Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fort Collins PD

Fort Collins PD

Anyone seen this? I respect authority and know there are 2 sides to every story, but I have personally seen a few rather ridiculous and questionable acts by the Fort Collins PD when I attended CSU.

http://thedirty.com/2012/03/fort-col...e-looked-into/
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Fort Collins PD

You can't hear what the officer says before he shouts "step back" and shoves the subject. To me, though, his tone tells me that he had already asked the subject to step back and the subject didn't comply.

Having someone too close to you when your hands and attention are occupied with writing is an officer safety issue. If the subject was given a lawful order to step back and didn't comply, he got what he deserved. There is a statute in Colorado called "failure to obey a lawful order".

I don't feel bad for the guy.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Dealing with drunk college kids on a nightly basis could push anyone over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post
    You can't hear what the officer says before he shouts "step back" and shoves the subject. To me, though, his tone tells me that he had already asked the subject to step back and the subject didn't comply.

Having someone too close to you when your hands and attention are occupied with writing is an officer safety issue. If the subject was given a lawful order to step back and didn't comply, he got what he deserved. There is a statute in Colorado called "failure to obey a lawful order".

^I am taking this position^, it sure "Seems" as though he had already been told/asked to step back and if you don't,,,, Shame on you "Officer Safety"..... however, this opinion is only based on the short video, but who really knows.. At least they didn't get into a car and try to run them over
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Dealing with drunk college kids on a nightly basis could push anyone over the edge.
    Guess what? If you can't do that job without ASSAULTING people for no justified reason, then your shouldn't a) be a police officer or b) in Ft. Collins.

Unless additional details come out as to why, both officers deserve a non-paid reprimand IMO.

Also, I submitted this story to every major news outlet a day or two ago when they ran a piece on it.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Link isnt working for me at work can someone copy and paste.

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Blocked by my work web proxy too, dang.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Thank you sir
    Last edited by grim; Thu Mar 29th, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post

True but the officer has no right nor law to protect him from putting his hands on the person at any time if there is not a viable threat.

At any point in time the officer could have stepped back, also and i would appreciate Aron's backup on this the officer wasn't standing in a position to be ready to ward off any sort of attack. Most officers i have encountered do not stand with both of their feet together facing directly towards the person they are dealing with. They always have there hip containing there holster rotated away from reaching distance to the perp and there feet are positioned one in front of the other in the event they are pushed or someone tries to reach for there gun.

I know that they are trained to stand that way this officer Either A. felt comfortable or B. was a noob, doesn't know what the fuck he is doing, and let someone who was obviously questioning his motives get to him.

My GUESS: As usual, drunk students are FUCKING MOUTHY and DO NOT KNOW when to shut the fuck up. If I was a cop at CU or CSU I'd pull my hair out, it would require 200% of normal human being's patience to NOT kick those idiots around.

Sorry, but I've been a bouncer at several college bars in Boulder, way back in the day, I have total sympathy for 90% of cops in that role, it's gotta suck. And students think they can get away with murder, seriously. In the few times I've seen a cop react like the one in the video, IMO, it was well warranted because apparently even if you're a legal adult (18+) you still are a complete moron and can't follow regular English directions and love to push your luck being mouthy to law enforcement.

I know there are many bad apples, especially with Denver PD beating up people caught on many videos, but sometimes I think drunken students (and drunken downtown/Lodo's idiots) DESERVE getting handcuffed. Just my OPINION, after many years of being firsthand witness to MANY of these exact same situations. Including CSU, helicopters, teargas, etc.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu Mar 29th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    My GUESS: As usual, drunk students are FUCKING MOUTHY and DO NOT KNOW when to shut the fuck up. If I was a cop at CU or CSU I'd pull my hair out, it would require 200% of normal human being's patience to NOT kick those idiots around.

Sorry, but I've been a bouncer at several college bars in Boulder, way back in the day, I have total sympathy for 90% of cops in that role, it's gotta suck. And students think they can get away with murder, seriously. In the few times I've seen a cop react like the one in the video, IMO, it was well warranted because apparently even if you're a legal adult (18+) you still are a complete moron and can't follow regular English directions and love to push your luck being mouthy to law enforcement.

I know there are many bad apples, especially with Denver PD beating up people caught on many videos, but sometimes I think drunken students (and drunken downtown/Lodo's idiots) DESERVE getting handcuffed. Just my OPINION, after many years of being firsthand witness to MANY of these exact same situations. Including CSU, helicopters, teargas, etc.

