Thread: Brake light wont come on!

Board Newbie

Brake light wont come on!

I was going to take the bike out tonight but noticed the brake light wont get brighter. The actual running light is on but when I hit either brakes it does not brighten up. The weird part is the light looks really bright like it thinks the brake is engaged. Im stumped. The only thing I can think of is some how when I washed it yesterday I some how shorted it. What do you all think it could be? And how do I fix it?

Leroy Brown

Re: Brake light wont come on!

Pull the lens first and see if there are 2 good elements, 1 for the running light and the other for the brake light.

If neither brake actuates the light chances are the bulb is burned out.

If there are 2 good elements then disconnect the brake wiring @ both brakes. If the light is still lit (running light) replace the bulb.... first. You can try cleaning the bulb contacts and putting it back in... that works sometimes..

The odds that BOTH switches went out is HIGHLY unlikely.

Post results and we'll work from there. Cool?

You can email or PM me also.

I have also seen the rear brake light switch get out of adjustment. If this happens it could be that you brake light is on all the time. That could be why it seems so bright. Check the bulb as said above and make sure it is not burned out. Check a fuse if you have one for the brake circuit. Then check the rear brake light switch and make sure it is not on all the time.

Ride Safe.
    Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

I just went through that with my front brake switch. It had moved back and was not making contact, therefore it was on all the time. Simple fix if that's the case.
    03 GSXR 750

Board Newbie

Sounds good im going to try tonight to fix it. Ill update you all. 3/4 gixxer that sounds exactly what is wrong with my bike. How did you fix it just what was said above?

Thanx for the help

There should be a micro switch under and behind the front brake lever. I just adjusted the position and retightened it. Took some playing to get it to the right position. One quick check to see if this is it is push the lever out and see if it helps the light or to just take the lever off and see if that fixes the light. Really is a quick fix though.
    03 GSXR 750