Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well? Is CDR dangerous?

Well? Is CDR dangerous?

Now that you guys actually raced there..
    03 zx6rr (soon to be race)
    MRA#533 novice

Re: Well? Is CDR dangerous?

Yes....mmmmm Yes.......mmmmmm YES.

The condition allthough terrible proved it was raceable. Im not a fan of the condition but the track layout is actually quite fun. Should repairs to the surface actually ever happen....It would be in contention for a favorite track (personally) Congrats to everyone that stayed upright this weekend. I hope to the folks that didnt that they are all ok and will mend quickly.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Were there a lot of get offs?
    Track fiend.

Not yet fast enough to race.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-R1";p="215285
    Were there a lot of get offs?
    no

there were more get offs at scr at the last race
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

The faster I go at that place the more I hate it. It's a friggen motocross track. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't push all the way into any turn. I was always holding 4 or 5 percent in reserve because I knew that there was a huge friggen bump comming up. There's not a smooth line aroud the whole track, and I think the last turn is the only one without a bump in the middle of it.

The tire barrier into T4 is way, way too close to the track. There's no run off at all. If you lose your brakes there you might as well just write off your bike. Mark Applegate went in there a little hot and actually went to the left and all the way around the tire barrier and corner worker stand before rejoining the race.

The track also doesn't even make for good racing. There are few places to pass, and the best place to pass, the dragon slide, is so bumpy that few racers took advantage of it.

I think there were less crashes there than SCR mainly because there were a lot less people, but there were probably more injuries this weekend.

Now we get to go to real racetracks again. Woo Hoo.
    MRA 36 & AMA 336

CDR is a race track. I don't see any real big differences between the dangers at that track as opposed to some of the dangers at our other tracks. There are some rough areas in the pavement, turn 4 really sucks! Oh wait correction....I suck in turn 4, that's it And even though I had a crappy day all the way up to AmGTO, I like the track and the technical challenges it presents. I would say get used to it cause I have a feeling we'll be back next year :P

It seems funny to me that the track is so bad,a motocross track,unraceable with no places to pass,that the track record was broken twice on sunday! As far as "now we are going to real race tracks?" which ones are those? Everyone complaining about how unsafe CDR is needs to look more closely at our other "real race tracks" There is just as many dangerous spots at each track!
    Its a fact that none of our tracks are as safe as they can be.Hopefully the new one will be.
    This weekend i didnt have any problems passing anywhere!

If you want to race,show up and race!
    If you think it is to dangerous take a ride down I-25 im sure that is much safer.
    Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller";p="215308
    There are some rough areas in the pavement, turn 4 really sucks! Oh wait correction....I suck in turn 4, that's it
    Yeah... I saw that one Glad you were ok & got to race again later in the day
    I don't race, but I was cornerworking @ the entrance to the dragon slide and seeing you guys fly into there made me scared for you. Right when you start to lean there was a big dip in the pavement, I was sure someone was going to go down there. But alas, no one, thank goodness. Had a couple incidents going into turn 8 though. Bob loves to ride in the dirt it seems
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

The track is not anymore unsafe in my eyes than SCR or any other track we race on. However it is sooooo bumpy that it makes it so difficult to make any sort of really safe pass there. I also wish the corners were smoother (ie turn 4) with it a very point and shoot track if you cant carry the corner speed because of the bumps it really puts a lot of importance on a strong bike to pull out of the turns.

The bigger problem is pit space. We did fit in this weekend because of some nice organization, but it is going to get tighter and tighter as the club continues to grow. I am interested in seeing how much was made on gate fee's this weekend, because I dont think there were nearly the spectators that there ususally is because of the lack of parking.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Oh yea, chadwick where you at the top of the dragon slide during the endurance race on sat?
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25";p="215316
    Hopefully the new one will be.
    This weekend i didnt have any problems passing anywhere!

If you want to race,show up and race!
    Mike

New track....I think Ill be to old to race by the time we have any new tracks...

There are places to pass. It presents a challenge to do so but can be done. Unless U got Mike V closing the door on you all race

As Mike said. If you want to race show up and race. If the race is there so am I.....
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

My $0.02:

The track is not as bad as I first imagined.
    Actual track lay-out is preaty cool
    BUT it is still the worst track I have ever been to.
    Surface is piss-poor
    Pavement is coming up going into 6
    there are about 10 different surfaces
    My hands are killing me from getting beat to crap for 3 days
    Common sense did not allow me to go more then 60% through the dragon slide (probably could find a second there)...must have been that wall at the end (Where Sims and Turpin Crashed ) .
    The rest of it I had no problem pushing, even in the bridge turn.
    run-off was non-existent in 1,2,3,6,8
    run-off was poor in 4, 7 (as spiderman found out)
    Track was very easy on tires
    Safe passing was very very hard. I remeber holding up Sim and race-winner lambert in practice for a couple laps before I missed a shift. Getting by some one with more power was a complete challange.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25";p="215316
    It seems funny to me that the track is so bad,a motocross track,unraceable with no places to pass,that the track record was broken twice on sunday!
    Well that might have something to do with the fact that the old track record was set in 2000...since when the technology has not improved at all. Not to mention I thought it was only broken by .4 Secs.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

True but in 2000 the surface at CDR was better then 2nd creek is now!
    And you dont think beating the track record by.4 of a second is good?
    How often do you improve your lap times by .4 of a second?
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    Well if turpin crashed...it's gotta be bad
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Turpin crashed at SCR last race.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25";p="215349
    mike
    I do everytime I go out ...

To me the track is not dangerous.. it is what it is so you ride at your comfort level.. its just not as much fun if you don't have as many places to pass... in my novice school race I passed like 16 bikes.. but thats with drastically varying skill levels.

