Thread: R6 oil change

R6 oil change

ok, time for me to learn how to work on this bad boy. Does anybody with an R6 have any recommendations of which oil and filter to use and where to get it?? Thanks for any help!

play on playas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Re: R6 oil change

Quote Originally Posted by Scer
    ok, time for me to learn how to work on this bad boy. Does anybody with an R6 have any recommendations of which oil and filter to use and where to get it?? Thanks for any help!

play on playas
    Wal-Mart carries Fram oil filters for the R1s and R6s. I get semi-synthetic Yamalube direct from a dealer.

Dan
    Dan

'00 R1

Wal-mart!?! that's surprising. I will have to go get one tonight. Thanks for the help dan.

970.SOL.TIRE

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    I read a review on oil filters a while back, and if I recall Fram were the absolute worst, I wouldn't trust them on my bike.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I get filters and oil from Performance. After a few thousand miles I switched to Silkolene pro (or something like that) fully synthetic.

I wouldn't use the Fram filters. A google search should turn up discussions about this.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Fram is SHIT. CRAP. EEEEEVIL.

Use OEM filters, they're great on bikes. Or a trusted aftermarket brand like K&N.

As for oil, get the best stuff you can afford. Go to performance and ask them, they can make recommendations based on your intended use. I'm running Silkolene in mine and love it, I use the race oil but the pro (street) stuff works well too.

Bob you sure the pro is fully syn? I thought it was a semi-syn blend and the race oil was their fully synthetic. Or maybe the oil weight is the major difference (pro is 10W40, race is 20W50 for the higher temps).

ok, maybe I am not going to wal-mart tonight. What is this performance place that you guys are talking about? Forgive my stupidity but I only got into town a couple of months ago, and what weight oil do you guys use. I heard 20w-50 is best?

970.SOL.TIRE

Performance Cycle, off Broadway one block north of Evans.

And 20W50 will be too light for you, unless you ride on the track. For street, especially this time of year, go with 10W40.

amsoil and and find a honda filter that fits the R6( I'm biased there) ... I'd use a yamaha filter or a good aftermarket one! don't use FRAM.

as far as vicosity, stick with what the manufacturer recomends, I think its 10w40, the R6 is watter cooled, it doesn't get that hot to warrant 20w50... but then again I use 5w50 in my truck ... lol

-al
    CSBA #410 CO chapter officer
    RC51 (the faster scratched up one)
    hozerking.blogspot.com

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Glad to see most people know Fram sucks the big whatootoo

It's newspaper stuffed into a tin can
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

hey guys I work for the largest filtration company in the world

when you need filters go get a good one

I work for WIX Corp. which is owned by DANA corp. Of course I am partial to our filters which are sold at CARQUEST

I believe the part # is 85358 but don't quote me just take the OE # and have them cross it over if they can't for some reason tell them the # above and see if it is right.

I have been to years of school on filters believe it or not and there is a huge difference. The WIX is probably twice as good as what the OE is using if it is not a WIX. when it comes to the OE guys it's all about saving pennies. If they save a few pennies on several parts they make more dollars on each bike. this is why they are in buisness. None of the OE guys are in the filter buisness. They all buy them form someone. It would disgust you to know how some of the manufacturers save money. Anyway I am ranting so go buy a WIX and keep it clean.

If you have any quesions you can call me at 303-880-4539

I also don't believe in synthetics a whole lot. From our testing they don't really do what tey say they do. They last alittle longer if thats what you are after but they don't provide any extra protection. This is all coming from the testing we have done anyway. There is new stuff coming out all the time, but I haven't seen any new information about new synthetics doing any better.

call me if you have any questions. I talk about filters and lubrication every day for a living.

sorry if I rambled
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Enjoy trying to get the filter off! The way Yam put it on the left side makes it a bitch to remove. That's why I now use a K&N filter because it has the nut on top, they are a little pricey though. I run Silkolene Pro 4 full syn in mine. I think last months SportRider had a comparo on oils. When I change my oil I also loosen up the oil cooler in the front (it's the round thing with a big nut) just to get out all of the old oil.
    If God told me I was going to die riding a motorcycle, I'd still ride.
    If he told me I was going to die in my sleep, I'd become an insomniac.

'02 YZF-R6

hey guys another thing just to make you go hmmmm

K&N does not make their own oil filters. They buy them froma company called champion labratories in YORK SC it is the same co that makes champ filters and a lot of private label filters like valvoline and motorcraft.

In other words K&N oil filters are not very good. They ride on the reputation of their air filters. They have great commercials though. Its too bad the commercial doesn't help clean the oil

anyway, just letting you know

and yes I can prove it
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty
    I read a review on oil filters a while back, and if I recall Fram were the absolute worst, I wouldn't trust them on my bike.
    'Kay, I guess I'll throw out the one I bought based on all of the comments here. Sorry Scer, didn't mean to steer you wrong.

See, I learn something new here from you guys every day.

Dan
    Dan

'00 R1

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    Bob you sure the pro is fully syn? I thought it was a semi-syn blend and the race oil was their fully synthetic. Or maybe the oil weight is the major difference (pro is 10W40, race is 20W50 for the higher temps).
    Alright ya bastige, when I posted, I was too lazy to get up off my fat ass, go upstairs & out to the garage & check. Now, I'm still too lazy to do it, but just to shut yo skinny ass up, I done did it anyway! :P

I'm running Silkolene Pro 4 15W 50 Race (fully Synthetic) . This was recommended to my be Bernie herself.

Quote Originally Posted by CSUAdam
    I now use a K&N filter because it has the nut on top
    For a few bucks you can get a 3/8" wratched attachment which fits over the top of the filter and unscrews it. I tried an oil filter wrench, but there's not enough room on the R1 to get it around the filter (I tried cutting it, but that just f**ked it up and made things worse). I finally broke down and bought the right tool for the job.

A discussion on oil filters...

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oilfilter.htm

and one on oil...

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Stay away from Fram for a motorcycle filter.

Hey Dan, no problems man. As long as we learn what's best for the bike then it's worth it!

ok, so what I have so far is use 10w40 since the weather is getting colder. When it gets warm again I should go back to 20w50. I think I will use synthetic in both cases. also, to go to carquest and find a Wix filter but if I can't then the article that I just read above says that a bosch automobile filter should work great as long as I can "cross-size" it.

Also, to get the 3/8" attachment cause R6's filter spot sucks a$$.

oh yeah, and Fram filters is just toliet paper. got it

970.SOL.TIRE