check some of those places out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    Why not live on base?
    I'm in the Army guard so I doubt I'm even able to do that unless I was active. Tried commuting for a month from Fort Collins a little over a year ago and I'm no fan of 2 hours commutes.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Southlands is def nice!!

Salsa I lived off of mississipi and Buckley..it sucked the jeep was broken into 4 times in 1 year.

^^ Almost bought a house over there... I don't blame you for not liking the area.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'll check some of those places out.

I'm in the Army guard so I doubt I'm even able to do that unless I was active. Tried commuting for a month from Fort Collins a little over a year ago and I'm no fan of 2 hours commutes.
    Pretty sure it's open right now. Last time I was over at the housing office they had a sign up, housing is open to Guard/Reserves/Retirees/and bachelors who receive BAH. They obviously are having a hard time keeping it filled.

I can't complain with my place. 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, two story, "two car" garage but it's 21 x 30. I fit my 54" snap on tool chest, two roll carts, motorcycle trailer, two motorcyles, my GMC envoy, my 4 door saturn, a chest freezer, and a bunch of parts all in my garage.

You should check into it. Super nice only going .9 miles to work every day.

My garage, when I first moved in. Stuff with all the items mentioned above now.

Welcome back to CO!!!!! Let me know if you want me to mail you one of those apt guides (booklets).

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    Pretty sure it's open right now. Last time I was over at the housing office they had a sign up, housing is open to Guard/Reserves/Retirees/and bachelors who receive BAH. They obviously are having a hard time keeping it filled.
    Unless they put me on orders for a couple weeks then I won't be getting any BAH. My unit hasn't told me anything about what I'm doing when I get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Welcome back to CO!!!!! Let me know if you want me to mail you one of those apt guides (booklets).
    If you wouldn't mind that would be awesome.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Bristol Village is a gated community next to the base. Affordable. Internet situation sucks but if that isn't a major factor than hit me up, we can split the referral money.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Unless they put me on orders for a couple weeks then I won't be getting any BAH. My unit hasn't told me anything about what I'm doing when I get back.

If you wouldn't mind that would be awesome.
    Getting BAH is not a requirement. I was trying to say even those single active duty guys, like the E5 who is living in the barracks, can opt to switch to base housing, they just have to change his entitlements and give him his BAH so he can then give it to the privatized housing company.

Not sure what it is for guard/reserve, but an active duty friend of mine who is retiring in two months just went and checked for housing as a retiree. They told him $1100/month.

Hibs is correct that housing is not very full and they are letting USAR/NG/AD all move in. I know some TECHs that live in housing and they do not recieve BAH they just pay out of pocket.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    Hibs is correct that housing is not very full and they are letting USAR/NG/AD all move in. I know some TECHs that live in housing and they do not recieve BAH they just pay out of pocket.
    I honestly think it would be a hassle to live on post due to all the rules you've got to follow, but that may just be with Ft. Rucker, I don't know. Do you know how much a smaller house or townhouse would be on post?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I honestly think it would be a hassle to live on post due to all the rules you've got to follow, but that may just be with Ft. Rucker, I don't know. Do you know how much a smaller house or townhouse would be on post?
    The smallest homes are the E1-E4 which are fourplexes, but still are 3 bedroom 2.5 bath two story and a one car garage. Next up is the duplexes which are the same inside just a 2 car garage. Top of the line is officer housing which are single family homes.

As far as rules or "hassle" with living on base, it's no different then any other apartment. Don't leave trash in your yard, scoop snow from the sidewalk in front of your house, don't be running a sledgehammer in your garage at midnight. Really there is no hassle. I do work on my bikes / cars in my garage all the time. My neighbor just got done painting his entire car in his garage. We've stay up till 1am having parties on the weekends. Never had an issue. It's safe, it's convenient, and the houses are pretty nice. Worth coming and at least looking into it.

^^ just don't be that guy who resets the "Days since last DUI: ___" sign at the gate!

So I've done some more searching and there's a good chance I may be rooming with a buddy of mine from college which would keep the costs down. I decided I'd like to live close-ish to downtown and/or have easy access to the light rail. I stumbled upon these apartments that would be in my price range if I had a roommate and it's a mile away from a light rail station. Anyone know about Broadstone Vesta apartments? Haven't found a ton of reviews but it seems like the only downside would be parking which might be an issue since I'll also have my rocket. http://www.broadstonevesta.com/about.html
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I think the parking would be a major downside. Looking at the site plan, I didn't notice any garages and I don't know if I'd want to leave my bike unsecured in that area.

Turns out my friend doesn't have the cash flow to move out yet and I'm on a time crunch since I start driving back on Tuesday. I stumbled on this site: http://www.apartmentguyz.com/. Anyone have any experience with these guys? They've got great Google reviews but they're all 5 star reviews which makes me a little suspicious that they might be planting some of them.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

My best friend lives next to these....
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.675...num=1&t=w&z=20

The guy that bought the apartments came in and totally gutted and remodeled them. even put a new roof on the place. Has done a great job fixing them up. Not sure what he ask...and not sure if that would work with your motorcycle, the ground floor might as you could roll the bike inside through the patio doors. Sorry I don't know the rental company number...but last I was by they had a sign so they still have units left.

Benefit is some good bars in walking distance. Light rail is around the corner, walking distance but a 2 minute car ride over. Good for if you like to go out and drink downtown and don't want to risk a DUI.
    Last edited by modette99; Mon Jan 30th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Do you have the name of the apartment complex?
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Sorry I have no clue....I posted it just in case your going to be in the area you can drive by.

But also just look around, I want to say my friend paid $1,000 a month for a Condo...with a garage and it was a very nice place.

Found this site:
    http://www.aurorarent.com

The hard part with a motorcycle is finding a garage (safe location), maybe you can find a house someone that is looking to lower their mortgage or make a little extra money by renting out a room in a nice big home.