Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed out the chain and sprockets today...

Changed out the chain and sprockets today...

The rear sprocket was aluminum, and very worn. Replaced with a steel sprocket, and went from 46 to 43 teeth(I don't know what stock is).

The old front sprocket was also very worn, and the nut that held it on the shaft was missing! The new sprocket is supposed to be 1 tooth more than stock, but I didn't count the teeth to know what the actual change is.

New sprocket and chain on, but no nut!

I expect the bike should be giving me way better torque now around town, at speeds I actually drive. I sure don't need to do 140+ on this thing.
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Re: Changed out the chain and sprockets today...

If you wanted torque you went the wrong direction, you wanted to go up in the rear and/or smaller in the front.

We did...Stock gearing was 16-42, we went 15-43...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

How many miles on that sprocket and chain?

Quote Originally Posted by willb003 View Post
    How many miles on that sprocket and chain?
    Bike was purchased with 19k, now has 24k. This is what was on the bike when I got it.

1994 YZF750R

Jeez... Only worse one I've seen was a guy with a 954 that came in complaining that "my clutch is slipping".
    Guy had bought the bike 10K before with the seller warning him it needed a new chain and sprocket soon. His looked like yours, except that his had no sharp edges, it resembled a wave rotor more than a sprocket.
    And to think! With another 1K you too could have had a custom wave rotor!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

God the countershaft nut was missing? Do you ever give the bike a lookover to make sure things are ok? Guess not. Not to mention the lock washer that you bend around the nut should have kept it on.

Quote Originally Posted by highpsi03 View Post
    God the countershaft nut was missing? Do you ever give the bike a lookover to make sure things are ok? Guess not. Not to mention the lock washer that you bend around the nut should have kept it on.
    Yeah, cuz I always remove all the covers on the engine and trans just to see things.

And yes, the washer should have... If the last person in there bent it, which they didn't!

1994 YZF750R

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    We did...Stock gearing was 16-42, we went 15-43...
    From 14/46, yes? Should make it a bit easier to ride.

Any idea what caused the funky wear on the inside of the countershaft sprocket?
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    Yeah, cuz I always remove all the covers on the engine and trans just to see things.
    Not to be a dick, but every now and then its not a bad idea. You just found out why.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    Not to be a dick, but every now and then its not a bad idea. You just found out why.
    That might be true... but I had no reason to suspect there was a problem before. That, and this is my first chain driven bike, so having never done the chain and sprocket before, it wasn't something I was thinking of.

Of course, I'll know it's done properly this time, so I won't need to worry so much.

1994 YZF750R

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    From 14/46, yes? Should make it a bit easier to ride.

Any idea what caused the funky wear on the inside of the countershaft sprocket?
    I'm not sure, no. Both the front and rear sprocket has side wear(rear was on the inside). Maybe the rear wheel was tweaked a bit?

1994 YZF750R

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Jesus! That is the WORST set of worn sprockets I've EVER seen in about 30 years of riding. Missing the countershaft nut??? Count yourself lucky to be alive.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Hope you aren't riding it around with that nut off of there now. And you're going the wrong way if you're looking for more torque out of it.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Hope you aren't riding it around with that nut off of there now. And you're going the wrong way if you're looking for more torque out of it.
    +1

Going up one in the front and down 3 in the rear is going to make your gearing MUCH taller than it was.
    Casey D

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

And yes, the washer should have... If the last person in there bent it, which they didn't!
    The rear sprocket has no cover hiding the beyond worn unit.
    I guess you will fault someone else for that lack of care and attention as well no?
    You may blame others for your bikes condition all you want, but in the end it is you and yours responsiblity only.
    This kind of thread happens at least once a year, and it always happens.
    Next year will be no differance.
    My wife gets after me for washing my bike often and thoughly. My reasoning behind this is to keep my stuff looking good, but to also catch the kind of problems your bike had before they become a problem that will kill me or others. I consider myself a fairly competant person reguarding motorcycle maintenance. But I have seen things on my bike that needed immediate attention even with due dilagence. Shit happens, nuts come loose, parts fall off, it's all gonna happen sooner or later. Might as will cut the odds into my favor.
    Consider this a learning tool, nobodies perfect, put me at the top of the list.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I guess you will fault someone else for that lack of care and attention as well no?
    You may blame others for your bikes condition all you want, but in the end it is you and yours responsiblity only.
    +1
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    My wife gets after me for washing my bike often and thoughly. My reasoning behind this is to keep my stuff looking good, but to also catch the kind of problems your bike had before they become a problem that will kill me or others. I consider myself a fairly competant person reguarding motorcycle maintenance. But I have seen things on my bike that needed immediate attention even with due dilagence. Shit happens, nuts come loose, parts fall off, it's all gonna happen sooner or later. Might as will cut the odds into my favor.
    Consider this a learning tool, nobodies perfect, put me at the top of the list.
    Oh, I see. If I take the bike to a shop, and the engine falls out on the way home, it's my fault it fell out, because I didn't check everything they did? I expect people to bend tabs over when they should. The axle nuts on my cars never come loose. You know why? Because the tabs are bent over!

It's easy to say you should have checked this, or that, when you know all the maintenance a chain driven bike requires. But as I just said, this is my first chain bike. I knew the chain required lube, but without having prior knowledge, I had no idea what to look for in wear. Or that sprockets wear out.

I was just sharing my new found knowledge. If you don't like that people share this kind of a thing on an internet forum, well, you should find a new internet.

I do appreciate the info on gearing from everyone, but I didn't know what was on the bike. I had not been educated on the ins and outs of sprockets and chains. So I got what was recommended to me, by a knowledgeable person.

1994 YZF750R

Oh, I see. If I take the bike to a shop, and the engine falls out on the way home, it's my fault it fell out, because I didn't check everything they did? I expect people to bend tabs over when they should. The axle nuts on my cars never come loose. You know why? Because the tabs are bent over!

It's easy to say you should have checked this, or that, when you know all the maintenance a chain driven bike requires. But as I just said, this is my first chain bike. I knew the chain required lube, but without having prior knowledge, I had no idea what to look for in wear. Or that sprockets wear out.

I was just sharing my new found knowledge. If you don't like that people share this kind of a thing on an internet forum, well, you should find a new internet.

I do appreciate the info on gearing from everyone, but I didn't know what was on the bike. I had not been educated on the ins and outs of sprockets and chains. So I got what was recommended to me, by a knowledgeable person.
    We're just bustin' yer ballz a little. You've pwned a bicycle before, right? So, we figure you'd have at least a basic understanding of what a sprocket SHOULD look like. Sad to say, but if the previous owner was that big of an idiot, chances are, you'll be finding a LOT more stuff like that. Caveat emptor.

Best of luck, and, consider yourself lucky the chain didn't get thrown and kill you.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I'm surprised that the chain did not just slip off the rear sprocket any time you gave it gas.

Yeah,,, don’t sweat these guys that freak out on your lack of maintenance, it’s a learning experience. But I will say it is a good idea to attend a motorcycle maintenance seminar or something… I think someone in the club host one or two in the spring.
    You don’t want to end up having some kind of mechanical problem out on a group ride if you can avoid it. You don’t want to hold others up and they wont want it either (all tho it happens to everyone at some point).
    If your looking at doing some work on the bike or just have questions post em up (you will still get these kind of responses from the same peeps tho fair warning lol) and most of these guys will help or advise you.

And not everyone can afford to ride a brand new bike with free maintenance every season to two…or have a race crew or shop at their disposal. So keep yours up the best you can so it is a safe ride.

Oh, and, I hope you went with a steel front and at least a hard-anodized (not just color anodized) rear sprocket if you went with an al rear.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Steel front and rear. I didn't see a point in anything else on a street bike. And it did slip when I have it gas, that's why I stopped riding it. Didn't know what it was at first though. And I didn't put the pieces together, bicycle vs motorcycle sprocket. Clearly, I know better now though.

1994 YZF750R

Bashed is only pointing out that it is your bike, and only you are responsible for it's maintenance.
    You must also realize that putting it on the internet will invite responses you may not care for but if you re-read it you can't argue the points made. It is all part of the experiance.