Thread: New Record

Thumbs up New Record

I hit my new record this morning of -10 degrees F on the Hayabusa.

Gear:
    Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket with the rain shell plus a sweatshirt under that.
    Joe Rocket waterproof pants with the liner.
    Gerbing heated gloves.
    Heated grips (forget who's they are).
    Thin red scarf for the neck and chin.
    Flip up helmet with Fog City liner.
    Two drinking straws.

The drinking straws is something I thought of a few years ago but this is the first time I remembered to grab a couple.

The Fog City liner works great for keeping fog off of your shield however at about 17 degrees F, your breath freezes on contact with the liner. I did buy the Froggy Pro face mask but it doesn't work with all facial types, mine being one of them. It's supposed to seal around your nose and face redirecting your breath out the bottom of the helmet. I have a pretty large nose and somewhat pointed features along with a big jaw. So the mask doesn't seal well around the top of the nose and my jaw presses against the helmet. With no place for the air to go, it goes up and out up at the top and freezes on the shield.

Anyway, I snagged a couple of straws this morning and used them as a breathing apparatus. They're the drink straws with the accordion folds. So I put on my scarf and helmet then ran the straws through the helmet straps to point backwards. I put the short end in my mouth. It took a little coordination but I finally got the breathe in via the nose, breathe out via the straws. It didn't take long for me to feel comfortable doing it and I was on my way.

The Hayabusa had a slight problem starting this morning taking 6 or 7 tries for it to kick over and for me to catch it to lock the throttle. And she backfired once during normal riding. But in general, we made a 30 minute run with no real problems.

There was a slight air leak on the right side of the helmet so my face got a touch cold and the left Gerbing glove had some sort of issue with the thumb portion (my thumb got very cold). But I made it in without issue.

We'll see if the bike can maintain a charge all day while sitting in the parking lot. It's supposed to get to 27 today.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Re: New Record

Dang... that is pretty intense.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

The fun bit was the exhaust from the straws. The left shoulder of my jacket had a large patch of frozen spit and the right straw had a marble sized frozen spit ball on the end. I imagine had I spent more than about 40 minutes coming to work, it might have eventually blocked the exit which would have been a problem for the inside of the helmet.

Carl

Dude mad props... I would've liked to ride in this morning but don't have the proper gear
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I would've liked to ride in this morning but we're in fucking colorado
    fixed

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

That is awesome man the lowest ive gone is 15 degrees Kudos man!!!!!!!

holy shit! that is some serious fucking dedication. what took longer...the ride or getting ready for it?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    holy shit! that is some serious fucking dedication. what took longer...the ride or getting ready for it?
    The ride actually. I have all the gear in one place. I just had to throw on my sweatshirt and the pants liner which added a minute or so to normal suit up.

While my normal commute is short (about 15 minutes), I took an extra lap in order to get to the 30 minute/highway speed commuting mark I use to determine record setting.

Carl

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

DAMN! Go you!
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Carl, you're a braver man than I. I seriously thought about riding in this morning, but the ice in the cul-de-sac was too damn slippery. By that I mean I slipped and fell on my ass just trying to walk across it.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Wow.

Carl makes us all look like pussies.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

I have a question do you think that a Balaklava will keep the visor from freezing?

If i can get a day where there isn't a ton of ice but the temps are as low as today or lower i may try to challenge your record.

The funny thing about the Denver area and specifically Longmont is how different the weather is just a few miles down the road. We did get the three snow storms (and I rode in Friday as well ) but they don't impact Longmont like it does Castle Rock for instance. So there's about a 2 car length swatch of frozen snow (shadow ice from the tree), the rest of the roads are clear. Even the treacherous parking lot is clear up to the motorcycle parking area which is covered in icy snow.

Back when I rode from Broomfield to Longmont (worked at IBM), there was a clear drop in temps when crossing 52 on 286. Like 10 degrees. So it's colder here. But the precipitation seems to center more south and west of here.

So yea, it was a good solid -10 degree ride. But you can't look out your window and compare the two places. There's just too much difference in the weather patterns.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I have a question do you think that a Balaklava will keep the visor from freezing?

If i can get a day where there isn't a ton of ice but the temps are as low as today or lower i may try to challenge your record.
    Nope. You need something to redirect your breath out of the helmet so it doesn't condense and freeze on the visor. You may be able to use a Foggy Pro to redirect your breath out. I know of others that are able to use it successfully. I have a facial liability which prevents it from working for me.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    The funny thing about the Denver area and specifically Longmont is how different the weather is just a few miles down the road. We did get the three snow storms (and I rode in Friday as well ) but they don't impact Longmont like it does Castle Rock for instance. So there's about a 2 car length swatch of frozen snow (shadow ice from the tree), the rest of the roads are clear. Even the treacherous parking lot is clear up to the motorcycle parking area which is covered in icy snow.

Back when I rode from Broomfield to Longmont (worked at IBM), there was a clear drop in temps when crossing 52 on 286. Like 10 degrees. So it's colder here. But the precipitation seems to center more south and west of here.

So yea, it was a good solid -10 degree ride. But you can't look out your window and compare the two places. There's just too much difference in the weather patterns.

Carl

I've observed similar behavior on highway 7 between 85 and I-25. Fluctuations of up to 15 degrees.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    The ride actually. I have all the gear in one place. I just had to throw on my sweatshirt and the pants liner which added a minute or so to normal suit up.

While my normal commute is short (about 15 minutes), I took an extra lap in order to get to the 30 minute/highway speed commuting mark I use to determine record setting.

Carl
    Cool! And, extra kudos for extending the ride with a second lap.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

You're nuts.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

was that -10 with the windchill? i remember i did a cold ride, but it was short from house to work when i used to be located at chester and dry creek.....only thing that was cold was the fingers. it felt like minus 10....folks thought i was knuts as well. That morning it was low to mid 20's, but again it was only 5 to 6 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    was that -10 with the windchill?

Er..no..-10 BEFORE the windchill

My personal record is +7...my commute is 28 miles each way, wind chill at 70 mph was -25.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    was that -10 with the windchill? i remember i did a cold ride, but it was short from house to work when i used to be located at chester and dry creek.....only thing that was cold was the fingers. it felt like minus 10....folks thought i was knuts as well. That morning it was low to mid 20's, but again it was only 5 to 6 miles.
    Nope, before windchill. The bike thermometer which has the sensor down at the fork reported it at -10. I wasn't sure it was going to work though. It sat at 0 for longer than I thought it would.

My normal ride to work is about 5 miles but instead of making the left to the office, I kept going down Airport Road to 119 and headed to Boulder. I turned around at one of the cut throughs and headed back to Longmont taking a left on Hover and then to work.

I wanted to make sure I got to 70mph and rode for 30 minutes as that's my cutoff for recording a record temp. The previous one was 3 degrees riding the Harley from Broomfield to IBM in Boulder.

Carl

dang .....frking madman...

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

And people think I am crazy, that is nutz, now I got something to strive toward.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....