Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Speed trap tactic

Senior Member Moderator

Re: New Speed trap tactic

I would argue that Europe also takes operating a vehicle more seriously than people here do. I lived in the UK for 3 years and thought I had died and gone to heaven on their motorways. It was awesome to actually drive on roads where people know how to properly use a passing lane!

In my opinion, the reason European roads are safer is because the drivers are taught that operating a motor vehicle is a privilege, not an entitlement. It costs hundreds of pounds in the UK just pass the driving test, and the tests are so difficult that it's very easy to fail. At testing facilities in Finland they teach learner drivers how to properly regain control of their vehicle by deliberately making the car lose control. I don't remember anything close to that when I was learning to drive here.

When I got back to the US, I instantly recognized that people don't know what they're doing on the roads, and it starts with how they were trained. It's very similar to how many of the riders I know wish that all drivers were required to take an MSF course just to raise awareness.

People here are poorly trained, and until all drivers are required to KNOW how to operate their vehicle, nothing is likely to change.

^Agreed on all counts. But I would still point to Montana as proof that Americans are indeed capable of self-regulation...if only given the chance.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Do'Urden View Post
    It's like you blatantly refuse to acknowledge verifiable facts. Montana found it quite possible and citizens very willing to moderate themselves concerning speeds, so much that they even kept it to a reasonable pace. The Autobahn is absolutely one of, if not THE, safest roads on the PLANET. Other European countries have played with not having ANY signs posted except for directional, and amazingly they discovered that drivers became MUCH more attentive and "safe" as a result.

If you're going to argue your point, at least have the common decency to do so intelligently and informatively.
    I don't know what roads you drive on but here people pay no fucking attention to life outside their own little bubble. I know most of us have been run off onto the shoulders with our bikes. I've had people come over in f450 tow truck. THEY DIDN'T SEE A FUCKING TOW TRUCK. You want to give this society free run of the streets? People already break 100 in neighborhoods and kill people. And yes I mean kill. But you are really going to say that our society has compatibility to self regulations on the road??? Really bro im the one ignoring what?? The lady already doing 85 up i25 while doing her makeup. The phones in everyones hands. Everyday there's accidents on straight roadswith great conditions. The moment this state can go one day.... just one day.... with out a accident I would support that idea.
    Last edited by #1Townie; Fri Mar 23rd, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

Again to my point (in the following, the word "you" applies to everyone, not any particular person in this post):

1) Speed limits are posted in great big signs.
    2) You, and only you, are in control of your vehicle speed.
    3) You have knowledge before hand that speeding carries the chance of being caught and penalized.
    4) You have agreed to all this when you opted in to the privilege of driving.

I have ZERO sympathy for someone who speeds and gets caught and then bitches how unfair it is. If you speed and get caught, take responsibility.

If you get caught for something you DIDN'T do (like the post about getting busted for an illegal pass when there was no illegal pass) then you can bitch. I don't care why the law is in force - if you break it and get caught don't bitch about how unfair it is. If you want to change the law, work on changing it. It isn't like you didn't know before hand.

I have been pulled over for speeding three time. In each and every instance I was exceeding the number posted on the giant white signs that I am able to read. In each and every instance it was my fault for going faster than the posted limit. It wasn't the cops fault for being behind a bridge, or the states fault for setting the limits too low, or the fault of the nimrod in front me who was going too slow making me impatient. Man up, for fucks sake.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    2) You, and only you, are in control of your vehicle speed.
    Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock would tend to differ.

In Jmetz defense, I never took this post as him crying about it, but rather warning others that that trap was there and the tactic they were using!

I appreciate threads like this so I can watch out around those areas. Yeah I know speeding is bad, but so hard not to do on a sportibke.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

"you" noted.

Allow myself to quote.... myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Aurora is using a blue unmarked mini van parked on the side of the hwy with a guy in the back clocking. His buddies Re waiting out of sight on the next on ramp. I-70 and airport.

Just got a nice 6 pointer.
    No crying here, no blaming someone else.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

"you" noted.

Yeah you even called it "nice". This can be taken as it was a "nice" wake up call to slow down

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post

If you get caught for something you DIDN'T do (like the post about getting busted for an illegal pass when there was no illegal pass) then you can bitch.
    I heard that guy is a celebrity now.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I heard that guy is a celebrity now.
    Yup, to all the cops that have his name in their "black book". Grim will never be let off with a warning from ANY officer now

Gold Member

Its not that hard to not speed on a sport bike if your job depends on not having any tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Its not that hard to not speed on a sport bike if your job depends on not having any tickets.
    True, but that is being smart and responsible and if my job depended on it I would not speed either.

Thank God it doesn't as I would have lost my job long ago. Although if it depended on it I would have been way more careful and probably not speed at all....job pays the bills!

"you" noted.

Noted - you were not complaining, just warning others. Others, however, have been whining.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser