Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a gun can make you see them.

Carrying a gun can make you see them.

Holding a gun makes you think others are too, new research shows

“Beliefs, expectations and emotions can all influence an observer’s ability to detect and to categorize objects as guns,” Brockmole says. “Now we know that a person’s ability to act in certain ways can bias their recognition of objects as well, and in dramatic ways. It seems that people have a hard time separating their thoughts about what they perceive and their thoughts about how they can or should act.”

Could be a good example of the theory behind the Florida shooting.
    Florida teen's shooting by watchman questioned

MRA Racer No.427

Re: Carrying a gun can make you see them.

Where do they find these people?!?!? To be qualified for the study, you must have an I.Q. below 12!

Then again, the people in my CCW class were pretty scary. It was pretty obvious that some were there for the 'macho' factor!

I have never thought that another person was carrying. That includes my friends, who I know are carrying. It just becomes part of your everyday routine and you never think about it. It becomes so common place that I'm afraid some shit will go down, and when it's over, I'll remember that I have my .45.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

"Thus, by virtue of affording the subject the opportunity to use a gun, he or she was more likely to classify objects in a scene as a gun and, as a result, to engage in threat-induced behavior, such as raising a firearm to shoot."
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Not all of us have stopped swinging from trees Dean. I'm sure people that become really familiar with guns understand the real number of people carrying them and not see them everywhere. However this study would indicate they are in a minority. This would mean a level of education might be in order so someone like this guy who shot a kid with a bag of skittles wasn't a real threat to him.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Not all of us have stopped swinging from trees Dean. I'm sure people that become really familiar with guns understand the real number of people carrying them and not see them everywhere. However this study would indicate they are in a minority. This would mean a level of education might be in order so someone like this guy who shot a kid with a bag of skittles wasn't a real threat to him.
    After being told to stand down by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    "Thus, by virtue of affording the subject the opportunity to use a gun, he or she was more likely to classify objects in a scene as a gun and, as a result, to engage in threat-induced behavior, such as raising a firearm to shoot."
    So, that's why cops shoot people with wallets or soda cans in their hands!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    After being told to stand down by the police.
    I'm seeing no police at the scene when the kid was shot...

Zimmerman, 28, called police around nightfall on February 26 to report a suspicious man in his neighborhood.

"Something's wrong with him. Yep. He's coming to check me out," Zimmerman told a police dispatcher in a 911 call released Monday. "He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is. Send officers over here."

The teen started to run, Zimmerman reported. When he said he was following, the dispatcher told him, "We don't need you to do that."

Shortly afterward, neighbors began calling 911 to report a fight, then a gunshot. By the time police arrived, Trayvon lay dead. He was carrying a bag of Skittles and an iced tea that he had purchased at a nearby convenience store, and was headed back to his father's fiancee's home.

Martin said he's "positive" that his son's voice that can be heard screaming for help in the neighbors' calls.

"It's heartwrenching, because those actually were my son's last words," he said. "And to hear his last words being cries of help, is devastating. It tears me apart as a father."

MRA Racer No.427

They should add mental evaluations to obtaining CCW permits. Zimmerman is a perfect example. This asshole had the whole neighborhood thinking he was a "cop wannabe". This dick head confronted many of his neighbors for no reason. Even with a CCW, you're not supposed to be armed when "patrolling" the neighborhood as a watch captain.

I would also add that self defense doesn't apply when the cops (911) told you to stay in your car. This guy needs to be fried!!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    So, that's why cops shoot people with wallets or soda cans in their hands!
    Hey I just quoted the article

I've already learned there are way too many people on this forum for CCW permits, so no need in debating this issue. I am not against them, but wish their process for getting one was stricter. As you said people in your class were "pretty scary" so doesn't make me feel to comfortable these types are approved by the state to carry a gun.

P.S. They issued a CCW to Ashli and that girl loses her temper more than a rabid pitbull
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Mar 20th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Hey I just quoted the article
    I was just saying that the article would explain why so many are shot when they have no weapon.

I've already learned there are way too many people on this forum for CCW permits, so no need in debating this issue. I am not against them, but wish their process for getting one was stricter. As you said people in your class were "pretty scary" so doesn't make me feel to comfortable these types are approved by the state to carry a gun.
    I completely agree!!

P.S. They issued a CCW to Ashli and that girl loses her temper more than a rabid pitbull
    She probably never actually carries, but I'm guessing she'll be too scared to pull it. Not sure if that is good or bad...
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Tue Mar 20th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Kim & Dean

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

"It's heartwrenching, because those actually were my son's last words," he said. "And to hear his last words being cries of help, is devastating. It tears me apart as a father."
    If it were my kid, that guy would really be needing his CCW shortly thereafter...
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

She probably never actually carries, but I'm guessing she'll be too scared to pull it. Not sure if that is good or bad...
    I am surprised she hasn't pulled it out on Hoopty yet...well that we know of

I'm seeing no police at the scene when the kid was shot...

