Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Grip Glue

Throttle Grip Glue

I have some new heated grips that need put on. The throttle one is just a little loose. Wondering if someone has a suggestion on a type of glue that is better than others? Easier to apply, less mess, etc?

And then, where to find said glue. Are there other alternatives that could be picked up at a hardware store?

Thanks

Re: Throttle Grip Glue

I've used contact cement in the past (and currently have some) to glue the heating element to the throttle tube/handlebar. And then I use hairspray like normal to get the grips over the heating elements....
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
    I have some new heated grips that need put on. The throttle one is just a little loose. Wondering if someone has a suggestion on a type of glue that is better than others? Easier to apply, less mess, etc?

And then, where to find said glue. Are there other alternatives that could be picked up at a hardware store?

Thanks

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Spit. That's all I've ever used on my grips and never had an issue.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Spit. That's all I've ever used on my grips and never had an issue.
    Can you come spit on them for me then? If you think that is indeed an acceptable solution

Quote Originally Posted by Spooph View Post
    I've used contact cement in the past (and currently have some) to glue the heating element to the throttle tube/handlebar. And then I use hairspray like normal to get the grips over the heating elements....
    From what I can tell, its all one piece? I'll probably just have to show you. There is no separate heating element, its all one piece that just slips on over the handlebar.

Can you come spit on them for me then? If you think that is indeed an acceptable solution
    I'll have to check with Kristin to see if she's ok with me spitting in your grips.

You just get a good spit going, drop it in there, rub it around the inside with your finger and slide it on.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I'll have to check with Kristin to see if she's ok with me spitting in your grips.

You just get a good spit going, drop it in there, rub it around the inside with your finger and slide it on.
    It seems your spit is more sticky than mine then.

Although, I do agree final decision should lie with Kris

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Did you already put the grips on? And now they are sliding? Did you put on the elements and then a different grip over the top?

I put heated grips on last year (bought the $30 elements and put some $10 grips over the top). All I did, is put the heating elements on, put a little soapy water on the inside of the grip, slid the grip over the element and let it dry over night. If you need a hand, I'm not to far.

Tip: If you haven't put the heated grips on yet, go get some good electrical tape (not the cheap stuff) and wrap it around the bar before putting the heated grips on. That way the heat won't disperse in the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Did you already put the grips on? And now they are sliding? Did you put on the elements and then a different grip over the top?

I put heated grips on last year (bought the $30 elements and put some $10 grips over the top). All I did, is put the heating elements on, put a little soapy water on the inside of the grip, slid the grip over the element and let it dry over night. If you need a hand, I'm not to far.

Tip: If you haven't put the heated grips on yet, go get some good electrical tape (not the cheap stuff) and wrap it around the bar before putting the heated grips on. That way the heat won't disperse in the bars.
    The new ones are all one piece. There is no separate heating element. I'm at work and can't remember what kind they are. The left one goes on ok and stays in place ok. The throttle one is just a little too big, it rotates all the way around

The new ones are all one piece. There is no separate heating element. I'm at work and can't remember what kind they are. The left one goes on ok and stays in place ok. The throttle one is just a little too big, it rotates all the way around
    Got it. Well, then none of what I said helps in the least. You can swing by Sun Honda (it's not far from you) and they have grip glue downstairs in the parts area. I would think that any grip glue would work well enough.

Clear lacquer paint. The problem I have had with spit is it is water soluble so enough moisture will cause the grips to spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Clear lacquer paint. The problem I have had with spit is it is water soluble so enough moisture will cause the grips to spin.
    I ride in the rain and never had a problem.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Use hair spray
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Use hair spray
    Yup, read this on a forum once and have used it many times and never had any issues with the grips coming loose!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Excellent, thanks for your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Use hair spray
    agreed

I was going to ask if you had the Koso grips. I have had real issues with the throttle grip being too loose, I am normally a hair spray user but that didnt even hold long enough to go ride. used Honda grip glue, that held until I turned on the heat. Finally got a heat rated epoxy and even that didnt hold. If you find a glue that works let me know, I really liked the grips otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I was going to ask if you had the Koso grips. I have had real issues with the throttle grip being too loose, I am normally a hair spray user but that didnt even hold long enough to go ride. used Honda grip glue, that held until I turned on the heat. Finally got a heat rated epoxy and even that didnt hold. If you find a glue that works let me know, I really liked the grips otherwise.
    Boo, this is highly disappointing As they were supposed to be a little better because of the way they were designed. I will see what I can come up with and let you know!

temp rated epoxy didn't work? huh...

I might look into some more industrial type epoxies...it might be hard though to find something to adhere to the plastic and not eat the rubber(assuming inside of grip is rubber)

maybe also try glue in conjunction with some saftey wire, but you probably don't want to compress where the heating elements are...

doesn't Juney have the same grips? maybe ask how hers are holding up, and how 303 installed them...

I've used lotion on my last 2 grip installs and they have gone on successfully. Overnight, they dry and you have no play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post

I bought a tube of ThreeBond Grip Glue from 303 several years ago. I figured since I didn't have any hair spray lying around, I might as well do it right. Price has gone up a bit since I bought mine, but it has worked great and the tube has done 3 sets to date. Probably enough glue to do a couple more.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.