Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grim fought the law and Grim won!!!!!!!!!!

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Grim fought the law and Grim won!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday i had my hearing for my "illegal pass" on P2P back in october. Nooch and his buddy also got tickets that day for "following too closely" but they paid there plea bargain whereas i told them to shove it up their ass.

I was recording that ride with my gopro and because i had footage of me passing the truck legally then passing the Sheriff i knew i would be golden.

I did not submit the video as evidence instead i just printed pictures in 5 second intervals.

The best part of yesterday that almost made me bust out laughing in court was when the officer stated in his report: "Mr. Kelley passed the vehicle going southbound while in a double solid yellow line making it an illegal pass. he then passed me where i was pulled over at the top of peaceful valley where Mr. Kelley waved at me. He was then pulled over my another law enforcment official where they awaited my arrival in which Mr. Kelley stated: "yes i passed the truck and i was the guy who gave you a friendly wave" end quote".

The pictures i had sitting in front of me and that i showed to the officer as well as the judge showed me waving at the sheriff .

The other great part was he looked at my pictures and tried to come up[ with some BS like "Well Mr. Kelley began the pass in a legal area but when he was finishing the pass he was in a double solid yellow and that is where i saw him".

BULLSHIT SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can see clearly in the video and the pics i was in a legal passing zone even after i made the pass and was back in the southbound lane!!!!

The judge looked at the pictures and it was as clear as day to her it was a legal pass she said a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo and said: "with the evidence provided in these pictures clearly it was a legal pass and i have no other option but to rule in favor of Mr. Kelley". BOOYA!!!! i got the biggest grin on my Grim face ive ever had!!

I left the courtroom did a little dance outside the courthouse while people looked at me like i was retarded and had a fucking awesome ride of redemption on the ninja back home!

here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzriPeRSVMM

Re: Grim fought the law and Grim won!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah man!!! Sad though it takes footage, since so many people get abused by cops who pull this shit. I wonder if you could report anything on him; seems like you have the proof he is making unjust tickets!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

hahahah!!!

good work. It's definitely unfortunate that you have to have a video camera to prove your innocence.
    -Ryan

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    The other great part was he looked at my pictures and tried to come up[ with some BS like "Well Mr. Kelley began the pass in a legal area but when he was finishing the pass he was in a double solid yellow and that is where i saw him".

BULLSHIT SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can see clearly in the video and the pics i was in a legal passing zone even after i made the pass and was back in the southbound lane!!!!
    Damn, it wasn't even close to being an illegal pass. Sans video, you would have been paying the price for his incompetence or, worse, fabrication of what happened. In a system where the word of an officer is regarded more highly than a citizen in a testimony vs. testimony situation, I believe we need to have better accountability for officers. For something as egregiously wrong as this, the officer needs to suffer some consequences. You might consider letting one of the local news investigation teams know about this.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

This tickles me in places that most of you will never see. Chalk up one for the good guys.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Hell yeah man!!! Sad though it takes footage, since so many people get abused by cops who pull this shit. I wonder if you could report anything on him; seems like you have the proof he is making unjust tickets!
    He's already going to get in at least a little bit of trouble with either his supervisor or that judge. In traffic court there's a thing called preponderance of evidence which basically means that there is no legal burden of proof, the cop's word is sufficient because, as a police officer, cop's do not lie. Which we all know is horseshit, but regardless, when a cop gets proven wrong in traffic court, he has basically been discredited and "shamed".

So good job Grim, you've single-handedly made the world of Title 42 a bit more legit!

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

That's beyond awesome Grim! Congratulations!

Sure, you won. But you're still a douche.

I kid, of course, having never met you.

I see why you didn't use the video as evidence. From my unofficial POV, you were going a little quickly in that area. Then, you passed the truck and maybe noticed the cop? If so, btw, way to be looking at the road ahead instead of your front wheel. I'll bet the cop wanted to get you on speeding but didn't have enough to make it stick (like a good radar reading or whatever it takes), so he gave you illegal pass. Either way, congrats on beating the rap. Douche.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Also, this is proof that every rider should own a GoPro!

As Grim mentioned, I was there that day and also got cited for "following too closely". I also had my GoPro running. But I decided against fighting the ticket in court because A. they offered me a plea bargain through the mail for 50% of the fine and a reduction to a non-moving violation (no insurance penalty) and B. because the Boulder statute says that following too closely involves "failure to maintain a reasonable or prudent distance" which is much less black-and-white than Grim's case.

