Thread: TSA "Activist" and Body Scanners

TSA "Activist" and Body Scanners

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...-a-sewing-kit/

Jonathan Corbett, who filed a suit against the TSA's use of full body scanners, reveals just how easy it is to bypass the agency's $200,000 technology.

Jonathan Corbett, who has been embroiled in a civil suit against the TSA since November 2010 and taking the case to the Supreme Court, turned to the Internet to reveal just how easily the TSA’s nude body scanner can be easily undermined. In watching his YouTube video, we’re compelled to wonder about the efficacy of such scanners in catching the next shoe bomber. Are the scanners in fact just a $1 billion dud?

In its efforts to maintain the security for passengers in the case of another bomb threat, the TSA has conjured up all sorts of contraptions and preventative measures that have succeeded to varying degrees. In the last two years, after the failure of the “puffer,” a machine intended to capture bomb reside from a puff of air, the government pursued the next available tech. According to the TSA, it purchased 600 nude body scanners at nearly $200,000 per machine, which have been deployed in 140 airports nationally. What they did not expect was the outcry and public backlash.

The public’s concern has been directed at the sheer invasion of personal privacy by a machine intended to reveal the nude body to a screening TSA agent. In turn, policy makers and governing bodies have had to weigh the risk of a successful, albeit rare, terrorist attack, against the privacy of passengers.

The scanner to a degree serves as a psychological deterrent for passengers intending ill-will on others. In other cases, with the help of scanners, the TSA has uncovered guns, knives, grenades and even a loaded spear gun. But passengers attempting to carry on prohibited items had not been privileged with the information that bypassing the screening merely required a swatch of fabric and a sewing kit.

The TSA screens only the front and back of your body within the scanner, and the detection of a prohibited carry-on item is achieved visually by an agent. When scanned, a passenger’s body is revealed on-screen as a white figure juxtaposed to a black background, and a concealed object is noticeably rendered black. Due to this technicality, any object shown against a black background will be rendered undistinguishable to the human eye. As Jonathan demonstrates in his video, simply sewing a pocket to conceal the item on the side of any shirt will suffice for any passenger attempting to bypass the scanners undeterred.

Digital Trends talked to Jonathan about his video and asked him why there was such a proactive backing from the government to integrate these scanners, to which he clued us in to four scenarios:
    I think there could be many reasons, some well-intended, some not:
    1) Because someone may actually foolishly believe they make us safer
    2) Because the body scanner manufacturers have government connections and lobbyists
    3) Because the government wants to condition Americans to accepting more invasive searches and airports are a good place to start because people are afraid
    4) Because the TSA likes shiny, expensive new toys (seriously).
    We reached out to the TSA regarding the video and TSA spokesperson, Lisa Farbestein, informed Digital Trends that the video was, “a crude attempt to allegedly show how to circumvent TSA screening procedures.” She declined to go into detail about the technology but the confidence in the machines was evident. “TSA conducts extensive testing of all screening technologies in the laboratory and at airports prior to rolling them out the field,” Farbestein said. “Imaging technology has caught many items large and small, and is one of the most effective tools available to detect metallic and non-metallic items, such as the greatest threat to aviation, explosives.”

If in fact the TSA has been mistaken about the efficacy of the X-ray scanners, it’s a daunting uphill battle for Jonathan as he reveals that its use in screening passengers traveling by train, subway and bus is catching steam. The Australian government only days ago announced a $28 million overhaul of their security system to integrate the scanners throughout the country, and would require passengers to be scanned or risk losing their ride. But, to the credit of the latest designs, the Australian scanners is purported to depict passengers as “stick figures,” which will render the people in them unidentifiable.

According to Farbestein, the upgraded scanning software in question, intended to protect passenger’s privacy, are currently being testing in the United States for its more advanced, “backscatter” body scanning devices. Its earlier model, “millimeter wave” scanners, have been updated with the latest software. “The TSA recently installed new software on all millimeter wave units currently in use – upgrades designed to enhance passenger privacy by eliminating passenger-specific images and instead auto-detecting potential threats,” Farbestein said. The new upgrade is coined, “automated target recognition” as the software is able to highlight the general location of the perpetrating object. “TSA plans to test similar software on backscatter technology in the coming months,” Farbestein added.

In the event that Jonathan’s efforts prove to be successful, we asked of him suggestions for maintain the security of passengers, while outwitting the rare outliers intending harm.

“My understanding is that the number one fear of “the terrorists” is bomb-sniffing dogs. These cute and non-invasive little things can do better than anything we can create and cost a fraction of a nude body scanner,” Corbett informed us. “Re-enforcing cockpit doors, arming pilots, and a watchful set of passengers has done much more to prevent another 9/11 than the TSA has.”
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: TSA "Activist" and Body Scanners

TSA is trying to pull it down from everywhere it can. TSA isn't mad its a "security breach" (which its not) because many federal departments have probed the TSA with weapons, drugs, and bombs and were SUCCESSFUL DAMN NEAR EVERYTIME. The TSA is mad because you are trying to expose their fraudulent power base. They enjoy groping your 10 year old daughter, they enjoy groping you, your wife, your son.

