Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting, Whats your take?

Lane splitting, Whats your take?

Hey folks. As I have mentioned a few times, I drive a transit bus for a living. Well the other day I was driving my route downtown. Stopped at the light on 15th at Curtis, here comes a guy on a Busa splitting between my bus and the car sitting next to me. No with everything we as riders have to worry about, we don't need riders like this making us look like fools. Your thoughts?
    THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW ME, FEAR ME!
    THOSE WHO DO SHOULD FEAR THEMSELVES!

Re: Lane splitting, Whats your take?

He's a tard
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigMidgett View Post
    we don't need riders like this making us look like
    Dickheads.

Agree

While I'm sure the guy on the 'Busa probably was a dickhead. If traffic is not moving and you share lanes keeping it at a controllable speed, whats the problem? You don't like losing "your spot" in traffic, I just feel like people are too selfish and can't let someone else get in front of them as it might add .002 seconds of travel time.

Also inb4 its against the law bullshit.

I would have had no problem with it, if we were on the highway. But stopped at a light in Downtown. To me that is just STUPID!!!

To me that is just STUPID!!!
    Why?

i feel its worse on the highway because it can be so startling and dangerous. i wouldnt care too much if i were in your position as long as they didnt almost hit me or something. ill admit i will ride the shoulder (not split lanes) when there are huge traffic jams for the train in the middle of town or the bike lane to get to the front at a light to turn right if theres no right turn lane and the lead car is going straight.

My take on it is that if you are in an area where it is an accepted practice (California) then I have no problem with it. However here it is so uncommon it scares people when a bike goes by inches from their window so no way would I do it. As far as people being upset because you get ahead of them that happens in CA too so no way to get away from it

Well for starters the light was RED. Second one of the vehicles was a bus, there was no way the rider could have seen if anyone was crossing the street.

I've always wondered why Americans are so vehemently against lane splitting when a good majority of the world does it. I just don't want a ticket, but each rider should be able to make those decisions for himself. Rather than telling me how I'm GOING to be "safe", it's up to me to find out, and depend on myself and not the government. The only way to get people used to it, is do it.

By any chance did you notice if he had CA plates? Filtering to the front is a very common practice out there, once you are at the front you use the better acceleration of a bike when hte light turns green

It was actually a really nice looking bike. Black and Gold color scheme. Didn't notice the plate. There are a few things I guess I should have mentioned in my first post.

1. traffic on 15th was stopped at the light, the busa never even slowed down
    2. he came up on my left side not my right, (not turning)
    3. the light was still red when he went thru intersection
    4. traffic headed east on curtis had green light
    Last edited by OneBigMidgett; Sun Mar 25th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I've always wondered why Americans are so vehemently against lane splitting when a good majority of the world does it. I just don't want a ticket, but each rider should be able to make those decisions for himself. Rather than telling me how I'm GOING to be "safe", it's up to me to find out, and depend on myself and not the government. The only way to get people used to it, is do it.
    It took me about a week to get used to doing in in Japan, but there I was weirding people out by *not* doing it. Cars kept trying to edge over to the side of their lane to let me pass.

Everyone riding a bike/scooter is expected to pull up/through the lanes to get to the front of a red light--there's even a special blocked-off area for bikes/scooters between the pedestrian crosswalk and the line where cars should stop.

Honestly, I really wish we had red light lane-splitting here. It just makes sense to have the smaller, nimbler, faster vehicles up in the front where there more visible, where they're expected to be, and where they can leave before the trundling minivan which blocks everyone else's view of the bike following them...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I don't care when others lane split as long as its at a safe speed.
    It's illegal here and if someone split passed me, not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Honestly, I really wish we had red light lane-splitting here. It just makes sense to have the smaller, nimbler, faster vehicles up in the front where there more visible, where they're expected to be, and where they can leave before the trundling minivan which blocks everyone else's view of the bike following them...
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It took me about a week to get used to doing in in Japan, but there I was weirding people out by *not* doing it. Cars kept trying to edge over to the side of their lane to let me pass.

Everyone riding a bike/scooter is expected to pull up/through the lanes to get to the front of a red light--there's even a special blocked-off area for bikes/scooters between the pedestrian crosswalk and the line where cars should stop.

I saw that zone you're talking about, now I know what it's for. Makes sense lol.

Lane "sharing" is nuts here but I really see no problem with "filtering" to the front at stop lights especially so I don't have to inhale your buses filthy exhaust when you take off. I don't do it but I would if it were legal.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I saw that zone you're talking about, now I know what it's for. Makes sense lol.
    Heh, took me a few days to figure it out, like I said, it was all the cars moving over and other bikes doing it that finally clued me in.

But, once you "get" why it's there, it really, really makes sense for everyone.

How many cars make blind left turns after a bigger vehicle because they don't see the bike behind it?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Lane "sharing" is nuts here but I really see no problem with "filtering" to the front at stop lights especially so I don't have to inhale your buses filthy exhaust when you take off. I don't do it but I would if it were legal.

+1

Cali, NYC, many big cities "allow" filtering. I would do it if we got that kind of gridlock here, but we don't. As for splitting lanes, so many times during rush hour on I-25 it would've been great. If it were allowed like in CA, hellz yeah but I won't be the first .. for about a year, till the cagers get used to it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

It was actually a really nice looking bike. Black and Gold color scheme. Didn't notice the plate. There are a few things I guess I should have mentioned in my first post.

1. traffic on 15th was stopped at the light, the busa never even slowed down
    2. he came up on my left side not my right, (not turning)
    3. the light was still red when he went thru intersection
    4. traffic headed east on curtis had green light
    OK, you just confirmed he was an idiot! I have no problem with filtering, but you do wait for the light to change!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    That's the past man, the past.

We need to recycle threads to keep them current--reposting is just like turning over the compost heap...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Honestly if you have never lived in a place that does it there is really no way to understand it. You might think you do in your head but you dont.

I have lived in some pretty sketchy places as far a lane spitting/sharing goes and once you get the hang of it, its not so bad.

Id agree with longrider and say that its not something I think is a good idea if its not already legal.