Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ndaa

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: ndaa

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    So, how does everyone feel about Ron Paul? I support him and judging by the sentiments being given in these posts I'd think he would be someone whose ideals would be attractive to you. He has been speaking out continuously against NDAA, Patriot Act, SOPA, basically any thing passed into law that infringes on our freedoms.
    I like him. I think the GOP should consider for a moment that it's not just about getting the most votes in the caucuses, but the fact that Romney will get republican votes in an election whereas RP will likely capture a lot of democratic and independent votes as well. IMO they should go for #2 in their own party to take over the other guys.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    Dude, from the moment it was ratified, the Constitution of the United States has been slowly degraded until now, it is only an heirloom in the attic. No longer having any practical use, it is dusted off, and brought out once in awhile to show us "how simple things were in the day."

All governments exist solely to perpetuate themselves. They care not a whit about anything else. US is no different. This Re pube licken in origin Patriot Act is Orwellian in its moniker, and even more so with its wording. This extension of the Patriot Act is absolutely bold and and unabashed legislative repeal of the 4th Amendment. Trials on evidence obtained by torture, an abolition of the 5th and 6th Amendments.

Meh.

Don't speak up! Or next YOU are an enemy combattant.

Oh well, if designated an enemy combattant, and taken to Guantanamo, I wonder what others will say? I think of those two Americans in Yemen ("terrorists") who didn't get a trial, they got a rocket up the ass. Those who favor Mr. Obama's actions in ordering the rocket attack say, the evidence was overwhelming. I don't know, a jury might find differently. A jury found OJ Simpson "not guilty."

This whole "terrorism" designation is something that I pay close attention to. After all, it is a terrorist who attacks the United States' interests with a bomb, but when the United States attacks people in other countries with bombs, I guess that's different?
    So, why didn't ObaMao repeal this then?
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    So, why didn't ObaMao repeal this then?
    Because then the republicans would trounce him for appearing weak on terrorism.

Remind me though, who signed the Patriot Act into law?

The reason they both signed documents to strip Americans of their rights--No president in the era of "The War On TERROR" will veto a bill with the word "terrorist" in it...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Because then the republicans would trounce him for appearing weak on terrorism.

Remind me though, who signed the Patriot Act into law?

The reason they both signed documents to strip Americans of their rights--No president in the era of "The War On TERROR" will veto a bill with the word "terrorist" in it...
    yeah wasnt one of obamas promises had something to do with eliminating the patroit act? im going to go look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    yeah wasnt one of obamas promises had something to do with eliminating the patroit act? im going to go look for it.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Mass CSC exodus?
    I've already hit the age cutoff for my skillset. :/ They have a rule; you have to be the best qualified for the position including all Aussie citizens, and you can't be too old to get your work visa. It's much more stringent than here.

I spent 6 months there when I was in my early 20's. The place is awesome!
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I've already hit the age cutoff for my skillset. :/ They have a rule; you have to be the best qualified for the position including all Aussie citizens, and you can't be too old to get your work visa. It's much more stringent than here.

I spent 6 months there when I was in my early 20's. The place is awesome!
    New Zealand then?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Gold Member

fuck that. third world. i get more for my money anyways. and because the people there cant spell i wont have to hear how bad my spelling is. lol

Gold Member

http://www.humblelibertarian.com/201...a-is-just.html

i dont agree with some of the wording in there but its kind of a funny read. bush and obama are put side by side.

So, Obama supports NDAA, and Rendition and the Patriot Act, but he finally weighs in and takes the side of people filming with their cell phones--which is good, thanks.

What about the others on the list?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ecordings.ars?
    Obama administration says Constitution protects cell phone recordings

By Timothy B. Lee | Published about 12 hours ago

The Obama administration has told a federal judge that Baltimore police officers violated the First, Fourth, and Fourteenth Amendments by seizing a man's cell phone and deleting its contents. The deletions were allegedly in retaliation for the man's use of the phone to record the officers' arrest of his friend. According to the Maryland ACLU, this is the first time the Obama Justice Department has weighed in on whether the Constitution protects citizens' right to record the actions of police with their cell phones.
    Christopher Sharp was attending the Preakness horse race in May 2010 with friends. Sharp, who alleges that the police beat his friend before arresting her, pulled out his cell phone to document the encounter. According to Sharp, several officers approached him and repeatedly demanded that he surrender his cell phone so they could make a copy of the video to use as evidence.
    Sharp initially refused, but fearing arrest he eventually handed the phone over. One of the officers then took the phone out of the clubhouse. When the officer returned with it several minutes later, the video of the arrest had been deleted. Also gone were at least 20 other personal videos, including some involving his son, that had "great sentimental value" to Sharp.

A pattern of misconduct?
    Sharp filed a federal lawsuit in October, charging that the police had violated his First, Fourth, and Fourteenth Amendment rights. He argued that the deletion of his videos was part of a broader pattern of Baltimore police officers violating citizens' right to record the actions of police. He listed six separate incidents since 2008 in which Baltimore police threatened or arrested private citizens for recording their actions.
    In one particularly shocking 2008 incident relayed in Sharp's complaint (but not directly involving Sharp), "police officers seized cell phones from individuals in the crowd and, as one officer recalled during a deposition related to the incident, began throwing the phones to the ground. As articulated by the deposed officer, officers were seizing phones because members of the crowd were recording the incident for later posting on YouTube and similar sites."
    Sharp argued that this "pattern and practice" of misconduct made court intervention essential. He asked the court to declare that cell phone recordings are protected by the Constitution and to award Sharp money damages.
    The city has acknowledged that citizens have the right to record the actions of police officers. In August, it provided some of its officers with formal training on citizens' rights to record the actions of the police, and it sent an e-mail to the entire police force on the subject. The city has argued these steps will prevent future violations of Sharp's rights, and that this renders Sharp's lawsuit moot. The city has asked that it be dismissed.
    But the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice isn't impressed. "Although defendants have taken some remedial actions, these measures do not adequately ensure that violation will not recur," the Obama Administration said in a Tuesday court filing. While the city's new training materials acknowledge that it's legal to record the actions of the police, they "do not explicitly acknowledge that private citizens' right to record the police derives from the First Amendment, nor do they provide clear and effective guidance to officers about the important First Amendment principle involved."

An emerging consensus
    The Maryland ACLU told the Baltimore Sun that this is the first time the Obama Administration has weighed in on the issue. The decision to come down on Sharp's side of the argument is particularly significant because the executive branch is ordinarily quick to defend the prerogatives of law enforcement. Although this specific incident involved city police officers, the same reasoning would presumably protect the right of citizens to record and disseminate videos on the conduct of officials in the FBI, DEA, and other federal law enforcement agencies.
    The filing is the latest sign of an emerging consensus that the First Amendment protects the right to record the public conduct of government officials with a cell phone. Last week, the Boston PD was forced to admit its officers acted improperly when they arrested a man for recording an arrest, after the First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against the city. And while Judge Richard Posner worried that a right to record the police will lead to excessive "snooping around," his fellow judges on the Seventh Circuit seemed sympathetic to the ACLU's argument that Illinois's strict wiretapping statute violates citizens First Amendment rights.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

New Zealand then?
    Nice roads, hot women, big mountain skiing, free from all the killer animals and bugs Oz has... WIN!

Nice roads, hot women, big mountain skiing, free from all the killer animals and bugs Oz has... WIN!

Any easier to get into? I'm down, let's load the CSC Ark and head over...

((We'll forget the minor earthquake))
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Any easier to get into? I'm down, let's load the CSC Ark and head over...

((We'll forget the minor earthquake))
    Let's wait for Snowman's trip report. I think he's a got a rental bike lined up and is planning a couple weeks at least.

Let's wait for Snowman's trip report. I think he's a got a rental bike lined up and is planning a couple weeks at least.
    Or, we could go surprise him, do some recon on our own, secure the beach heads, etc...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Gold Member

Lol are you saying we should really invade?