Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is F'd up - Grade school teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over FB pwd

Re: This is F'd up

+1 it's not just about FB. It's allowing the electronic stalking of your life. (.. or allowing MORE stalking)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Well on the flip side a employeer doesn't have to hire you if they don't want to. If people think their FB is more important than a job, then go with it and give them your

I'll be the guy that takes YOUR job since I don't have a FB
    So, you'd be ok with a prospective employer having access to your bank account, credit cards, and email?

They'll want account numbers and passwords, plus the ability to install keylogger software on your home computer, and access to your voicemail and texts. Also a GPS tracker on your ankle so that they know if you spend time in bars or visit any "questionable" establishments. All of this BEFORE they decide whether or not to hire you.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    Facebook isn't the issue here, it's simply a symptom of the erosion of privacy rights. Just like there are laws already in place to protect people from discrimination on the basis of gender, health, marital status, race, etc... Would you like to be discriminated against because of personal choices you made, like having a family, or for some medical condition outside your control? Employment is me exchanging services with a company in return for money. It doesn't give them the right to control or dictate things unrelated to the services I offer.
    Cool, explain that in the job interview and see how far it gets you then

Why do people think life is fair! Breaking news: IT IS NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    So, you'd be ok with a prospective employer having access to your bank account, credit cards, and email?

They'll want account numbers and passwords, plus the ability to install keylogger software on your home computer, and access to your voicemail and texts. Also a GPS tracker on your ankle so that they know if you spend time in bars or visit any "questionable" establishments. All of this BEFORE they decide whether or not to hire you.
    Maybe...if I needed the job bad enough. All that stuff is pointless without money! Although that is a bit far fetched when compared to a lame social networking site password....especially when you can easily create a dummy one.

I am just saying, just like we don't have to ride motorcycles, you do not have to have a FB account. I don't agree with it, but there are many things in life I have to deal with that I don't agree with.

P.S. Didn't we already have this same thread.....people care about FB nowadays way too much! More people need to get off their asses and maybe work on their fitness since that actually matters in life!
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Prospective employer: Sir, we need your password to your Facebook Account and to your private email account before we can hire you.

N_N: Certainly! It is written down on a piece of paper in this envelope!

(The envelope is actually loaded with Anthrax)
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Self employed = problem solved.

Well.. least until clients / customers start asking for FB.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Missing the point x 1,000,000
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Missing the point x 1,000,000
    Probably, but a bunch of grown men bitching about their FB account is funny to me.

Yes I get it is about privacy, but it is a right to work at a place not a priveledge...you can always walk away and be self employed like asp_125.

Maybe...if I needed the job bad enough. All that stuff is pointless without money! Although that is a bit far fetched when compared to a lame social networking site password....especially when you can easily create a dummy one.

I am just saying, just like we don't have to ride motorcycles, you do not have to have a FB account. I don't agree with it, but there are many things in life I have to deal with that I don't agree with.

P.S. Didn't we already have this same thread.....people care about FB nowadays way too much! More people need to get off their asses and maybe work on their fitness since that actually matters in life!
    I wouldn't care how far it got me, I wouldn't work for a company that crapped all over it's employees like that. If that's how they treat people they want to work for them, how do you imagine they treat their employees.

Life may not be fair, but anti-discrimination and privacy laws exist to make it a little fairer. I wouldn't say it's at all far fetched compared to your bank account. It's information you want to keep private that they want, just like access to your bank account. It doesn't matter what the information is, it's the fact that I don't want other people knowing it that's important.

There actually was a recent court case regarding computer passwords.

https://www.eff.org/cases/us-v-fricosu
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...tion/231001831

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    I wouldn't care how far it got me, I wouldn't work for a company that crapped all over it's employees like that. If that's how they treat people they want to work for them, how do you imagine they treat their employees.
    Cool, sad thing is, with this economy there will be ten people behind you that would and get the job. Hopefully your beliefs will not result in you and your family homeless...

If someone is not smart enough to create a fake account for this reason, maybe they are not smart enough to get the job. It's so simple!!!!!

