Thread: Motorcycle Operator Safety Training fund

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Motorcycle Operator Safety Training fund

I went yesterday down to the capitol to speak in front of the Colorado State Senate Transportation Committee about SB12-089 which would end the MOST program here in Colorado, leaving us with out a Safety program and with no backup plan.

The MOST program is not a state funded program. We, as motorcycle owners, pay $4 when we register a motorcycle or $2 when we renew our drivers licenses. The program offers many benefits, including paying for the CDOT signs, motorcycle safety advertising, and education. The biggest benefit the program offers is a $70 discount for any resident or military person wanting to take a motorcycle safety class if they take the class through a company enrolled in the MOST program. This allows companies in the MOST program to offer the basic training course $99-225 depending on the length of the class. The only training company not enrolled in the MOST program here in Colorado is the Harley Davidson program and they can not qualify because the bikes they use to train are too heavy and do not meet the MSF qualifications. Their class is over $300 per person.

If the MOST program was removed, most companies would have to raise their prices to around $300. It would also mean that the class would no longer waive the state testing. Colorado DMVs do not have the infrastructure to support testing and there are only two facilities in Colorado that even have the room to do motorcycle testing. This would mean a 4-5 month wait to take the test.

Senator Scott Renfroe proposed a bill to end the program. He did so after the first and only audit of the program since it's origin over 20 years ago was conducted and found some issues. One of the big issues was that some of the companies who were in the MOST program were not passing the discount to the students. ABATE and other stakeholders in the program had brought these issues forward in 09 and had proposed a bill to fix the issues. That bill was killed in the committee but the audit was ordered.

One of the biggest opponents of the MOST program is the Colorado Confederation of Clubs. The COC has such members as the Banditos, Sons of Silence and other patched clubs including the Rough Riders. It should be noted that the COC has approached the Colorado Sportbike Club many times asking us to join and have been turned down flat. They do not allow women members to vote or hold any position of power. They also require a hierarchy and their clubs must support the agenda of the COC politically.

They simply can not understand how a club can thrive with out tight controls and a year long admissions process. I was introduced to the Son's of Silence's Public Relations Officer at the swap meet earlier this year. He was very vocal about the removal of the MOST program and claimed he represented all motorcycle riders here in Colorado. This is when I decided to speak up. He represents the 1%ers. That leaves 99% and there was no way he was representing my voice.

I was given two minutes in front of the Senate panel. I explained that most of us believe in rider education and that while there are problems and issues with the program, they can be fixed. I am happy to report that the bill was killed 4-3. In the 5 minute break after it was all said and done, the COC representative approached me and asked why we weren't a member. I told him we weren't interested. That made him really mad and made me really happy in my special angry place .
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Re: Motorcycle Operator Safety Training fund

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Thank you for being a voice of reason.

..and made me really happy in my special angry place
    That's awesome...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Christi did a great job yesterday afternoon, not only for speaking on the behalf of the CSC but for also turning away the advances from Diablo, the COC president.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

well done Christi!!!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

The COC sounds like a bunch of Neanderthals, but what was their argument against this particular program?
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

COC(k) does NOT represent the sport of motorcycling IMO.

Christi you represent!
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Wed Feb 22nd, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

http://www.colorado-coc.com/

As far as what their argument is, well they didn't really make a good argument when they spoke so it was hard to determine. But they are extremely anti-government and against the $4 annual fee on motorcycle registrations.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

Yes Christi did a great job!! Thanks again to all of you that helped out...even if it was just your signature on the petition. ABATE appreciates your support and efforts. On a personal note, so do I. We needed all the help we could get and you guys stepped up!!!!!
    Terry

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    http://www.colorado-coc.com/

As far as what their argument is, well they didn't really make a good argument when they spoke so it was hard to determine. But they are extremely anti-government and against the $4 annual fee on motorcycle registrations.
    One of the clubs they represent is for active, retired, fallen, and disabled vets to be as anti government as they are is pretty damn hypocritical to me.

Are they a "pay to be in our organization" type?

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    One of the clubs they represent is for active, retired, fallen, and disabled vets to be as anti government as they are is pretty damn hypocritical to me.

Are they a "pay to be in our organization" type?
    There are plenty of legitimate clubs that are part of the COC. And there is also the Bandidos, Sons of Silence and these guys that got in trouble a few weeks ago - http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=243977
    I would doubt if you asked all the clubs and members what the MOST program is that they would know.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

No, I don't think the clubs pay the COC but I could be wrong. I know that all the clubs that belong to the COC collect dues from their members. Most of the clubs in the COC are set up like Sons of Anarchy (administrative, not saying all the clubs are into illegal stuff). They just don't like having a motorcycle group out there that they can't control. On a plus note, I think I scared him because here I was speaking for a very large group of riders and they didn't have any warning and they have no control over us. Yea, that's right, I'm scary lmao.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

There are membership dues. I may not be correct in the amount as it has been a couple of years ago...but dues for an associate member...which is all ABATE can be because we are not a "club" was $150. ABATE members have consistantly voted down becoming members of COC since I have been involved with ABATE (13 years).
    Terry

Great job Christi, Terry, and all involved We are Happy it all worked out, sure wish I could have done more but hey with a great group like this we are in "Good Hands"
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Fantastic!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

All I can think of is how strange it is there is a Club for Motorcycle Clubs to join. I had never heard of COC before.
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

Yay. That is wonderful news.
    Thank you Terry and Christi.

Not sure why a forum would join a Club like that...LOL Lets say it happened, and to be apart of this forum you had to pay $30 a year. I just go start another Colorado forum...LOL Or someone else would.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterlaster View Post
    All I can think of is how strange it is there is a Club for Motorcycle Clubs to join. I had never heard of COC before.
    The COC isnt a club, it's a coalition of all the clubs. You have probably heard of the clubs that make up the COC: Sons of Silence, Bandidos, Ruff Ryders, Street Soldierz, etc.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

The COC is like mafia 'protection' in my book.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV