Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: What to look for when buying bike?

Re: What to look for when buying bike?

lol... No offense ... I can't do a ninja... I sat on it and it was just not for me.. I tried though.. I just didn't like it. Yeah I went on that motorcyclesuperstore.com and found all new gear, I am going with black and white theme for sure!
    "You have to earn respect, it's not handed out"

Alpinestars (http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/) has a "Stella" line just for women and it's very good quality for the money.

Dainese also makes women's gear, and they're top-notch for quality, but also very pricey.

You can try the gear on locally and then just Google for the pieces you want to save some money (also check RevZilla, KneeDraggers, SportBikeTrackGear, or buy locally and support the local shops. Up to you.)

Back Protector--I've had Dainese in the past, but now I swear by Knox, they're CE certified and much more comfortable than the more rigid Dainese. The Knox Aegis 5/6 comes in a "ladies" version.

There are also "slip in" or "insert" back protectors that fit inside a special pocket in your jacket--if your jacket has one.

Personally, I prefer the separate piece as they're usually more protective, but they are less comfortable. Either way, something is better than nothing--it is your spine afterall.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Ok, So it sounds like I will be spending a a good 700.00 on a helmet,gloves,back thingy,riding pants,big bottle of advil,boots? I hate spending money but this is EXCITING! Also one more thing. I did my budget and dont wanna go over 2500.00 on bike is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MissBratt View Post
    Ok, So it sounds like I will be spending a a good 700.00 on a helmet,gloves,back thingy,riding pants,big bottle of advil,boots? I hate spending money but this is EXCITING! Also one more thing. I did my budget and dont wanna go over 2500.00 on bike is this possible?
    Just like skiing/boarding or any other sport, getting into it is the hardest and most expensive part, once you've got your gear it's much cheaper--unless you're the type to buy new every year.

$2500 can get you a decent, but older bike.

A 1st-Gen SV650 is in that price range, slightly more for the SV650S

3 SV650 non-s:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/2696418468.html
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2717381997.html
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2719075265.html

You could always swap the upper fairing/light assembly and what-not later if you really prefer the SV650S look. But, even naked it's a great bike.
    Last edited by Ghost; Sun Dec 18th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I love that one from Morrison!!! The black one is ok but has a sticker on it of fox.. wow I really like the look of that blue one. TYTYTYTYTYTY!

I love that one from Morrison!!! The black one is ok but has a sticker on it of fox.. wow I really like the look of that blue one. TYTYTYTYTYTY!

Np.

The one in Morrison's supposedly already lowered, so it might be a better fit too.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I emailed her about it so we will see! You are extremely helpful, I just can't thank you enough!

I emailed her about it so we will see! You are extremely helpful, I just can't thank you enough!
    Cool, good luck and be safe & have fun riding!!

Btw, IF you want, you can get the VIN and run a "CycleChex" on it, basically a CarFax for bikes.

I'm never convinced they're 100% accurate, as I know of vehicles that were damaged and had claims against them yet never showed up on the checks.

Still, if it catches a salvage or rebuilt title, or shows it was severely damaged it might be worth the $25 or whatever it is. Again, your call.

https://www.cyclechex.com/
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

+1 for everything Ghost said.

I saw your ad on craigslist. For FZ6s I prefer 2006 as they got a significant fuel injection and mapping upgrade but around $3500-4000 is the going rate for a 06 or 07/08 (virtually identical).

If you're not already aware, try the statewide craigslist search:

http://www.statewidelist.com/Index.cfm

Buying the right gear is a pretty big investment. I would suggest look at used equipment but since female riders are the minority it's probably not going to be as available as men's gear. If you buy new you can expect to spend $1500-1700 easily.

You can always piece it together, hardly anyone buys a full set right away. The order of importance in my opinion is:

Helmet (You can tell the difference between a cheaper $150 helmet and a Shoei or Arai helmet. Shoei's run $350-450 typically and are very comfortable on long rides. Arai's are $500 and above are not everyone likes the way they fit. My favorite feature of a Shoei is the reduced rider fatique. After a few hours with an Icon the wind buffeting wears you out. It doesn't happen with the Shoei.

Jacket. Decide which brand you like because when you get pants you'll want a jacket that zips into the pants
    Gloves. Gauntlet style is the best to protect your wrist.
    Boots. The higher on the leg the better -- Sidi and A*stars are both excellent boots. Footsies break easily and take forever to heal.
    Pants. I like the Alpinestar's large beefy shin and knee protectors built in. Beefy protection can save you from a broken knee cap.

Despite what you would think, with all the vents, you'll stay cool in leather. Even black, on hot summer days.
    Last edited by Clovis; Sun Dec 18th, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Awesome thanks!

You're welcome, good luck!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

In A Land Far Far Far Away Lifetime Supporter

I owned a 1988 Ninja 600R as my first bike, then went I over the board and then bought a 500R a few years ago i liked it.... a lot, and after getting my R1 missed it even it has spunk but no power horse, I personally don't like the Ninja 250 power rode a few of the older carbed ones and the newr ones not impressed with either, but only reason i say this is you buy it you will out grow it and going to Idaho on this bike would suck on many of them long mountain climbs, but then the toss up of not telling you to get a bike that may be too much for you. Just make sure you dont get too much bike for you as a noob take the rider course and if you have, take it again, they call that one the advanced rider course I think here. Just dont get in over your head and be responsible and you will be fine. In the end you got to like what ever you get.
    Αφροδίτη

https://www.facebook.com/dcbk.stanley

The one in the back still catching up....

If it is the 3rd one that Ghost listed, and it is in Morrison, $2800 seems a bit too high. $2800 seems to be the average retail for a 2004. Like many said, it depends on the condition of the bike and the maintenance that his been performed, but there is a good chance you can negotiate pricing some more.

http://www.nadaguides.com/?gclid=CLH...FQR5hwodQRUiag

Not sure why Nada has the SV650 listed under cruiser and not street... .

I agree with Drano. I've got a 01SV650S and i love it. Pretty good commuter for 50+ MPG and not too bad on 100+ trips but i'd say definately sit and feel everybike you can before ya settle down on one. I like my SV and i've had it just over 3 years but am probably gonna sell it next year to get something bigger like an R1 or CBR1000RR maybe. Still undecided on that. Your welcome to come check it out if you'd like or i could send ya pics and stuff. I'd definately say it is a lil high though for a mini-rider like yourself though...LOL....i'm 5'7'' and i'm on my tiptoes when i drive it. Definately more comfortable when you can stand flat footed or close to it when stopped.

Ninja thank you! Yeah I wouldn't pay 2800.00 after reading NADA. Brandi-Thank you for your advice I appreciate it. Yeah I wanted a 500r forever but then sitting on it felt weird. Maybe I need to go sit on another one but I dont know. Yeah for sure a 250 is out. The last thing I need is something to big for me, Would hate myself after that!

Scatter- Thank you for the "mini rider" lol I know it sucks! Yeah that would be great to see if its what I would want! Whatever I do,I have one chance to get the right bike. I have been saving up for this and wanting this for years and years. I have also worked my butt off convincing my bf that I am good enough to get a bike SO that being said this has be perfect the first time! I think that's why I am freaking out so much over this,trying to get every piece of info and advice possible! Sounds dumb but I even started working out to make sure I am fit and strong enough LOL, Yes I may be going overboard but I'd rather be prepared than sorry and regretful Everyone has been and is being such good help, All of you are amazing people thank you so so much!

Well miss Bratt yeah I agree about it feeling weird (500R) though who have seen my old 500r when I got done with it.... lets just say it sat awesome, and handled awesome it wasn't standard issue no more. lolz

Good luck in you endeavors though.
    Αφροδίτη

Brandi,
    UI am glad I am not the only who thought it felt weird.. lol. Do you have pics of the old one? I'd love to see! Thanks :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    for paying cash for the bike! And another +1 for already having most of your gear. There's a few of us here that are into long distance riding and touring.

JKOL always calls my bike a girl's bike anyways
    You're still faster than me, so what the hell do I know.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Brandi,
    UI am glad I am not the only who thought it felt weird.. lol. Do you have pics of the old one? I'd love to see! Thanks :-)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=da816b7026

You'll know the 500r when you see it.

The risers were removed and clip-ons below the triple put into their place, the stock gauges were removed and a computer added, SV650 shock mod and Raising Dog bones, seat was modified with gel and a cowl put on it and riders didn't happen after this, it was a nice and rode better IMO, and even better after I added the damper to it actually rode more like my R1 did minus the insane horsepower I absolutely loved about the R1.
    Last edited by Aphrodite; Sun Dec 18th, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    Αφροδίτη

Αφροδίτη

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Ok, I have to disagree here. I had an SV650S for my first bike and if I had it to do all over again I would go with a gsxr or a ninja (I understand it didn't feel right and that's ok). The SVs are nose heavy and hard for a short person like myself to pull around in the canyons. They are very forgiving which is a plus, but the difference between my SV and my Z is so night and day that I wish I had the 2 years that I rode the SV back. They are perfect for a taller person but not so great for us short people. Look at a GSXR or try a different year Ninja. If you want to sit on an SV,you're more than welcome to sit on mine.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

That is a pretty bike!!! I like it! I do not like however the 2009 Ninja 500R the seat is combined with the back seat thing? I don't like the way that is at all. Sat on it again today and felt ok like height and the way it stood but I think it's the seat I don't like, Could I put a different seat on it? Or is that one stuck on there? I think it would be ok if there was a break in it or something? Or am I just crazy? Anyways Have a good one

That is a pretty bike!!! I like it! I do not like however the 2009 Ninja 500R the seat is combined with the back seat thing? I don't like the way that is at all. Sat on it again today and felt ok like height and the way it stood but I think it's the seat I don't like, Could I put a different seat on it? Or is that one stuck on there? I think it would be ok if there was a break in it or something? Or am I just crazy? Anyways Have a good one
    The Ninja has the old-school "banana seat" that disappeared from most bikes around 2000, but since the 500R traces back to 1994, it's a hold-over.

There's no alternate seat for it that I'm aware of...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson