Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HID's

HID's

I've been bored outside of work lately (crappy snow in the mountains and crappy weather down here) and have recently got the urge to do something to my bike. I've considered installing a HID kit. It might be fun to tinker around with the bike while it’s hibernating. Anyone done this and regretted it later because of reliability or any other reason. I honestly don't do too much night riding as it is, but when I do it would be nice to have some extra light coming out. At the same time I don't want to sacrifice OEM equipment only to have a ballast fail or my lights not work when I really need them.

I've considered a DDM Tuning kit that is reasonably inexpensive or a more expensive (made for R1) kit from A&R Motorsports.

Thoughts, opinions or should everyone go back to cop talk and politics?

Re: HID's

I just got a xentec kit from ebay, had one on my gixxer and no reliability issues at all, also they help light the road so much better mainly projector style headlights, I got a 6k for the R1.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I've noticed those as well on eBay. Pretty good price too.

Yea I paid $35 shipped with a two year warranty from ebay seller orangemika. Dude answered all my questions and shipping was quick. The kit is really small too
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Jackal installed dual HID (low beam) on my FZ so I no longer have a high beam but I can run with both head lights without blinding oncoming traffic. Overall they're pretty bright.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Did yours come with a relay? A couple kits I've read about have these to lessen the electric current pulled from the HID's when starting the bike. From what I've read a lot of people runs these without it, but I guess its a good safety thing to have or consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Jackal installed dual HID (low beam) on my FZ so I no longer have a high beam but I can run with both head lights without blinding oncoming traffic. Overall they're pretty bright.
    That's one thing I want to maintain; hi and low beams. I guess there are HID's that do both. My R1 has the hi/low in the same projector now.
    Last edited by oh10raven; Thu Jan 12th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

You definitely want the relay. My first kit was one of the high priced ones with a relay and it worked great. After selling the bike on my new bike I needed 2 and I got a cheap one and had nothing but issues mostly due to the lack of a relay. After hearing good reviews on DDM tuning I ordered a set from them and did add the optional relay and it has been great for a couple years now

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    You definitely want the relay. My first kit was one of the high priced ones with a relay and it worked great. After selling the bike on my new bike I needed 2 and I got a cheap one and had nothing but issues mostly due to the lack of a relay. After hearing good reviews on DDM tuning I ordered a set from them and did add the optional relay and it has been great for a couple years now
    It sounded like a good idea. I'm leaning towards the DDM kit. Mostly good reviews on those.

DDM tuning is a good reputable site. I know many guys who purchsed from them. As for the choice to install HID's, I say do it..... personally I think all bikes should come stock with HID's. Not only do they allow you to see better and farther in front of you, but they also allow other drivers to see you better as well. It's kinda hard to miss a bike with HID's in either Hi or Low beam even in the daytime. They are a good safety precaution. JMO...

Well yamaha's headlights dont turn on till after cranking the motor on unlike most other bikes plus digital ballasts regulate voltage pretty well. I had a set of HID's on my Corolla which has the DRL function that draws less voltage causing the HID bulbs to flicker. With the digital ballast it compensated and I never had to worry about it. You need the D2S style bulb which runs a bit more but hit those brights and man you'll light it up for miles lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Well yamaha's headlights dont turn on till after cranking the motor on unlike most other bikes plus digital ballasts regulate voltage pretty well. I had a set of HID's on my Corolla which has the DRL function that draws less voltage causing the HID bulbs to flicker. With the digital ballast it compensated and I never had to worry about it. You need the D2S style bulb which runs a bit more but hit those brights and man you'll light it up for miles lol
    Hmmm, everything I'm reading about the 09+ says the do turn on the headlights once the ignition is turned on. My battery is on a tender or i'd verify it. Also, I believe I need the H7 bulb. I thinking about going 35w 6000K.

I'll probably order tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The '10 R1 (I am assuming that from your screen name) does use H7 and the projector design is ideal for an HID conversion. I assume one light is on for lowbeam and the second comes on for hi beam?

My gixxer headlight turned on before cranking her over but yamaha doesnt so you dont have to worry about the light warming up and cutting the power at crank up. I saw a dude at Moco with a set of 8k for his 10' R1 and looked sweet
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I went with the piaa bulb upgrade but did hid in my car and some other peoples bike really should have the relay will help the life of the bulb
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

The '10 R1 (I am assuming that from your screen name) does use H7 and the projector design is ideal for an HID conversion. I assume one light is on for lowbeam and the second comes on for hi beam?
    They went to a single HI/Low beam bulb called D2S. Same technology the BMW, Infiniti and such have. The 07-08 like mine have two single low beam H7 bulbs and independant high beams which I,have no,idea what type they are
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yeah 2010 R1, one projector for hi/low beam. There's some internal reflector that changes them from low to hi.

My gixxer headlight turned on before cranking her over but yamaha doesnt so you dont have to worry about the light warming up and cutting the power at crank up. I saw a dude at Moco with a set of 8k for his 10' R1 and looked sweet
    8K, that's bright! I think I'll stick to 6K.

They went to a single HI/Low beam bulb called D2S. Same technology the BMW, Infiniti and such have. The 07-08 like mine have two single low beam H7 bulbs and independant high beams which I,have no,idea what type they are
    Thats interesting, here is the listing straight from Yamaha'a parts catalog:

5PS-84314-00-00 .BULB (12V-55W H7) | HALOGEN

That is for a YZFR1ZB, I am not sure what the ZB means

Thats interesting, here is the listing straight from Yamaha'a parts catalog:

5PS-84314-00-00 .BULB (12V-55W H7) | HALOGEN

That is for a YZFR1ZB, I am not sure what the ZB means
    Cool, thanks. Not sure either about the ZB? Probably just different part numbers for EU, US, ect...

Thats a good guess, there is a ZL and ZW also but they all use the same headlight

Yeah I'm 100% sure on the H7. Checked multiple places.

Might be an H7 as thats the projector type too but in a merged D2S hi/low bulb
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Quote Originally Posted by oh10raven View Post
    Yeah 2010 R1, one projector for hi/low beam. There's some internal reflector that changes them from low to hi.

8K, that's bright! I think I'll stick to 6K.
    6k is Actualy brighter then 8k gets more blue to it ur best light is 6k

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

This should help.