Thread: Tips for carrying a passenger?

Re: Tips for carrying a passenger?

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Easy. Tell her to:
    1. Sit the f#ck down.
    2. Shut the f#ck up.
    3. Hang the f#ck on.

Simple!
    Reasons 486, 487 and 489 why Frank's ex's are the way they are....

MRA Racer No.427

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'd rather just buy my wife her own bike, than install one of those things.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Easy. Tell her to:
    1. Sit the f#ck down.
    2. Shut the f#ck up.
    3. Hang the f#ck on.

Simple!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Not to be mean, but anyone noticed the weight of the passenger makes a huge difference? If I keep the weight of the passenger around 100pnds I can barely notice she is on there, but when heavier I feel as if the bike feels very weird (top heavy). This could be because I only weight about 180 pnds and am on a 600cc.
    I'm 155 and she's 95. The rear sinks down when she gets on, but that's about all I notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I would add the bumping helmets is normal and expected.
    Ok, I was wondering about that. Another post says that means she's not looking and paying attention as much as she should be. Things to discuss nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Have you taken the BRC? The student handbook has an excellent list of tips on page 40... tips that weren't taught in the course I took 16 years ago that would've been helpful when I took my first passenger out. ... If you haven't taken the BRC, I highly suggest you do so - I took it last year, after riding for 15 years and 80K+ miles, and still learned something!
    Yes, I took the BRC through T3RG at Fays last summer. I actually had purchased my bike a few days before that and it was waiting for me in the garage. I didn't want anytime to go between taking the class and putting it to use.

To (almost) everyone: thank you for the very sound advise. What I've learned is that I'm thinking I'm more advanced than I really am. For now, if I want to take the bike out then I'll either follow or have her follow me in the car if we are going somewhere together. Assuming I get in some good miles this year and learn a lot more from you all, I'll start out slow next year, working on the basic skills in the parking lots and going from there. I know if I go down just once, it's bye bye riding for me cause she'll have none of that business. Thanks again for all the input.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F (with upgraded horn!)
    Designated Sweeper

Quote Originally Posted by SlackerATC View Post
    I know if I go down just once, it's bye bye riding for me cause she'll have none of that business. Thanks again for all the input.
    There is no if, you will. It's just the nature of the beast.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    There is no if, you will. It's just the nature of the beast.

This,

It's inevitable man I had the same mentality and found myself getting the tail end of my bike shoved up my ass on I-25.

Tips for carrying a passenger?
    sorry bro nothing from me.

My bike is made for 1

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    I was thinking about getting this kind of setup for my daughter. Marc & Monica use one like it, and I spoke to them about it, it works for them because she's got long arms, but someone with short arms would be stretching to reach them, and leaning (uncomfortably?) pretty far forward to do so.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackerATC View Post
    I know if I go down just once, it's bye bye riding for me cause she'll have none of that business.
    Screw the gay ass handle and buy yourself a pair of nuts.

When learning something, you're gonna make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes result in some pavement time. Just don't hurt yourself if you can avoid it and help her realize that a mistake shouldn't be the end of riding, just like a bossy wife or gf shouldn't kill something you love.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    When learning something, you're gonna make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes result in some pavement time. Just don't hurt yourself if you can avoid it and help her realize that a mistake shouldn't be the end of riding, just like a bossy wife or gf shouldn't kill something you love.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    On this note, absolutely make sure you have the proper gear (and your passenger when you get there)! It's inevitable. 2 kinds of bikers, those that have gone down and those that will go down. Somewhere between gear and luck I walked away from low siding my old superhawk in morrison canyon, and then hitting a deer in the same damn canyon. Gear FTW!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Angry Re: Tips for carrying a passenger?

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD View Post
    2 kinds of bikers, those that have gone down and those that will go down.
    I used to say this too, but I now believe there is a small percentage of riders, who have no desire to push their limits and expand their comfort zone, that go through their entire riding career without ever putting their bike down.

