Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Greeley rider

RIP Greeley rider

Does anyone know the rider went down today in front of UNC?
    Life is too short. "Ride fast, take chances."

John
    KTM Duke 690

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: RIP Greeley rider

Damn. What a shame to be so young and have it all taken away (as it seems to be a this point) by a careless driver.

Left-turners are our number one killers. Those of us that have been riding the the street jungle for a while know we have to approach intersections in an alert and prepared state. if you're a newer rider, I hope you'll think about and develop this skill. Think about what you'd do at each moment as you approach if a left-turning driver entered your path. Can you brake in time? Can you accelerate out? Can you change lanes? If you find yourself with all "no" answers, you need to re-assess how you're riding if you want to stay alive. And you don't want to start asking those questions after someone pulls a stupid move on you. You have to be ready to react when it happens.

And this is a particularly bad time of year since people in cars aren't used to seeing very many of us out there. Don't let the exuberance of your first ride in a while cause you to overlook the things you need to do to improve your odds of staying alive. Stay focused. There are a lot of future rides waiting for you. Make sure you get to them.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I dont completely understand that accident scene. The body appear to be all the way back in the intersection but the bike is 100 feet down the road. Did he maybe fall off, hit the car while his bike glanced off the car?

Unfortunate accident Stay safe everyone.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

so sad.
    good words from the chief Viffer folks!! take them to heart

Just yesterday I had two near misses from the exact same scenario.
    It's like we're invisible.
    be careful out there!!!

Hmmm..... I'm riding to work. After reading, thanks for the reminder to be alert.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    I dont completely understand that accident scene. The body appear to be all the way back in the intersection but the bike is 100 feet down the road. Did he maybe fall off, hit the car while his bike glanced off the car?
    My guess is that he got knocked off the bike and the bike continued rolling until it hit the curb. The gyroscopic effect of the wheels makes a rolling bike pretty stable, so they can roll by themselves farther than you might think.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

as seen here for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNbOh0N3BSs

Video doesn't even say how the accident occurred but d-bags like to speculate on how the motorcyclist was probably 'showing off' on his 'crotch rocket'.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/articl...703059991/1002

I would assume that the woman driving the Jeep turned in-front of of the motorcycles who were likely speeding and the unfortunate rider wasn't wearing a helmet. That's just my guess based on the provided information.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

RIP Rider
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

rip, and good advice!
    -Eugene-

2007 black hayabusa touring beast
    2003 KTM 525sx/exc hybrid
    2002 black and blue hayabusa- (SOLD)
    2000 ZX7R STREETFIGHTER-(SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Damn. What a shame to be so young and have it all taken away (as it seems to be a this point) by a careless driver.

Left-turners are our number one killers. Those of us that have been riding the the street jungle for a while know we have to approach intersections in an alert and prepared state. if you're a newer rider, I hope you'll think about and develop this skill. Think about what you'd do at each moment as you approach if a left-turning driver entered your path. Can you brake in time? Can you accelerate out? Can you change lanes? If you find yourself with all "no" answers, you need to re-assess how you're riding if you want to stay alive. And you don't want to start asking those questions after someone pulls a stupid move on you. You have to be ready to react when it happens.

And this is a particularly bad time of year since people in cars aren't used to seeing very many of us out there. Don't let the exuberance of your first ride in a while cause you to overlook the things you need to do to improve your odds of staying alive. Stay focused. There are a lot of future rides waiting for you. Make sure you get to them.
    Echo echo echo

Such important info, I had to quote it
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

notice the first comment is about crotch rocket and need for speed, more people need to flag it so they take it down
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

GSXR

06 Honda Civic EX
    25/36 MPG
    0-60 9.6 seconds
    Quarter Mile 17.3

08 Ducati 848 (Ferrari red)
    09 Honda cbr600rr (green/black)
    07 Yamaha r6R (blue)
    05 Kawasaki zx6r 636 (lime green)
    99 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (red/black)

RIP... so early in the season.

Goddamn....my deepest condolences to the family.
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post

This exact thing happened to me this morning on my way to work!! Luckily had enough room to brake, but damn they still surprise you. As I came up I was watching him and thinking...."don't you do it, don't you do it....ah, YOU DID! Watch out for those left turning cars, ride safe.

I often do a slight weave in my lane so potential left turners at least know I'm there.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I often do a slight weave in my lane so potential left turners at least know I'm there.
    I do the exact same in addition to having my highlight on during the day. Kinda flash them a little with my headlights from the weave so they know I'm coming.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

I've been noticing people merging/switching lanes with no turn signal...maybe the jeep did not give him enough time to react????
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Yep, lateral movement is a good way to improve the odds that they will see you. Since we're smaller and not on their minds as much as cars, it's easier to miss us. Lateral movement does a better job of registering our presence.

--Thomas Jefferson

So, i heard from eye witness the kid was up on a wheelie
    when jeep turned, when the rider came down he squidded out
    And hit the jeep. RIP rider.
    Life is too short. "Ride fast, take chances."

Quote Originally Posted by Willhide View Post
    So, i heard from eye witness the kid was up on a wheelie
    when jeep turned, when the rider came down he squidded out
    And hit the jeep. RIP rider.

Yipes....