Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOPA and PIPA: Are you aware?

Exclamation SOPA and PIPA: Are you aware?

These pending legislations will change the internet as we know it if they come to pass. They allow the government, on the behalf of IP holders, to black-list and mandate the removal of sites deemed in violation by their removal from the US DNS registries and payment services. DMCA has nothing on these bills and there is no due process for DNS removal or takedown notices; and we all know IP holders often disregard Fair Use and Safe Harbor laws. Scary stuff, sounds like our internet may devolve to the likes of Iran's of China's. I've already called my representatives, signed petitions, and sent emails. Not much more I can do but raise awareness.

FYI:

http://techpp.com/2011/12/28/sopa-it...do-to-stop-it/

http://techpp.com/2011/12/28/sopa-it...do-to-stop-it/

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: SOPA and PIPA: Are you aware?

Yeah, it's really about as bad as it sounds too. MANY prominent people, companies, etc are against SOPA and what it will mean.

GoDaddy lost over 18,000 domains in one day this week in a protest over their support of this shit legislation before they recanted. I will not support any company that is actually behind this BS, and am probably moving my domains off of GoDaddy as well just because they actually thought it was a good idea.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I know i use to have all my domains on these smaller mom and pop domain shops and then they would get sold or move or close down and my domains would be jacked for a week while they figured out how to manage them so i moved to big brother (GoDaddy) not because there website is super awesome or there customer service but because they didnt appear to be going anywhere and I barely use any of their services other than domain name host.....DNS elsewhere, email servers run at home, hosting at home, etc......so now I am at a point of wondering if i should play along and F the man at the possible expense of income impacting downtime or continue to watch it all play out.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

This isn't cool. alot of my favorite sites are gonna be in jeopardy!

I had seen the thread some time ago but didn't sound too interesting until i went on one of my fave websites and they had the same notice, which brought me back here.

Like someone stated, "The freedom, innovation, and economic opportunity that the Internet enables is in jeopardy"

Again, like seemingly all these issue that may affect us--NDAA, SOPA, PIPA, Patriot Act, etc.--they exist in a vacuum beyond our ability to influence, alter or change.

Sure, I'm opposed to SOPA and PIPA, but despite signing petitions, emailing representatives, and the rest, I've a feeling that since I'm not a major contributor like those pushing for it, I won't be heard, and these things will pass...

I'd like to think I'm just being cynical, but my cynicism seems well-grounded in reality...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Yep. Keep the peasants ignorant and working hard for the nobles...

Alternative news sites might be harder to locate, which means we get the party line only.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

I'm very interested to see if:
    A. Nuclear Monday happens
    B. If it does, will it have an impact
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Very aware and very pissed off about it. I truly hope that some other big names like Google, Amazon, etc. get on board and participate in the blackout on Wednesday next week. A Google blackout would be tantamount to a real-world apocalypse. I totally want everyone to witness what it could be like if SOPA goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    The blackout is set for the 18th--Wednesday next week.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

^^ Has it moved to Wed? Last I heard, the black out (Nuclear Monday) was on the 23rd... The day before congressional debate begins.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Just found this... Hearings have been delayed. aka We're going to back burner this until the american public lose interest and find something else to focus on... then, it'll get pushed through quietly.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...ddressed.shtml

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...le+Feedfetcher

...and all this from the people who think the internet is a series of tubes.
    Last edited by salsashark; Sat Jan 14th, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Yeah, it's not about money or anything.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...le+Feedfetcher

Another member of Congress that has been feeling the heat from voters is Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI). After reddit members raised $15,000 in 48 hours for his anti-SOPA challenger, Ryan came out with a clear statement of opposition to the legislation.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sure, I'm opposed to SOPA and PIPA, but despite signing petitions, emailing representatives, and the rest, I've a feeling that since I'm not a major contributor like those pushing for it, I won't be heard, and these things will pass...
    A few of the major contributors AGAINST SOPA/PIPA:
    Ebay
    Facebook
    Google
    Twitter
    Yahoo
    PayPal
    Tumblr

Just found this... Hearings have been delayed. aka We're going to back burner this until the american public lose interest and find something else to focus on... then, it'll get pushed through quietly.
    The media is already choking it out...

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...sopapipa.shtml

Also, here is a short list of petitions for those interested.

http://americancensorship.org/

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions ("Stop the E-PARASITE Act")

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/

http://stopcensorship.org/

This is a great link - www.craigslist.org/about/sopa

I can almost guarantee you eBay and Paypal are not shutting down for a day on Wednesday, or any other day, to protest this. The immediate and lasting financial impact would be huge.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I can almost guarantee you eBay and Paypal are not shutting down for a day on Wednesday, or any other day, to protest this. The immediate and lasting financial impact would be huge.
    Im sure you are right. But they are still contributing funds to oppose SOPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    Im sure you are right. But they are still contributing funds to oppose SOPA.
    As they should. I just question whether this Internet Apocalypse is for real, or just anti-SOPA hype.

than sincere ignorance

B. If it does, will it have an impact
    I hope:
    A. I hope it does.
    B. I hope it does.

As they should. I just question whether this Internet Apocalypse is for real, or just anti-SOPA hype.
    I know of 2 sites that have extensively sent out notifications and ads saying they will be blacking out on the 18th. Im sure there are more. I dont really see how it will have any real impact on SOPA though, aside from perhaps raising awareness?

I just question whether this Internet Apocalypse is for real, or just anti-SOPA hype.
    It's a matter of maintaining a free internet, devoid of government control and censorship. The government loves loopholes in order to choke out whatever "cause" some anal dipshit Senator or Congressman decides to take up.

And as someone else stated (I forget where), declaring some sort of martial law on piracy will do more harm to legitimate businesses/corporations (that are trying to stamp it out) than piracy itself could EVER do. Friggin' morons.

If your business model can't survive in the 'net age (piracy or not), then you need to re-evaluate your model. Trying to get the government to intervene in order to keep your dying model in business is just wrong.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

I hope Google goes black, that would really rise awareness.

Also you can call and leave voice mail for congress. Dont know if it will actually do anything/

...and the beat goes on.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24855...ml#tk.rss_news

A petition to investigate alleged bribery of politicians by the Motion Picture Association of America was created Saturday at the activist website "We the People" by a Texas man.

The petition, which has garnered nearly 7000 signatures in the first day after it was posted January 21, calls on the Obama Administration to investigate MPAA CEO Chris Dodd, a former U.S. senator, and his organization for remarks he made on a cable news network.

According to "Michael L," the creator of the petition, Dodd's remarks on Fox News were "open admission of bribery and a threat designed to provoke a specific policy goal." A section of the White House site invites people to create petitions and gather signatures on any issue.

SOPA, PIPA or not it looks like the Gov is still on the move to shut down these sites. The FBI just shut down a couple of file sharing sites today. Filesonic, Megaupload, and Fileserve. Word is they are threatening all the others as we speak.

I actually belong to filesonic and just tried to download a legitimate file (custom android ROM) and was greeted by a big FBI warning and no access. Sucks because not only are they blocking the pirates but they are blocking the legitimate users as well.

Last edited by Graphite675; Sun Jan 22nd, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
    // MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

I think this is insane and can't believe that it's actually being considered. What happened to freedom of speech...

This is what you see if you go to megaupload now...

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)