Nonetheless, dress for the crash, not the ride (aka: sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't).
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

I have that tank handle installed and my girl says it made a day and night difference in her comfort and confidence hence making her a far better passenger.
    Otherwise listen to everything Barn says!!
    He is a expert bitch rider and his advise is gold!!!!!

lubz ya Barn

I just tell em "Hold on or fall off: the choice is yourz!"
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    I have that tank handle installed and my girl says it made a day and night difference in her comfort and confidence hence making her a far better passenger.
    Otherwise listen to everything Barn says!!
    He is a expert bitch rider and his advise is gold!!!!!

lubz ya Barn
    I think you've mistaken this thread for the one where people are asking about cleaning products.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

when i had my 600 my wife rode once and that was just around the blk of the neighborhood. she did not like it one bit to put it mildly. she said "fuck that i'll get my own bike, i'm a bitch that controls shit mutha fuka."....heahahhaa

This thread has helped me immensly with my older boys who are figity and
    unknowingly make the bike move some.

Appreciate all the serious and funny replys.

I think the main thing is making sure your pass is comfortable with your riding skillz! I've taken both my lady and a few other lady friends (4 nutz do not go on one bike!) on quick rides around town without any issues. Helmets bump from time to time, but nothing major. The lighter the pass the beter only because the bike is upset less, but simple directions like folks have said here like look the way of the turn on each turn, and hold the F on help tremendously. Also, let them know to use their legs to squeeze you on stops instead of letting you, the rider, take all the extra weight helps a lot. I like taking my ol lady on rides more and more because I'm hoping I can get her motivatied to snag her own bike soon so we can both ride together! That process is a slow one though.
    -Mick-
    1990 White/Black Eagle Talon TSi: The "Caged" cage.. 792hp/623tq- 9.98@144.77mph
    2008 Yamaha R1 Raven: 10.7@134 - DNA race air filter, Gutted cats and modded factory cans, -2 front sprocket!
    2007 Yellow/Grey GSXR1000: 11.24@143.4mph- Stolen... Me sad panda...

I used to ride passengers, but the dynamics of riding changed for me around when I turned 25; I'm 32 now.. I would rather rent a second bike now a days. than have anyone on the back of my bike. I'm not out chassing tail anymore.. I ride for my sanity :-) not the safety of a passenger. Hope that makes sense.. Im pretty tired n maybe a little drunk still.. Haha Gotta Love R&R....
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

I didn't read the responses but I am sure there are good advice from all.... This is just what I do.

- I tell the passenger that no matter what, if I tap her leg, she must hold on tight. This can be due to a turn, accelerating, etc.

- At red lights, for her to watch when the other light is turning yellow, so I dont surprise her leaving immediately when it turns green.

- when stopping, to put her hands on the gas tank to help brace herself.

- When turning, just to lean completely on me, her body goes where my body goes. (If i cant handle the extra weight, a skinnier female is needed)

- on straights, she can sit up and relax, I will tap her leg to let her know when it's time to hold on

Now for yourself, remember that it takes a lot longer to stop/slow down, if you have a high powered bike, it's easier for the front end to come up.

As normal riding but even more so with a passenger, you can't go all out, you must leave a bigger margin of error for anything that comes up.

I have seen riders complain about passengers, but I have never had any issues myself with any of them, I just compensate for anything stupid they may do on the back.

You may also want to tell them don't adjust their *ss on the seat when slowing to a stop. Do so after you have stopped all the way or you may do the funky wiggle trying to stop.

what's the signal for show us your tits?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

yes we need that for Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    You may also want to tell them don't adjust their *ss on the seat when slowing to a stop. Do so after you have stopped all the way or you may do the funky wiggle trying to stop.
    The funky wiggle.
    Also, thanks to all who mentioned telling her to use her hands on the tank to stop. I think that would help keep the pressure off me and both of us more comfortable. Neither of us had thought that as an option.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F (with upgraded horn!)
    Designated Sweeper

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    Here a sissybar for you. Elvis '66 shovel

In my opinion that sissy bar is the ugliest thing on that bike! Would look better to me without it!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!