Wake up people.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Gold Member

Hey i enjoy them groping me. At least thats what i portray if they ever did. Maybe because i try to look all excited about the process they never pick me. Lol. Im still waiting for the day i get say oh fuck yeah in a nasty voice when he grabs my man hood. Then when hes done turn around and tip him five bucks and tell him to stay golden. Lol

tsa employees use to be life guards at your local pool.

Abolish the TSA!

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

When i was Flying to Elgin, IL last year for work I was super early and had a lot of time to burn so i decided to have some fun. I had to go through the thing that spins in a circle around you and i spun with it while laughing, i got yelled at, told to step out of it and they patted me down and waved a wand over my genitals where i just stood there with a shit eating grin on my face.

They asked "why didn't you just stand there like you were supposed to?"

I said "well my wife didn't give it up this morning so i had to get my jollies off somehow"

They just looked at me like i was insane and said have a nice flight...then i heard them say "what an asshole" as i walked away

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    When i was Flying to Elgin, IL last year for work I was super early and had a lot of time to burn so i decided to have some fun. I had to go through the thing that spins in a circle around you and i spun with it while laughing, i got yelled at, told to step out of it and they patted me down and waved a wand over my genitals where i just stood there with a shit eating grin on my face.

I said "well my wife didn't give it up this morning so i had to get my jollies off somehow"

They just looked at me like i was insane and said have a nice flight...then i heard them say "what an asshole" as i walked away

Gold Member

i still want to do the sex toys things for when they search your bags. maybe someday i can mess with them.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    i still want to do the sex toys things for when they search your bags. maybe someday i can mess with them.
    An ex of mine was fairly uninhibited when it came to sex, and she regularly had a vibrator in her purse. She had some hilarious stories about scanners getting red in the face and such.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Oh damn when did that album come out?

you could do what i did except moan when they wave the wand over you, make them as uncomfortable as possible.

Gold Member

Hey i enjoy them groping me. At least thats what i portray if they ever did. Maybe because i try to look all excited about the process they never pick me. Lol. Im still waiting for the day i get say oh fuck yeah in a nasty voice when he grabs my man hood. Then when hes done turn around and tip him five bucks and tell him to stay golden. Lol
    you could do what i did except moan when they wave the wand over you, make them as uncomfortable as possible.
    already working on that one. they just never pick me!!

already working on that one. they just never pick me!!
    Gotta make yourself the target...BE THE TARGET!!!!

or wrap a towel around your head......oops is that not PC??

Gold Member

yeah i dont think a towel will help.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I agree that reinforcing doors etc. has been maybe more effective, but the guy is a total dickhead for showing how to trick the scanners. If he had this info, and wanted to actually do some good, he should have told the TSA in private, not broadcast it to the terrorists.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I agree that reinforcing doors etc. has been maybe more effective, but the guy is a total dickhead for showing how to trick the scanners. If he had this info, and wanted to actually do some good, he should have told the TSA in private, not broadcast it to the terrorists.
    The TSA already knew in private, TSA is security theater -- nothing more. Security through obscurity is a fallacy, not a sound practice.

The terrorists have likely just not made a serious attempt at airliner hijacking/exploding for some time. If someone really, really wanted to get something bad on a plane, it would happen. I think one of the largest blocks to a hijacker these days is the knowledge that passengers won't sit there and be sheep anymore. Everyone watched what happens live on TV, and the few attempts at it since then have resulted in many passengers basically going Chuck Norris on assholes, because they realize they have nothing to lose at that point.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    The TSA already knew in private, TSA is security theater -- nothing more. Security through obscurity is a fallacy, not a sound practice.

The terrorists have likely just not made a serious attempt at airliner hijacking/exploding for some time. If someone really, really wanted to get something bad on a plane, it would happen. I think one of the largest blocks to a hijacker these days is the knowledge that passengers won't sit there and be sheep anymore. Everyone watched what happens live on TV, and the few attempts at it since then have resulted in many passengers basically going Chuck Norris on assholes, because they realize they have nothing to lose at that point.
    I agree that the passengers have been a big help, but even though the TSA has become TOO heavy-handed, I'm sure they have done a lot of good. We just need to find the balance.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

i always get patted dwn cause i'm a crazee mutha fucker....!!!!!

Just thought I'd share some experience here, our airport just got one of these and I was the first Officer to piss off Dispatch since getting them, so I got thrown to standby at the airport for 4 hours.

I can't comment on how it works or anything, but on the screen that the agent sees is a generic outline of the human figure. They call it an Avatar, and it doesn't look male or female, it's just a generic human figure. The thingy scans you, and then on the screen it highlights suspect areas yellow. If it highlights, you then get patted down on that area. Of the 150 or so people it scanned, I'd say it highlighted on about 40, and after a quick 3-5 second pat down they were allowed through.

It should be noted the screen that the agent is looking at is not hidden at all, you can clearly see what it scanned on you if you simply turn and look.

For kicks I went through it with everything I wear on. Pretty much the only thing it didn't highlight on me was the left side of my head (Right side has my earpiece), and my hips to my shins. From my neck to my upper thighs was yellow, and both my ankles/feet were.