But still, GoPro is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    Sure, you won. But you're still a douche.

I kid, of course, having never met you.

I see why you didn't use the video as evidence. From my unofficial POV, you were going a little quickly in that area. Then, you passed the truck and maybe noticed the cop? If so, btw, way to be looking at the road ahead instead of your front wheel. I'll bet the cop wanted to get you on speeding but didn't have enough to make it stick (like a good radar reading or whatever it takes), so he gave you illegal pass. Either way, congrats on beating the rap. Douche.
    What gets me is that He stated in court as i asked him "Did you actually see me pass the vehicle or did you just assume i had passed him in an illegal passing zone based on your memory of the road"? His answer was yes. Clearly in the video and the pictures i submitted I cannot see the sheriff because he was at the top of the hill so how could he have possibly seen me?

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Damn, it wasn't even close to being an illegal pass. Sans video, you would have been paying the price for his incompetence or, worse, fabrication of what happened. In a system where the word of an officer is regarded more highly than a citizen in a testimony vs. testimony situation, I believe we need to have better accountability for officers. For something as egregiously wrong as this, the officer needs to suffer some consequences. You might consider letting one of the local news investigation teams know about this.
    Submitted to channel 9 news

I received a ticket while riding my motorcycle in boulder county back in October 2011. I was pulled over lectured and issued a citation for "illegal passing" at the time i had a GoPro which is a recording device mounted to my helmet and it was recording my ride. What the officer does not know is that it was recording my alleged "illegal pass" which in fact was legal. I had my hearing yesterday where the judge ruled that my evidence was factual enough to prove it was a legal pass. We live in a world where where the word of an officer is regarded more highly than a citizen in a testimony vs. testimony situation, I believe we need to have better accountability for officers. and this particular scenario i believe is a pristine opportunity for you guys to shed light on the situation and make others aware that it may be possible that law enforcement may be taking advantage of there power.

I would be willing to interview and provide more detail along with the photos if you wish to pursue this as a story.

I stole your line if you don't mind but it had a good ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    So what you are saying is the officer didn't have enough evidence to give him a speeding ticket and so the created a lie in order to punish him for something he could not prove.

And how is something like this give credence to the idea that an officers word is more valuable than a civilians ?

However this does bring up an interesting point. Lets say Grim was speeding and the officer saw it and found out the grim had his GoPro running. How hard would it be for a law to be passed allowing the officer access to the Go Pro to prove his assumptions and write up Grim on speeding based on that evidence?
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    So what you are saying is the officer didn't have enough evidence to give him a speeding ticket and so the created a lie in order to punish him for something he could not prove.

And how is something like this give credence to the idea that an officers word is more valuable than a civilians ?

However this does bring up an interesting point. Lets say Grim was speeding and the officer saw it and found out the grim had his GoPro running. How hard would it be for a law to be passed allowing the officer access to the Go Pro to prove his assumptions and write up Grim on speeding based on that evidence?
    The officer cannot take my Gopro or the video on it without my permission unless he had reasonable suspicion that i was driving recklessly in which he could then have arrested me and taken it in as evidence. Precisely why i DID NOT provide the video in the court as it is then evidence and charges of speeding can be brought up in the courtroom for speeding based on a pacing method used by the law enforcement officer as you cannot see my speedometer and even if you could have my speedometer is off by a lot and i could dispute that with proof.

Also i did not argue with the officer on location because him and i both know it would be a waste of our time and he did not ask if my gopro was running or not however he did know i had it on my helmet.

Come to think of it i could be wrong in the statement above as you cannot see any posted speed limit signs.
    Last edited by grim; Fri Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I stole your line if you don't mind but it had a good ring to it.
    No problem. Good luck getting the news people interested.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member

Fucking liar got owned. Good for you.

Yep, something like that.

I didn't say it did.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Fucking piece of shit cops. At least this time justice was actually served.

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

good thing you changed your bike up that cop is going to have a hard on for you this year

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

'02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

An officers word is more valuable than a civilians Snowman how do you think the court hearing would have gone if i did not have evidence that it was a legal pass the judge would rule in favor of the officer.

siiiick

Quote Originally Posted by Fumet5uNo View Post
    good thing you changed your bike up that cop is going to have a hard on for you this year
    True dat son true dat!