Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: What to look for when buying bike?

Smile What to look for when buying bike?

Is there a certain amount of miles I need to watch for? I am looking at getting an SV650 or SV650S. It will be my first bike, So I need all the tips n tricks to looking for things. I have had a couple of really cool people on here help so far! Just wanna make sure I don't buy a lemon!! Thanks again everyone!
    "You have to earn respect, it's not handed out"

Re: What to look for when buying bike?

Mileage is not as important as maintenance. And not all internet advise is sound.

Ok Thank you lots!

Look for a sticker that says Honda
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Why?

I LOL'd.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

He's making a crack. The SV650 is a Suzuki... he's saying buy a Honda instead.

The SVs have a lot of torque and some people like them. I would say start off with a Ninja 250, learn and sell it for what you bought it for. But nobody listens to that.

Consider the Yamaha FZ6 - it's powerband is a little more tame and (A LOT) more comfortable then the SV.

A real life example of one and the places you'll see.

Plenty of power and will give any of the supersports a run for their money, not to mention take you cross county. It's the best jack of all trades bike.

As for as mileage, yeah not really important. Best thing to do is take a friend that knows what to look for with you and don't buy from a stunter (or stunna)
    Last edited by Clovis; Sat Dec 17th, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

I am only 5'3" though.. dont wanna lower a bike because then in corners i heard it will wanna lean more.

Quote Originally Posted by MissBratt View Post
    I am only 5'3" though.. dont wanna lower a bike because then in corners i heard it will wanna lean more.
    Again, not all internet advice is sound. This is an example.

I'm not sure what you mean about lower = lean more. The FZ6 is actually slightly taller then supersports. Here's a pic that kind of shows it.

Left Ninja, right FZ6. Look at the handle bar and foot peg positions.

Probably one of the best things about the FZ6 is that you don't have to drag knee to turn. Your peg feelers will touch the ground way before your knee does.

Fwiw I believe no one can tell you what bike to buy. Go to a few dealerships and sit on bikes. See what YOU like and test drive a few. If your afraid of a 600rr don't ride one and if you ride a 500EX and it does not have enough power try a sv650. Just look until you find what YOU want. Then take someone who knows bikes and have them check it out. If your no comfortable on your bike you won't have as much fun with it.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Ok, I kind of see I think.. Sorry new to the bike world. So as in weight, what would be easier for a 5'3" 112lb woman to handle? I will for sure be doing long rides, Hopefully back to Idaho this summer! As in lean=want to tip over more. that is what Tri city cycles said when I was there trying out bikes on friday.

5'3" isn't as important as your inseam. If you're all legs you might fit fine on some bikes, then again there are taller people with short torsos who can't reach the bars comfortably. The only way to tell is to go test sit on a bunch.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Ninja 250, 500, 650R Or Sv650 I would say are all good starter bikes. Even at 5'3 on an sv I'm guessing you will have to either have the seat shaved or have it lowered.

I would take someone who knows about bikes to go look at them with you. As many have said a well taken care of bike can go along way, but a bike that has been abused (improper maintenance, stunting, badly crashed.....) will either not last as long or cost you much more to make right.

Thank you rfranks!!

Senior Member Moderator

I'm a fairly new rider, and my first bike is an SV650S. I think that even on an SV you will find it sits fairly high. I think you will be ok installing lowering links, but if you do that, you will need to ensure that the suspension is professionally calibrated to your weight. The front suspension is pretty soft though and there's not much that can be done, adjustment wise, to stiffen it up. If you decide to get an SV, you can get Racetech front fork kits to fix that.

My complaints so far have been that the seat, as Clovis pointed out, is pretty uncomfortable for long distances, but that can easily be fixed by replacing or having it re-upholstered.

The SV is a fun bike. It's lightweight, and easy to handle. I love mine and will probably be riding it for years to come.

As I was not an experienced rider, when I was looking at any bike to buy, I brought a friend that is an experienced rider. There can be very minute details that you might not notice and having a rider along to help you will be to your best advantage. I would also recommend checking out www.SVrider.com. I believe they have a buyer's guide to help with inspecting a bike.

Anyway, good luck shopping for your bike!

I went to Tri City and I sat on a ninja 250,500r and then a 6 something ninja didnt really feel at ease or comfortable the 500r wasn't that bad but still not what i would have thought. I will try fz6 and SV650 on monday to see. Seat shaving is safe right?

Quote Originally Posted by MissBratt View Post
    Thank you rfranks!!
    Np let me know if you want some help looking at a bike. I learned a lot about bad bikes from buying a bad katana for my first bike.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Senior Member Moderator

Shaving a seat is totally safe, some dealerships will actually pay to have it done to help you fit the bike.

Hey Drano thanks lots!!! It is nice to know I am not alone!! Well I am not worried about the seat padding I have my own lol. As far as lowering yeah I will look into that, I just want to avoid if possible. I need lightweight and easy to handle! Thanks again!

Rfranks- I will for sure!! I am in Fort collins though!

Senior Member Moderator

You're welcome. Glad I could be of some help.

If you buy from Tri-County just make sure it's not a salvage title.

As someone that routinely rides 500+ miles a day during the riding season, I'll say the FZ is tough the beat. Throw a sheep skin on that seat, go down by the fire and you can go all night long! Also, the fact that it has a service stand is very useful for lubing on the go.

I don't know if your paying cash or financing but either way make sure you have enough money left over to buy the proper gear (which is more then just a helmet and gloves). And nothing beats leathers in terms of protection (and looks).
    Last edited by Clovis; Sat Dec 17th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.

The height of the bike is secondary to how the bike feels. (There are people that can lower any bike to fit any body, several of us racers can set you up with that person.)

My advice is to sit on them all. You will feel the difference between brands and types. If you can test ride around a parking lot better. Before you buy bring someone that knows the bike you are interested in and tell them to be completely objective.

MRA Racer No.427