Zimmerman, 28, called police around nightfall on February 26 to report a suspicious man in his neighborhood.

"Something's wrong with him. Yep. He's coming to check me out," Zimmerman told a police dispatcher in a 911 call released Monday. "He's got something in his hands. I don't know what his deal is. Send officers over here."

The teen started to run, Zimmerman reported. When he said he was following, the dispatcher told him, "We don't need you to do that."

Shortly afterward, neighbors began calling 911 to report a fight, then a gunshot. By the time police arrived, Trayvon lay dead. He was carrying a bag of Skittles and an iced tea that he had purchased at a nearby convenience store, and was headed back to his father's fiancee's home.

Martin said he's "positive" that his son's voice that can be heard screaming for help in the neighbors' calls.

According to what I heard on CNN the cops told him on the phone to stand down.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

According to what I heard on CNN the cops told him on the phone to stand down.
    "That is a call taker making a recommendation to him. He's not under a legal obligation to do that, so that is not something we can charge him with. But it would have been a good outcome if those -- if Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman never came in contact with one another."

Unfortunately only 2 people know what really happened that night, and one of them is in no position to testify. Of course the black community is automatically going to want to lynch the guy because he's white, before anyone even finds out what really happened.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Of course the black community is automatically going to want to lynch the guy because he's white
    just couldn't help it, could you?

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Nope, but lets push the button a little harder..

Mr Zimmerman is part Hispanic...

George Zimmerman: 7 Things To Know About Trayvon Martin Florida Shooting
    Last edited by Snowman; Tue Mar 20th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    "That is a call taker making a recommendation to him. He's not under a legal obligation to do that, so that is not something we can charge him with. But it would have been a good outcome if those -- if Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman never came in contact with one another."

Unfortunately only 2 people know what really happened that night, and one of them is in no position to testify. Of course the black community is automatically going to want to lynch the guy because he's white, before anyone even finds out what really happened.
    Yeah, it's really unclear what happened..... I mean someone probably took the guys gun and replaced it with skittles and a iced tea.

I didn't say he was legally obligated to follow what the police told him to do, but it really isn't helping his case.

I haven't seen anyone mention that (at lease for me, anyway) a person can more easily recognize the profile of a concealed weapon once they learn how it looks on themselves. Once I started carrying, I began to notice the subtle clues that others were packing as well. It wasn't paranoia, it was being educated and observant.

Yeah, like it's not an accurate statement? Please....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention that (at lease for me, anyway) a person can more easily recognize the profile of a concealed weapon once they learn how it looks on themselves. Once I started carrying, I began to notice the subtle clues that others were packing as well. It wasn't paranoia, it was being educated and observant.
    If it's 'printing' through your shirt, then it isn't concealed.
    Kim & Dean

If it's 'printing' through your shirt, then it isn't concealed.
    Right you are, but it's common for the wind to blow a shirt just the right way or when a person sits down or bends over to be able to 'read' between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Yeah, like it's not an accurate statement? Please....
    Believe it or not, white people kill black people from time to time. It's not uncommon for people to get annoyed but not turn it into some Rodney King riot, without it being an obviously racially-incensed event.

than sincere ignorance

Believe it or not, white people kill black people from time to time. It's not uncommon for people to get annoyed but not turn it into some Rodney King riot, without it being an obviously racially-incensed event.
    Yup, that does happen from time to time, OBVIOUSLY. It changes nothing about the fact that because it happened like it did, it will drive MANY based on the race of the participants alone. Like I said, an accurate statement weather you want to dismiss it or not.

Read the article.....it specifically mentioned that, but without the word lynch. Look what happened to the token white guy Reginald Denny in the LA riots. Think he deserved a worse beating by FAR than Rodney King ever got (IMO he deserved it not because he was black, but because he was a violent, drunken ASSHOLE), for doing absolutely NOTHING wrong other than "driving while white"?

You should stop rolling your eyes......it's obvious you're already dizzy!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Yeah, it's really unclear what happened..... I mean someone probably took the guys gun and replaced it with skittles and a iced tea.

I didn't say he was legally obligated to follow what the police told him to do, but it really isn't helping his case.
    Let me spell it out for you genius:
    1. There were 2 people there, 1 is dead. Therefore, only forensic evidence can be used. Although, the phone testimony might shed some light.

2. If they were fighting over Zimmerman's gun, then the self-defense claim is valid.

3. The prosecutor has to prove that Zimmerman did not reasonably feel his life was in danger, not the other way around. If the kid was shot in the back, case closed. He was not, so therefore he COULD have been coming towards Zimmerman.

Simple.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian