Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next PlayStation and XBOX to lock out used games - Report

Next PlayStation and XBOX to lock out used games - Report

How annoying that now they are trying to cut out used games on the new gaming systems coming out. This will put places like Gamefly and Gamestopp virtually out of business and we will only get to use the game on one system. Good buy trading games, buying used games, or taking a game to a friends house. At this point it seems like this will happen and I heard this from someone that works on a Microsoft project currently.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-pl...report-6368582

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...ut-used-games/
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Next PlayStation and XBOX to lock out used games - Report

Just a rumor. I doubt this will happen. Would piss off too many people out there.

If people would realize they have power with their money this wouldn't be an issue. If they do this and nobody bought it, they'd change things real fast. But the average consumer likes being force fed so..
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Just a rumor. I doubt this will happen. Would piss off too many people out there.
    I hope not, but they have been trying for years and like I said I thought it was a rumor too until someone working on the next Xbox project said it is happening. I mean it makes all the sense for them as they lose a lot of money to used games. Consumers and businesses will be the one hurt by it.

Doubt it. So they'd make it so kids couldn't even take their games to a friends' house? Ridiculous. BUT, if any one of the big three consoles did have the balls to try, I'd move to one that didn't. If ALL three did it, not sure what I'd do.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu Mar 29th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Well don't forget PC software has been doing this for years, and recently game developers have been doing the same with online play; you get a code to use once for online play and after that you have to buy another online pass if you sell the game. My UFC game I bought did this too me and newest game Twisted Metal too!

Also don't forget that the first PS3's were backwards compatible with PS2's and then they did away with that on newer PS3's.

Gold Member

Fucking mother Fuckers!!!!!!!!

Not gonna happen. Was in that business in Florida, they were talking about it then.

PS4 will (supposedly) not be backwards-compatible, and they are pushing to either disallow used games or else charge an activation fee to use them (like the $10 charge to go multiplayer if you've bought a used disc).

However, GameSpot just said they'll boycott PS4 sales if it won't support used discs since their business is the largest used game retailer in the world.

So...we'll see. If I can't play my old games and can't buy used or play borrowed games then the PS4 can suck my cock. I'll keep my PS3 and upgrade my PC instead.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    PS4 will (supposedly) not be backwards-compatible, and they are pushing to either disallow used games or else charge an activation fee to use them (like the $10 charge to go multiplayer if you've bought a used disc).

However, GameSpot just said they'll boycott PS4 sales if it won't support used discs since their business is the largest used game retailer in the world.

So...we'll see. If I can't play my old games and can't buy used or play borrowed games then the PS4 can suck my cock. I'll keep my PS3 and upgrade my PC instead.
    Talked to guys in my clan on COD last night and they were all talking about this. They all said the same things. If the PS4 is like that, I won't be getting it a anytime soon.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Yep, fuck Sony if they do. I have no 'brand loyalty', and can easily hook my PC up to the big screen, if needed.

Also, hopefully the PS4 isn't an overheating clunker and design fail like the (non-slim) PS3 was out of the gate.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Are people missing that Xbox is ALSO planning this!!! Of course this will not work if Playstation and Xbox do it, but bet this is one time they are on the same side.

Yeah I have heard Gamestopp is boycotting it, but really you think XBox/Playstation cares when they make no money on used games from them. New games will always be sold at Wal-Mart and Target, not to mention they are trying to get away from disks and go to all downloadable content anyway.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Are people missing that Xbox is ALSO planning this!!! Of course this will not work if Playstation and Xbox do it, but bet this is one time they are on the same side.

Yeah I have heard Gamestopp is boycotting it, but really you think XBox/Playstation cares when they make no money on used games from them. New games will always be sold at Wal-Mart and Target, not to mention they are trying to get away from disks and go to all downloadable content anyway.
    I hope they don't do downloadable only i don't want to buy another damn external hard drive.

If it does go to all-online, I could see how it *might* work with your profile on Xbox. Sign in on your friend's Xbox and game, but holy hell that would suck.
    "Yeah, just sign me in over there so we can start COD14 downloading, I'll be there in 30 mins"
    I see a run on Nintendo Wii-HD's or whatever they come up with...

Where are the yokels that don't have internet connections when we need them to speak up about this outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I hope they don't do downloadable only i don't want to buy another damn external hard drive.
    They are saying new consoles will come with a 500gb or larger HD for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyD View Post
    Where are the yokels that don't have internet connections when we need them to speak up about this outrage?
    Nice

They are saying new consoles will come with a 500gb or larger HD for this reason.

Nice
    I don't want to buy a new console i finally just got my first x-box ever last December.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I don't want to buy a new console i finally just got my first x-box ever last December.
    Ok, let me put it simple for our special "Grim"....this only applies to the new consoles not yet released, so I think you are ok.

Ok, let me put it simple for our special "Grim"....this only applies to the new consoles not yet released, so I think you are ok.
    I'll always be behind the times on the gaming scene.

Don't worry Grim, I'm the same way. I've had a PS3 for awhile, but I never buy the latest games. $60 a pop is highway robbery, imo, fuck that. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I wait 'til those 'awesome latest' games drop down to like $20 or $30, then pick one up. I just got FF-XIII and the latest Tekken a few weeks ago for $20 each, new, lol. Haven't even opened FF yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Don't worry Grim, I'm the same way. I've had a PS3 for awhile, but I never buy the latest games. $60 a pop is highway robbery, imo, fuck that. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I wait 'til those 'awesome latest' games drop down to like $20 or $30, then pick one up. I just got FF-XIII and the latest Tekken a few weeks ago for $20 each, new, lol. Haven't even opened FF yet.
    Yeah I am the same way, and maybe bought two games new this year; Gran Turismo (if that was even this year) and UFC 2012, if not I use ebay and get older games for half the price. This is why I am so pissed if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Talked to guys in my clan on COD last night and they were all talking about this. They all said the same things. If the PS4 is like that, I won't be getting it a anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Yep, fuck Sony if they do. I have no 'brand loyalty', and can easily hook my PC up to the big screen, if needed.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...ock-used-games

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter says there's no way the PS4 or the Xbox 720 will ban used games.

Both consoles have been rumored to incorporate technology that will be able to recognize whether or not a game disc has ever been put in another system before.

The more recent spotlight was on the PS4, which is still heavily shrouded in mystery and no one believes that Sony will reveal anything official about the system for at least 15 months or so.

According to the rumors, as quoted by unnamed sources, the new Playstation will have technology built in that blocks used games from working. In other words, once you pop in a PS4 game into the system, the console will create a one-to-one relationship between that copy of the game and the system.

This same issue has been rumored with the Xbox 360's successor, and there have been rumblings on both sides of the aisle. One important note is that pulling such a maneuver would be a huge slap in the face to Gamestop, which directly provides millions of dollars in revenue to Sony and Microsoft and is a very strong partner for both companies.
    Pachter, one of the most influential gaming analysts, said in a GamesIndustry.biz interview, "It isn't really in Sony's or Microsoft's best interests to block used games."

He did, however, concede that it would be beneficial to some. "It would benefit Activision and EA slightly, and would hurt GameStop a great deal. If Sony unilaterally did this, I could see GameStop refusing to carry their console and sales of the PS4 would therefore suffer," he said.
    So, looks like the consoles are caving to demands from the game publishers who want to make more money by eliminating the used market.

You DO realize that this means no more BORROWING of games either, right?

Can't have your friend come over with his version of Shooter Game 9000 and pop it in for a go since it'll be paired with his--and only his--system.

I can HDMI my laptop to the tv and you can even use a 6-axis controller, so I don't need either console anymore--plus BF3 and COD are 64 player on PC instead of 24/32 on PS3.

So...yeah, fuck them (both).

Funny that in the past 2 years the gaming community has been moving to consoles from PC, yet I see this as a major stumbling block and a potential surge for the return to gaming PCs/Laptops since that may be the only way to avoid all of this bullshit.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Hopefully it never happens, but all I can say is F*ck Gamestopp anways. They rip people off and I am annoyed by it. I took in 6 pretty new games and got less than $40 for all of them. They are giving like $5 for a game I got for bday that was $60. I feel no pain for Gamestopp and I don't see how it would hurt console sales when all the big retailers will still sell it. As it is there have never been enough consoles made for releases as it is, so I find it hard to believe it would hurt Xbox or Playstation.

maybe it's an effort to get people to go outside and play real games?

1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I hope not, but they have been trying for years and like I said I thought it was a rumor too until someone working on the next Xbox project said it is happening. I mean it makes all the sense for them as they lose a lot of money to used games. Consumers and businesses will be the one hurt by it.
    They will loss even more when I don't buy into their game system.

I don't want to spend $60 or $80 on ONE game. Not worth it to me. I wait till they are $20-$30. I don't care to be the first that is something little kids feel the need to be.