Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of the Road for Ford Ranger

Thumbs down End of the Road for Ford Ranger

Oh well, there's still the Taco.

OR, if you live outside of the USA you can still buy the Ranger.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1151756.html

DETROIT — It's the end of the road for the Ranger in the U.S.
    Ford is ending production of the smallest pickup it makes, a truck that helped the company battle more fuel-efficient Japanese imports when it was launched in 1982. The last American-made Ranger rolls off the assembly line in Minnesota Friday.

After peaking in the mid-1990s, sales of the Ranger have fallen over the last decade, hurt by neglect as Ford focused on more profitable large pickups. The Ranger's styling grew stale, it lost its fuel economy edge and the price wasn't much lower than beefier siblings like the F-150.
    Other companies aren't so sure it's time to ditch small pickups. Toyota Motor Corp., General Motors Co. and Nissan Motor Co. all plan to continuing selling small pickups in the U.S., citing high gas prices and loyal buyers.

Still, sales of small pickups topped out at 1.2 million, or 8 percent of all vehicles sold in the U.S., in 1994, according to LMC Automotive, a consulting group. About a quarter of those were Rangers, which appealed to guys for their manly styling and zippy ride. But sales have been sliding ever since. LMC expects small pickup sales to total 297,000 this year, or 2 percent of the market.

Vehicles need styling updates to help keep up sales. But Jim Oaks, a retired state trooper from Salem, Ohio, who runs a website for Ranger enthusiasts, says current models have almost exactly the same interior as one he bought in 1996.

Pricing has also been a problem. The Ranger started out as a cheaper alternative to bigger pickups, but as Ford added features, like upgraded transmissions or satellite radio, prices crept up. A top-of-the-line, two-door Ranger with a V6 engine starts at $22,340, or just $600 less than a base model F-150. Automakers' incentives, including zero-percent financing and other deals, erased that price premium altogether, making bigger trucks more appealing.

Small pickups have lost their fuel economy edge as automakers improve the efficiency of engines in bigger trucks. The Ranger, which offers a four-cylinder engine, can get up to 27 miles per gallon on the highway. But an F-150 with a more powerful V6 can get 23.

Gas costs didn't matter much to buyers in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when pump prices were cheaper. But when gas spiked and the recession took hold in 2008, drivers who didn't need pickups to haul things stopped buying altogether. Demand for both large and small pickups suffered, with sales of small models dropping by nearly half between 2007 and 2009.
    "You really have to start questioning whether to commit the tremendous capital and resources," says Ford U.S. sales analyst Erich Merkle. He says the company expects many Ranger customers to shift to F-150s, which are nearly 4 feet longer and sit 10 inches higher than the Ranger.

The end of Ranger production means the closure of the St. Paul, Minn., plant where it's made. The plant has produced more than 6 million cars and trucks since 1925, when it was opened by company founder Henry Ford. Many of the plant's 800 workers will be able to transfer to other facilities, the company says.

Ford will continue to sell a new version of the Ranger outside the U.S. Those trucks will be built in Thailand, South Africa and South America.
    Ford isn't the only company taking a hard look at small pickups. Fred Diaz, the head of Chrysler Group's Ram truck brand, says the company is still deciding whether it will continue to sell the small Dakota in the U.S.
    But most of Ford's rivals say they remain committed to the market. Some drivers still want the features of a pickup even if they don't need big ones like the Chevy Silverado.

"We still believe there is significant opportunity ... in the U.S. market, for those customers who don't need all of the capability of a Silverado but the functionality of a pickup truck," says GM spokesman Otie McKinley.
    Oaks, 44, thinks Ford will eventually reverse its decision, especially if gas prices remain high. Rangers have a lot of fans because they're dependable and easy to modify for off-roading, he says. Oaks and his wife own models from 1983, 1989 and 1996.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: End of the Road for Ford Ranger

A changing market will always need a changing vehicle unfortunately. As much as I hate ford and gmc but the ranger is one great battle truck for daily work loads
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Mmmm, my family has one of these like 20 plus years old. Cant go above 50 mph and randomly shuts off at speed killing power steering and brakes Besides that its a pretty awesome little truck for the $800 we spent on it 5 years ago.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    A changing market will always need a changing vehicle unfortunately. As much as I hate ford and gmc but the ranger is one great battle truck for daily work loads

Times changed, but like the overly long run of the Fox body Mustang, the Ranger was left to linger and die on an outdated chassis with only minor styling changes to hide the lack of substantial changes.