They can handcuff them for safety reasons and security with no penalty or issue but they cannot push or shove them.

What if the drunken idiot had lost his footing and slammed his head on the ground?

I get where you are coming from but the fact of the matter is the officer did not handle this the way he should have.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    They can handcuff them for safety reasons and security with no penalty or issue but they cannot push or shove them.

What if the drunken idiot had lost his footing and slammed his head on the ground?

I get where you are coming from but the fact of the matter is the officer did not handle this the way he should have.
    I agree, but I see why he lost his cool, IF he indeed has already been telling this guy to back the fuck up repeatedly. Legally yes, he should've done what you said.

Dealing with drunks, especially student-age, requires the patience of a saint, it's tough. Hopefully the officer just gets a talking-to, not made a big deal out of. The guy wasn't hurt anyway.

Common sense has been trumped by people's perception of what they are allowed to do.

If this person had not been a cop and the guy was getting in his face and got shoved, he deserves it. But because he is a cop and they "know" he can't react how a man instinctively wants to, this guy pushes his luck and it's "brutality." take responsibility for your actions... If someone was getting in his face like that he'd have done the same thing. That little shove was nothing, grow a pair ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Common sense has been trumped by people's perception of what they are allowed to do.

If this person had not been a cop and the guy was getting in his face and got shoved, he deserves it. But because he is a cop and they "know" he can't react how a man instinctively wants to, this guy pushes his luck and it's "brutality." take responsibility for your actions... If someone was getting in his face like that he'd have done the same thing. That little shove was nothing, grow a pair ffs.
    Hey now... don't go sullying the waters of armchair lawyering and chest beating with your logic and reason!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

+1, Awesome post, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Guess what? If you can't do that job without ASSAULTING people for no justified reason, then your shouldn't be a police officer.
    He just shoved the dude, it wasn't a damn RodneyKing beating, LMAO!
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu Mar 29th, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Right, but he's a cop and there are certain things he can't do while on the job. Just because a college kid might be testing his patience doesn't mean he can do something like that. If he can't handle some dipshit college kid, or even a dozen, he shouldn't be a cop.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Right, but he's a cop and there are certain things he can't do while on the job. Just because a college kid might be testing his patience doesn't mean he can do something like that. If he can't handle some dipshit college kid, or even a dozen, he shouldn't be a cop.
    This, kind of the point i was trying to make.

I see it as the kid was drunk and testing the patience of the police. Cop says get back, kid doesn't take it seriously, so cop makes it serious.

The part that got out of hand is when the other cop turns to see the kid get shoved and goes immediately into arrest mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Guess what? If you can't do that job without ASSAULTING people for no justified reason, then your shouldn't a) be a police officer or b) in Ft. Collins.

Unless additional details come out as to why, both officers deserve a non-paid reprimand IMO.

Also, I submitted this story to every major news outlet a day or two ago when they ran a piece on it.
    They're human. I guess you've never lost your cool at work? It's pretty obvious that there was a reason. The punk college kid didn't listen.

This is weakest example of police brutality I've ever seen.

They're human. I guess you've never lost your cool at work? It's pretty obvious that there was a reason. The punk college kid didn't listen.

I wouldn't call this police brutality that is a little over dramatic.

That still doesn't justify his actions. Sure, people lose their cool, but being a cop isn't just like any other job. You might be able to get away with losing your cool at some desk job, but this guy should not be losing his cool because someone is in his face. He is a COP, this shit is bound to happen when you are a COP.

This definitely isn't an example of police brutality and I didn't post it as one. Like I said, I respect law enforcement and generally believe there are just a few bad apples out there. However, after being up in Fort Collins for 3 years, I noticed the Fort Collins PD doing some shady shit.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

No one would even care if the cop instead just pushed the guy away slowly, which is what he should've done. Instead he did lose his cool and made a snap-move that looks worse than it is.

I'm curious if anything actually comes of this, hope not. What he did was ridiculously miniscule in importance.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Thu Mar 29th, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

You're right, he should have just bottled it up some more and pent up all that energy for the next drunken dipshit to whip out the tazer and repeatedly squeeze the button while saying calmly "stop resisting or I will be forced to taze you again" because he was tired of having his patience tested.

Was it out of line? Yes.

Was it that bad? No.

Should he be reprimanded? Sure, I would think a verbal warning/counseling and additional training (on our dime, just like the drunken students education that he is obviously putting to great use).