Like ebazyl mentioned.. you see what you have to deal with at the dragon slide.. and you pull back enough to make sure you don't hit the wall. if there were run off there I am guessing the dragonslide would be just a lift (ok so the experts probably just lift now, but I brake)...

I do think that a person has to take time to learn all the surface imperfections even off line before going fast... otherwise it can be unsafe.

jap
    03 zx6rr (soon to be race)
    MRA#533 novice

Quote Originally Posted by cu360r6";p="215306
    The tire barrier into T4 is way, way too close to the track. There's no run off at all. If you lose your brakes there you might as well just write off your bike. Mark Applegate went in there a little hot and actually went to the left and all the way around the tire barrier and corner worker stand before rejoining the race.
    This is unpossible as Bueller can tell you. Mark came to an impressive stop before the tires, turned and then re-entered the track. I'd be hard pressed to do the maneuver you described on a motocross bike.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25";p="215349
    mike
    Not sure how the surface was in 2000, but I know that in 2005 it was much worse then second creck. As for .4 being a good improvement, in 5 years how much has the Second creek lap record dropped? Talking to Doug Vickery it was 1:32s and Pueblo in 2000, which is now done by Denning on his Supersport 600.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

This was my dads first MRA event(Thanks again Bon ).
    He had a little trouble trying to figure out why the MRA would race in the toilet bowl like that.
    He really enjoyed watching the rider get bou7nced out of thier seats going under the bridge

Plus the parking was wonderful
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil";p="215275
    Yes....mmmmm Yes.......mmmmmm YES.

The condition allthough terrible proved it was raceable. Im not a fan of the condition but the track layout is actually quite fun. Should repairs to the surface actually ever happen....It would be in contention for a favorite track (personally) Congrats to everyone that stayed upright this weekend. I hope to the folks that didnt that they are all ok and will mend quickly.

Nice job this weekend

I know I've never been on the track but I was fortunate (misfortunate) enough to corner work the race school... and it definately needs work... the whole race weekend I heared people saying it was a fun track JUST NEEDS WORK... I heared the turnout for this race was the worst yet??? True or untrue.. and I disagree that there is nowhere to pass, just because its more challenging doesnt mean it cant be done.. just ask Hoopty He passed quite a few bikes starting in the back of the second wave(s)...

Another issue... the size of the pits!! Holy shit that was a pain in the ass... and if they want a better turnout where are they gonna put everyone??? I know that alot of people didnt come to the race because of all the hassle of the shuttle too.. a half hour wait? Come on...

No, I don't think it's dangerous. The surface sucks, but that's about it.

It is bumpy, but there are smooth lines through most, if not all the turns (IMHO) that I was able to find during Saturday & Sunday morning practice. The worst part of the track, surface wise, I think, is the Dragon Slide. I'm not sure if it's just my perception - there's A LOT of patchwork there. Oh, and if you get the wrong line coming off the back straight, you hit a major bump and get kicked up off your seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwick";p="215320
    Bob loves to ride in the dirt it seems
    Quote Originally Posted by ebazyl";p="215347
    run-off was poor in 4, 7 (as spiderman found out)
    Target fixation is a bad thing, even for a fraction of a second! Coming down the back straight, I saw Kyle Isker go off towards the air fence. By the time I focused back on the upcoming corner, I realized I was coming in too hot. I turned it in as hard as I could, but realized I wasn't going to keep it on the track. I was almost completely turned when I hit the dirt, so I just rode down the dragon slide in the dirt, and popped back out onto the track when it curved left in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil";p="215343

There are places to pass. It presents a challenge to do so but can be done. Unless U got Mike V closing the door on you all race
    Yea Sorry about that Dion .. I just rhode my race. Horsepower beat you that race not me. :P Don't expect to see me ride like that @ La Junta .. and as far as people saying that our other tracks are just as unsafe are smokin some crack.. sure SCR and others have issues but its not every fricken corner with a shitty surface. If that place doesnt suck.. tell me why the grids were so small???

MV

The faster I go at that place the more I hate it. It's a friggen motocross track. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't push all the way into any turn. I was always holding 4 or 5 percent in reserve because I knew that there was a huge friggen bump comming up. There's not a smooth line aroud the whole track, and I think the last turn is the only one without a bump in the middle of it.
    Everyone else had to race the same track. Yes, it's bumpy in spots, but that's why we have adjustable suspension.

The tire barrier into T4 is way, way too close to the track. There's no run off at all. If you lose your brakes there you might as well just write off your bike.
    As opposed to the abundant run-off in the center section of SCR, particularly in the house turn? Ask Bart what happens when your brakes fail into the house turn going CCW. Ask Marty (or me) what happens when you miss a downshift while leading going CW into that turn.

The track also doesn't even make for good racing. There are few places to pass, and the best place to pass, the dragon slide, is so bumpy that few racers took advantage of it.
    The Dragon Slide is the best place to pass? A FAST, blind, slightly off-camber turn that leads into a steep descent is a good place to pass?

Because of my other duties I have raced very little over the last two seasons, CDR was my first race this season. I started dead last in HWSB and passed the likes of Applehans, Dennie Burke and Crash Lowe by using the heavy braking zones going into turns 4, 5 and 6, and by going around the outside of riders in T1. There is no shortage of passing zones.

I think there were less crashes there than SCR mainly because there were a lot less people, but there were probably more injuries this weekend.
    You're wrong. I will show you the write ups from the ambulance crews if you want proof.

Now we get to go to real racetracks again. Woo Hoo.
    are you planning on racing out of state??
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Most importantly huge thanks to Glen for taking care of all the pit arrangements it would have been a total mess with out you.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503