Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Re: Which Oil?

i use semi synthetic

bike rides GRT!!!!

Can we start a pistol caliber thread too? 9mm vs .45?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    9mm is for girly-men. Real men use .45 and above.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

when i was in ft. drum, i like this type of gun

I'm gonna be a jackass and throw in .38 SPL.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Nate,

Maybe I can help again.

The new formulation of the Mobil 1 15W50 isn't going to hurt your motor or make your clutch slip. It might not be quite as good as it used to be for motorcycles, but it's still very good oil and will serve you well.

To continue, all of the recommended oils (so far) are perfectly suitable to your motorcycle. I've picked the one I've picked for my reasons, and others have stated their reason. None of the products are a miracle oil that's going to make your motorcycle gain 20 HP. At the same time none of them is an evil product that's going to make it blow up.

The real key to all of this is to care for your machine, change the fluids routinely and pay attention to it when it tells you something is wrong. Preventive maintenance will go a long way to a bike that lasts a long time.

So pick your slippery juice - your bike will live a long and glorious life on any of them if you take the time to take care of it.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    OMG....now I am back to square one! Always used the Mobil 1 red cap, but people got me scared of the clutch thing and new formula. I want to bang my head!

And to top it off the guy from ebay (posted above) wrote me back and this fool does want $44 for 1 quart of Mobil 1 T4...wtf this stuff goes for $17 at a quart at WalMart, so don't see how idiots decide to more than double the price and put it on Ebay.
    Zach - I choose .357 sig

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

.44 mag Dirty Harry style. Beoth!!!!!
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I used Silkolene dino oil for a long time….recently switched to the semi synthetic.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

.50 Desert Eagle Magnum.

Or, for big machine guns, the 30mm cannon in the Warthog. I actually have a spent shell form one. A guy brought in a .50 from a Barrett, and the '30 absolutely dwarfs it. It's even a lot bigger than the 20mm. The 30 has to be seen in action to be believed!

Oh wait, weren't we talking about oil?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD View Post
    I use the Mobil 1 Racing 4T as well, only it's $10/qt at most auto parts stores... I didn't even look in Walmart but is it really $17/qt there?!?!

But hey, that eBay auction doesn't have shipping or tax! Whatta deal!
    Sorry my bad, not sure where I got the $17 from. $10 is even crazier if this ebay seller wants $44. Seller wrote me back saying "This item is dropshipped by the supplier, there's a dropship charge and it's shipped UPS, it is all included in the price."

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Nate,

Maybe I can help again.

The new formulation of the Mobil 1 15W50 isn't going to hurt your motor or make your clutch slip. It might not be quite as good as it used to be for motorcycles, but it's still very good oil and will serve you well.

To continue, all of the recommended oils (so far) are perfectly suitable to your motorcycle. I've picked the one I've picked for my reasons, and others have stated their reason. None of the products are a miracle oil that's going to make your motorcycle gain 20 HP. At the same time none of them is an evil product that's going to make it blow up.

The real key to all of this is to care for your machine, change the fluids routinely and pay attention to it when it tells you something is wrong. Preventive maintenance will go a long way to a bike that lasts a long time.

So pick your slippery juice - your bike will live a long and glorious life on any of them if you take the time to take care of it.

Scott
    Thanks again. I did stop by Oreily's Auto Parts yesterday to check out what they had. They had the Mobil 1 in the Gold cap, but I checked and it did have the "Energy Conserving" logo. So not sure if the other gold cap doesn't have it or if they did switch up the formula. I then checked Rotella and it did NOT have the "Energy Conserving" logo, so I think that one was ok. Since Mobil 1 had been in my bike for years I went ahead and bought the Mobil 1 4t Racing. Was only $10.99....guy was helpful so was willing to dish out the extra money I could have saved ordering online...plus it was right there in stock.

This is what I mean by the logo:

Thank you everyone for the help. It was fun learning about different oils and still so much to learn....
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Just found out some good news!

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...t_Walmart.aspx

Walmart will once again be stocking 15W50 Mobil 1 in the 5 quart jugs for about $26 each.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Just found out some good news!

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...t_Walmart.aspx

Walmart will once again be stocking 15W50 Mobil 1 in the 5 quart jugs for about $26 each.
    From what I saw on Mobil 1 bottles they all have that "Energy Conserving" additive in it now which is unsafe for motorcycles. You may want to check the bottle before buying if you plan to use it in a motorcycle. I even checked the "gold cap" and the additive was there!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!