Thread: 300lbs and 100+hp = Is it possible?

300lbs and 100+hp = Is it possible?

I'm not a mechanic. I can do the basic removal of most of the parts, either properly or breaking them off, and can do the basic maintenance.

Is it possible to take a bike and make it weigh less than 300 pounds and have more than 100 hp?

My honda 450 sumo was a fucking blast because it was sooo damn light but I hated taking it far because if didn't have the power. My Daytona is a blast but it is also heavier and might be funner if it lost some, or a lot of weight. I can maybe lose 10lbs off my ass at the most but don't like to be akwardly skinny.

So what are your thoughts on the subject? Would it be easier to take a Ninja 250, strip it, and get bigger displacment? Maybe take my Daytona and strip it down so it can be ridable? Pocket bike with Ducati vtwin?
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Re: 300lbs and 100+hp = Is it possible?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ncr-m4-one-shot/

This is kinda what I'm talking about...without the $70000 price tag.
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

I think for sub 300, you won't get above 70 horses

I tried to find something light enough for dirt, but powerful enough for a canyon carver. The problem for me is that if it's light enough for dirt, it's light enough to get blown around on the highway when I'm riding to work or out towards the canyons. I would have been happy to settle on a husky 510 SMR (they also make a 6 something from a few years ago), or an sxv 550. But the problem with those is that I can't put the miles on them like I can my other street bikes. My end result was just get a canyon carver and worry about sumo later

Looks like you've already figured out, naked bikes are as close as you're gonna find

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post
    I'm not a mechanic. I can do the basic removal of most of the parts, either properly or breaking them off, and can do the basic maintenance.

Is it possible to take a bike and make it weigh less than 300 pounds and have more than 100 hp?

My honda 450 sumo was a fucking blast because it was sooo damn light but I hated taking it far because if didn't have the power. My Daytona is a blast but it is also heavier and might be funner if it lost some, or a lot of weight. I can maybe lose 10lbs off my ass at the most but don't like to be akwardly skinny.

So what are your thoughts on the subject? Would it be easier to take a Ninja 250, strip it, and get bigger displacment? Maybe take my Daytona and strip it down so it can be ridable? Pocket bike with Ducati vtwin?
    Sure you can, it wouldn't be too difficult. How much money do you want to spend? Speed costs, how fast can you afford to go?
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Sure you can, it wouldn't be too difficult. How much money do you want to spend? Speed costs, how fast can you afford to go?
    I think motogp bikes are restricted to be 325lbs minimum, and they put out 250hp. But I don't have a few million just sitting around

anyone know what an AMA middleweight or superbike have for a HP/weight ratio?

how much does one of the lightest new 600s weigh? 450ish stock? take one, remove the signals, mirrors, rear sets, bar ends, emissions crap, race plastics so removing the headlight, aftermarket titanium exhaust, carbon fiber wheels, lighter tires (yes, there is a difference in weight between brands). That alone would put you well under 400lbs with over 100hp.

Less then 300lbs? Not sure if it's possible with something 600cc or bigger. But why do you need to? You can get the same power to weight ratio of 300lbs/100hp by just doing the described mods above, with a 750 or 1000cc bike.

If you wanted to get real crazy, there's stuff like drilling holes in your subframe, single brake/rotor, drilling holes in your rear rotor, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I think motogp bikes are restricted to be 325lbs minimum, and they put out 250hp. But I don't have a few million just sitting around

anyone know what an AMA middleweight or superbike have for a HP/weight ratio?
    Superbike - 370lb minimum
    Daytona SportBike and Supersport - 4cylinders 355lb minimum
    3cylinders 360lb minimum
    2cylinders 380lb minimum

Superbikes are putting out 180-190hp, Daytona Sportbikes 120-130, and Supersport 110-120.

MotoGP bikes also depend on engine configuration. Its anywhere from 300lbs for a 2cylinder to 330lb for a 4cylinder
    Last edited by UglyDogRacing; Thu Jan 26th, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I always loved the idea.