Still, for what they are/were, I'm sure they'll be missed.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I have full intent in buying a '99 stepside at some point in time in Midnight Blue. <3 first ranger
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

They're citing the exact same reasons as Dodge when they killed off the Dakota for 2012. Besides the Dak had grown into almost the same capabilities as the Ram 1500, and was more expensive than some of the Rams.

I had a 98 Ranger for about 10 years. I basically couldn't kill it. Even though I hated it for the last couple years I drove it and couldn't wait to trade it in for my Tacoma, (which I love more than any truck I've ever been in?) it was great little truck.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    They're citing the exact same reasons as Dodge when they killed off the Dakota for 2012. Besides the Dak had grown into almost the same capabilities as the Ram 1500, and was more expensive than some of the Rams.
    IMO, Dodge killed the Dakota when they redid the body style in 05. It went from a very capable mid sized truck to a bloated sub full sized with crap transmissions and no clearance.

If there was one vehicle that I wish I could have back, it would be my 00 Dakota. I loved that truck.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    IMO, Dodge killed the Dakota when they redid the body style in 05. It went from a very capable mid sized truck to a bloated sub full sized with crap transmissions and no clearance.

If there was one vehicle that I wish I could have back, it would be my 00 Dakota. I loved that truck.
    I agree. The 99-04 Dakota's were the tits. Especially with the V8's. I miss mine but I love my new car.

The upside to such a long production run is that the Rangers are pretty hard to kill. I used to see them going places off road that would be off limits to a full size truck.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

My cousin had a bare bones Ranger 2WD with Manual for High school/College he bought new with HIS money on the A-Plan. I think he paid like $8K new off the lot...LOL I think that was back in 1992. My cousin kept it till it was totaled in a wreck after 200K miles. If I recall he got like 28mpg back then. Like I said it was bare-bones, roll up windows, I'm not even sure it had A/C.

Anyways its a shame, Ford did not keep it updated nor did they keep it priced right.

Yep that is so true, I remember looking at the Dakota and thinking why would I buy this when you can get a real Full size truck (Ram, F150) for not much more.

So while we (CAN/US) lament its passing, the rest of the world gets this:

Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

good..those trucks are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    So while we (CAN/US) lament its passing, the rest of the world gets this:

Explorer SportTrac?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

at first glance i thought of honda timberline. dependable but, butt uglee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Explorer SportTrac?
    2012 Ranger
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    at first glance i thought of honda timberline. dependable but, butt uglee.
    Ridgeline. Not only ugly, but I'm 6'2 and can barely reach the bottom of the bed because the sides are so poorly designed.

besides the aesthetics ......i guess it is dependable...

Ridgeline. Not only ugly, but I'm 6'2 and can barely reach the bottom of the bed because the sides are so poorly designed.

It's also primarily FWD, only has a v6, doesn't tow amazingly well, and can't really get a bike in the back with the midgate up.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Tacoma's are great but $30k for a small size truck, no can do.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It's also primarily FWD, only has a v6, doesn't tow amazingly well, and can't really get a bike in the back with the midgate up.
    Why not get the Chevy Avalanche??? Can tow, has 4wd, pretty rugged and doe snot look butt ass ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Why not get the Chevy Avalanche??? Can tow, has 4wd, pretty rugged and doe snot look butt ass ugly.

To be honest, I'd never get either, I'd just get a "real" truck. Get a crew/quad cab and a full bed. I've never really seen the point to the Avalanche/Ridgeline/Baja type of "truck".
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Or one of these