Thread: School Me On KTM 525SMR

School Me On KTM 525SMR

Lookin to pick one up and would like to know who has experience with them and overall thoughts on the bike. Thanks

Re: School Me On KTM 525SMR

Krod and Kevin @ Epic have/had them.

I had one for a while. Makes a decent trackbike for the big RR tracks. I think the 450 Japanese bikes are just as quick if not quicker, but the 525smr has longer legs with a 6-speed and can still be geared higher. Big gap between 5th and 6th gear tho. Kinda falls on its face in 6th so only good for real long straights. Bullet proof motor and simple valve adjustments(no shims).

Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1 View Post
    I had one for a while. Makes a decent trackbike for the big RR tracks. I think the 450 Japanese bikes are just as quick if not quicker, but the 525smr has longer legs with a 6-speed and can still be geared higher. Big gap between 5th and 6th gear tho. Kinda falls on its face in 6th so only good for real long straights. Bullet proof motor on and simple valve adjustments(no shims).
    How hard is it to get it street legal? I've done a little googling and I'm not seeing much. Stator, e-start, tail and head light with wiring harness...anything else? I don't see any kits out there specifically for it.

If you don't care about having lighting good enough for night riding and you just want to pass inspection to get title, you can go cheap and get a battery and run a headlight and LED taillight strip directly from it. Then all you need is a mirror for left handlebar, a break light switch, some reflectors(I used the ones that double as license plate bolts), and a squeeze ball horn(depending on who is doing the inspection).

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

If'n I do this, I want to do it and be able to have some night time shenanagins. Now I know zilch about electrical shit. What's the benefit of 100w to 120w? Can run a brighter light? DC to AC?

Get an EXC with a title and buy wheels and sell the dirt if you don't want them. Savge yourself the headache. I have a SMR/SX CDI I am selling. And a Jardine slipon (rather loud).

I can't find an EXC for sale locally. You know anything about the Beta 450RR, Bueller?

Beta has same motor as the RFS motor in KTM up to '07.

If you want more of a supermoto I'd get the SMR and spend $300 on lighting and a high output stator. SMR comes with SM tuned suspension, radial mount FTE front caliper, Braking wave rotors, steel braided brake lines, and a more aggressive cam than the EXC.

If you buy an EXC and want it to be more supermoto oriented you can count on spending $700 right off the bat for springs/revalve, atleast $500 on wheels, atleast $500 for a good brake set up (can get away with just a cheap used 320mm rotor/caliper relocator for about $150). And it still won't be near as good as an SMR. Depends on what you want to do with the bike. Any dirt?

Too bad you weren't looking 6 months ago. I sold a Husaberg FS650C for $3k. Had hi output stator, e-start, and came stock with same suspension and brakes as an SMR.

Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1 View Post
    Beta has same motor as the RFS motor in KTM up to '07.

If you want more of a supermoto I'd get the SMR and spend $300 on lighting and a high output stator. SMR comes with SM tuned suspension, radial mount FTE front caliper, Braking wave rotors, steel braided brake lines, and a more aggressive cam than the EXC.

If you buy an EXC and want it to be more supermoto oriented you can count on spending $700 right off the bat for springs/revalve, atleast $500 on wheels, atleast $500 for a good brake set up (can get away with just a cheap used 320mm rotor/caliper relocator for about $150). And it still won't be near as good as an SMR. Depends on what you want to do with the bike. Any dirt?

Too bad you weren't looking 6 months ago. I sold a Husaberg FS650C for $3k. Had hi output stator, e-start, and came stock with same suspension and brakes as an SMR.

Yeah I saw that, was a good lookin bike too.

Too bad I just saw this, traded mine off yesterday. There good bikes and alot of aftermarket stuff out there. Trail tec has all the things you need to street it cheap. Watch out for stock valve problems and crank bearings. Anything specific ya want to know just ask. Raced one for 5 years.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

Here's the bike I'm lookin at

Nice! You gunna get it?

Looks like the street stuff is done already, is it titled?

It is titled and all the street stuff is done. I looked at a couple locally today and I can't really beat this deal. Looks like I'll be getting it.

I have a complete race engine less the crank, the head came off of benny carlson's race motor. everything is there but the crank... has the 6 speed trans and all the other goodies, traded mine off and just sitting on these parts 250.00 shipped, killer deal??? well know here just ask around. Have tons of shit for this bike,,,, GOOD Choice. Jim 303-710-2719.
    HighSide Racing
    Marine Corps vet
    http://roadrunnertg.com/

Quote Originally Posted by krod View Post
    I have a complete race engine less the crank, the head came off of benny carlson's race motor. everything is there but the crank... has the 6 speed trans and all the other goodies, traded mine off and just sitting on these parts 250.00 shipped, killer deal??? well know here just ask around. Have tons of shit for this bike,,,, GOOD Choice. Jim 303-710-2719.
    If you can hold onto it for another couple weeks or so I'm definately interested.