My favorite ever was the Fast Bikes Suzuki GSXR 600 P3. 330 lbs wet with 120 bhp.

http://www.p3unlimited.com/www/media/Article-2.pdf

Some pics I saved of it.

It actually set the lap record for a 600 cc bike at nurburgring.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

http://bouldermotorsports.com/showroom/F042

These bikes were over 100 HP and under 300 lbs....

I'm guessing my Triumph Daytona comes in at around 407 wet:
    Wet Weight: 407 lbs (most websites)
    With me in full gear on the bike at bandimere I weighed 600. I'm about 180 and 20 more in gear I guess.

So now were talking about 600lbs of weight being thrown around.

In all realness how much weight do you think you would save if....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    remove the signals, mirrors, rear sets, bar ends, emissions crap, race plastics so removing the headlight, aftermarket titanium exhaust, carbon fiber wheels, lighter tires. If you wanted to get real crazy, there's stuff like drilling holes in your subframe, single brake/rotor, drilling holes in your rear rotor, etc. etc.
    This thread is completely for fun purposes only. I have no real intentions on droping tens of thousands of dollars, but I am really curious on the posibilies and the pros and cons. I know that my exhaust weights almost 25lbs and I only lost 10 or so putting an Arrow Slipon on. If I just went to a straight pipe that could cut a decent amount of weight.
    Last edited by Frankie675; Thu Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

O yea, this makes me think of the Yamaha R7. Was supposed to weigh less than an R6 and put more power than an R1. back around 2000 though

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    http://bouldermotorsports.com/showroom/F042

These bikes were over 100 HP and under 300 lbs....
    no wonder Turpin killed it this year

I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before, but, if you don't have any rules you need to follow, find something under 300lbs, and turbo it. Done. Simple.

Or, if you're more engineering minded, I remember a guy taking something like an 800cc-ish 2-stroke snowmobile engine, making a gearbox for it, and putting it in a lightweght frame. That monster was over 100hp and less than 300lbs, by good margins if I remember. Done.

Edit: I just checked, and it seems a stock KX500 puts out about 65HP. Take 2 of those barrels, make a parallel twin out of them with a new crankcase and crank, use a gearset from a 600 for the transmission, build 2 exhaust pipes, modify a lightweight chassis to fit the motor into, and you're done. Even without engine work, it's 120-130hp (probably 140-150 with), and could probably be easily under 300lbs. MotoGP bikes COULD be a lot lighter excet for the rules. Hell, an F1 car weighs what, 1,100 lbs with over 800hp????
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Thu Jan 26th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

O yea, this makes me think of the Yamaha R7. Was supposed to weigh less than an R6 and put more power than an R1. back around 2000 though
    Back in '99 the R7 was about 10lbs less than the R6. It did not put out more hp than the R1. There was another thread about year ago we were talking about the R7's power. Stock it was less than 110 and with a YEC kit ecu it would be over 130. The factory race bikes that Gobert and Haga raced at the time were in the 160's. Graves ran the R1/R7 hybrid in the old Formula Extreme class back then because they got more power and torque out of the R1 motor.

no wonder Turpin killed it this year
    Turpin didn't ride that bike (Pierobon F042) this past season. He was on a Ducati 1098F08. He raced the Pierobon 2 years ago when he was recovering from his leg injuries.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Or, if you're more engineering minded, I remember a guy taking something like an 800cc-ish 2-stroke snowmobile engine, making a gearbox for it, and putting it in a lightweght frame. That monster was over 100hp and less than 300lbs, by good margins if I remember. Done.
    Tularis

Just ride this.

Quote Originally Posted by MattTLS View Post
    Tularis
    Yep, that's it! EXACTLY why I want to one day build something like it, but as mentioned with the 1000cc twin KX500 motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQoY7ECyoN8

http://www.bikerzbay.com/index.php/n...-8700rpm-.html

It's Engineered extremely well too. Great job!

Like I said, the parallel twin might just be the best M/C enging for packaging reasons.

Or, if that ain't crazy enough for ya:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceeyr...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Thu Jan 26th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian