'12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Re: Then and Now Images

Thanks for that

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

LOVE, definitely will need to ad your book to our collection of places to see this summer!
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

A few more.

Quite the scene in Idaho Springs at the turn of the last century as the ore teams prepared to head to the mines in the morning...

Lunchtime is when the community nowadays oftens sees the most activity. If there was something to stand on other than a pick-up truck bumper, could have gotten higher...

The Peck House in Empire (at the southern base of Berthoud Pass) is one of Colorado's oldest continuosly operating hotels...

Much of the interior furniture came with the Peck family in 1862. Not much of an audience this day...

Speaking of Berthoud Pass, almost 100 years ago, 1915...

A gorgeous pass in more ways than one...

Meeker's main street 90 years ago...

Meeker, in NW Colorado is in the middle of fantastic riding, on and off road...

Explorer John C. Fremont discovered the pass containing his name in the 1840's...

That's 14,148 ft. Mt. Democrat in the distance guarding the SW corner of this broad and airy riding pass...

Steve, I finally got around to taking the pictures in Elbert County. You wanted a bike in the picture and nature had not been cooperating

Elbert:

Unfortunately the height was not possible, I suspect there may have been a railroad water tower the the old pic was taken from. I also saw once I downloaded the pics that the angle was a little off, I might go back and try again when I have time

Kiowa:

Your link for the old pic is broken but I inserted it anyway, hopefully you can get the Kiowa pic back. Trees sure grow a lot in 100 years...
    Last edited by longrider; Mon Mar 12th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

lr... Major oops for editing the Kiowa Courthouse pic at my server! Sorry. Here it is. And major kudos, take a bow for your pics. Excellent framing and position!

Also, I think one or two of those trees have survived well. And nice seeing the sweet VFR in the pics.

Knowing there is a familiarity with the MoCo and Deckers here...

Not far from the MoCo, the Morrison school in the late 1800's...

I think it is a residence now...

Bear Creek would rampage through Morrison periodically after heavy rains would soak the canyons above town. The dam at Evergreen ten miles to the west helped sedate the water, but not before this flood 80 years ago, with mud the photographed aftermath...

The tamed stream is behind me in this "now" pic...

Deckers then and now. The river and dirt roads of 100 years ago have been rerouted. Most of the structures are gone as well. Oh but those hills remain
    unrerouted. Facing north, the river and road crossings of Deckers back then...

Climbed the hill overlooking Deckers in the motorcycle gear. Could have scrambled a little higher to the rock the individual is sitting on, but would have been amidst a dense stand of trees...

It actually was quite the idyllic place back then. Good fishin', good game in the forests, etc...

And you know, the fishin' and the huntin' remain good, as does the ridin'. A guard rail and a seriously big tree nearby prevented me from a slightly better
    perspective...

And one could even refresh in a lithia bath back then...

Today...

amazing...thanks for sharing

Hey all, hope you're having a fantastic summer of riding. Been months since updating this thread. Here's some more...

Montezuma, Colorado is a semi-ghost town about five miles west of the Keystone ski resort. It sprung to life in the 1860's after silver was discovered in the area of nearby Argentine Pass. By 1890 the population was up to 1,000 coinciding with the Colorado Silver Boom. Well, the population of Montezuma also coincided with the Colorado Silver Bust three years later in 1893, and since then the decline of the population and structure kind has continued. Five fires over the years have not helped with "historic preservation", but nevertheless some old buildings remain and can be viewed on a ride to this high 10,200ft. elev. place.

Here's a look east down Montezuma's main street in the late 1800's...

And today with a population around 40-50. Note the similar snow patterns on the peak 120+ years later!

Ride the horse through town and turn around looking west back then...

And today...

I did come across this 1940's image of one of the old hotels still standing...

But it is no longer is standing today...

Shawnee, Colorado was a place for tourists to stay a spell. The train noted in the preceding post would drop off Denver paying passengers at the Shawnee train stop for some relaxin', hikin', fishin', etc. About 100 years ago, looking east from Shawnee, this was the view. The tracks are unseen here, down and to the left alongside the North Fork of the South Platte River. But the wagon road is visible...

The dirt wagon road is today's paved U.S. 285...

Now, 100 years ago from the same location as above, if one turned 90 degrees to the right in the wintertime, and looked up, here is where some of the visitors would stay...

It is one of the oldest remaining structures in Shawnee today...

From a distance, one can see how Shawnee looked back then. Can see the above Grand View Hotel to the left of the access road. The really big lodge to the right burned down in 1929. Many of the lodges along the train route burned down mysteriously in the 1920's and 1930's as train traffic gave way to auto traffic. Travelers by auto could come and go from Denver without staying the night or weekend. The probable reason for these lodges turned to ashes? Insurance money.

Well, I hiked up a hill through a garden of cow pies as far as I could go, but elevation gain was no more with a serious barbed wire fence hoping I would make its day. Turned around for Shawnee today...

Have passed through this canyon (back then a train bed, today a chip seal on the old bed) casually the past year or so trying to spot the location of this 100 year old image. No luck. Until a few days ago. "Poised Rock" is that round rock at the top of the sloping rock face. See that dot of a tree in front of it?

The North Fork of the South Platte, about 30 miles SW of Denver. Some things change, some things do not...

Here's the wagon access road to the canyon 110 years ago...

Today's Foxton Road...

Now how about this. Granby almost 90 years ago...

The Granby/Grand Lake area is the gateway to the western sides of Rocky Mountain National Park. Several quick dashes into the traffic, and this image came closest to what is above...

A few then/now of Jefferson, a small ranching community in the high meadows of South Park, Colorado. This is from just after the train tracks were pulled up in 1937 and a dirt road placed down. That's the train depot on the left...

And it is still the "historic" train depot on the left, along with a caboose like structure to the right offering summertime fare like BBQ, burgers, etc. The size of the community hasn't changed much over the years, usually hovering around 50...

In the color image above, see the home with the white window trim? Here it is in the late 1800's...

A few decades later, some new surrounding structures, and some new area residents...

And 90 years later, some new aspen. Well not so new, but doing well. Angle of the sun is almost the same...

Looking down this residential street back with the same home on the right...

Maybe I'll return with a chainsaw for a better now perspective ...

Paused at Barker Reservoir above Boulder, Colorado. It was built just over 100 years ago by the city of Boulder as a storage and flood control project.

Looking east as construction continued and water started to fill the meadows... and cattle saw shrinking pasture land...

The dam has been rebuilt since then...

Looking west before there was a Barker Reservoir...

Ehhh, a bit of a change....

OK, the image above shows the historic mining town of Nederland in the distance, with the ski runs of Eldora up higher. Nederland was a consolidating kind of town, providing central services for the productive mines and now ghost towns up higher. Men from the Netherlands named it Nederland for the town was located on a somewhat small, but nevertheless flat piece of land reminding them of their European home. And how about this, a color "then" image from ~60 years ago...

I had lunchtime chow down the street, and after some nice consumption strolled up the hill, turned around, strolled some more, framed things...

Silver Plume, a flair and fade mining town that was hitched to the fortunes of silver prices, is just off I-70 on the eastern climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel. It's just one exit west of Georgetown.

72 years ago this is how it appeared...

Today, at almost the same time of day and season given the shadows. It has not been prettied up like some other historic towns in Colorado, but I kinda like that it hasn't...

At the very least, if there is hint of weakness or affection for freshly baked bread, then absolutely exit for Silver Plume, ride the dirt 100 yards to and through the setting above, and then stop at the Sopp & Truscott Bakery at the east end. If it isn't open there will be a metal chest at the door with wrapped loaves of soft and freshly baked bread of sundry kinds. The honor system has a small chest inside for your $4 - $5. If you turn around from the images above, here it is...

Georgetown, a community that thrived from the late 1800's silver boom, and continues to fare well today. It is located on I-70 where the eastern climbing grade to Loveland Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel increases notably. Interesting how starting ten miles east of Georgetown the fever came ores of gold, but not here, nor Silver Plume on the other side of the interstate. Georgetown is also at the northern base of the Guanella Pass Scenic Byway, and the north side was re-engineered and repaved last year.

Here's the Alps like Guanella Pass Road...

The last switchback before the summit is attained...

But anyway, this is a then/now thread, and here is Georgetown over 100 years ago...

I-70 comes up this Creek Creek drained valley and hugs the slopes on the left, though one can hardly tell from this treed image from the same location on the Guanella Pass Road (which was constructed as a wagon road for the silver mines up above)...

Parades were big events back then, communities large and small often had them for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Three images a photographer captured from the same spot as the parade made a turn...

Today. Thankfully those mountains in the background helped find the location, for the buildings hardly do...

At the rear end of the parade. Dressing up was a common practice for events like a parade, but seemingly it was the thing to do whenever out in public...

Today. More trees and some structural changes...

LOVE the photos! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    YES!!! MOAR

btw... I road over Guanella Pass from Georgetown to 285 for the first time this past Sunday. If you haven't had the opportunity to do so, you're missing out!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

+1
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Is it bad that all of the old photos, look like modern day Rifle, CO?

modern day/Rifle, CO
    ^I think that's a contradiction...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Hehe. I worked at the Morrison Inn when I was 15. They had some really cool old photos of when it was a drug store. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    ^I think that's a contradiction...
    Can't wait till we get electricity...next year!

Board Newbie

That was awesome, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    YES!!! MOAR

btw... I road over Guanella Pass from Georgetown to 285 for the first time this past Sunday. If you haven't had the opportunity to do so, you're missing out!
    Thanks all. Reflections of the past... something a modern day, two wheeled horse can uniquely deliver.

Salsa... Guanella is sweet isn't it. A superb re-engineering and paving job on the north side completed last October. The feds supposedly are going to help Park County finish the south side the next few years.

Board Newbie

Very cool to compare and contrast