Hell I'd use it to my advantage and have charity groups, slogans on hard working, lovely pictures of my beloved mom, dog/cat shelter rescue adotions, etc! Only idiots are effected by this if they can't see the easy way around it!
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 at 03:25 PM.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Probably, but a bunch of grown men bitching about their FB account is funny to me.

Yes I get it is about privacy, but it is a right to work at a place not a priveledge...you can always walk away and be self employed like asp_125.
    By that logic you also then feel laws preventing discrimination against potential employees are useless, and people who get screwed because of their skin color, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc should just go fuck themselves and become self employed? Right? That's what you're saying. That's the kind of stuff someone is going to learn about you from your FB profile. I get that employers want to catch a screw-up before it's too late, but the method is egregiously flawed.

The right to a fair shake at a job IS A RIGHT. It's legally guaranteed. If you're an idiot and can't get hired that's on you, but you should not lose your shot just because someone doesn't like what you are. Employment and advancement opportunity should be based on normal things like merit, work ethic, and size of boobs.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

If someone is not smart enough to create a fake account for this reason, maybe they are not smart enough to get the job. It's so simple!!!!!
    So in order to get a real shot at a job, people should have to create fraudulent identities just to deceive an employer? What you see as smart, I see as "grounds for termination when the employer finds out".

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    By that logic you also then feel laws preventing discrimination against potential employees are useless, and people who get screwed because of their skin color, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc should just go fuck themselves and become self employed? Right? That's what you're saying. That's the kind of stuff someone is going to learn about you from your FB profile. I get that employers want to catch a screw-up before it's too late, but the method is egregiously flawed.

The right to a fair shake at a job IS A RIGHT. It's legally guaranteed. If you're an idiot and can't get hired that's on you, but you should not lose your shot just because someone doesn't like what you are. Employment and advancement opportunity should be based on normal things like merit, work ethic, and size of boobs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

So in order to get a real shot at a job, people should have to create fraudulent identities just to deceive an employer? What you see as smart, I see as "grounds for termination when the employer finds out".

Oh yeah, and did they specify ALL FB accounts? If not then it is not lying, you gave them one, but they never asked for others
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

What is at stake here is the right to have a life separate from your work. Employers are slowly but surely taking control of their employee's entire life, whether they are paying them for that "off" time or not. What happens when your employer decides that your riding of motorcycles, not during working hours, or even as transportation to or from work, reflects badly on the image of the company, and fires you for it? Or that because someone saw you drinking a beer after work that you are not "morally fit" to retain your employment? In Colorado, they can fire you for any of these reasons, or none at all.

In addition, most employers do not use adequate security measures to protect against loss of this type of data. I'm not planning on ever being in the position of applying for outside employment again (self employed for over 15 years), but I would NEVER hand over passwords that could facilitate identity theft to a prospective employer, even if they could prove to me that they had data security provisions in place.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Cool, sad thing is, with this economy there will be ten people behind you that would and get the job. Hopefully your beliefs will not result in you and your family homeless...

Hell I'd use it to my advantage and have charity groups, slogans on hard working, lovely pictures of my beloved mom, dog/cat shelter rescue adotions, etc! Only idiots are effected by this if they can't see the easy way around it!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

If I owned a company, I wouldn't hire anyone who would willing provide their password. If they're willing to give away their own secrets, how could I trust them to protect the companies? Additionally, as Ralph mentioned, lying to an employer during the hiring process is grounds for termination.

My Space is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Exatly how I feel when I see your slogan under your name "Jenny's Pet Monkey"

P.S. Are people missing where I said I do not think it is fair either!!!!!
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

We GET that it's not fair. But lubing up and bending over for the corporation isn't the solution either.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

P.S. Are people missing where I said I do not think it is fair either!!!!!
    Apparently we are, yes. You think it's unfair, but appropriate to do an end-run around anti-discrimination employment laws?

I don't see what life being fair has to do with this either. It isn't about that. It's about preventing the kind of rampant abuse that caused those laws to be made in the first place. Our country is pretty famous for fucking over different people, as it happens.

than sincere ignorance

Well guys stop bitching about it on a forum then and do something productive about it then...not sure what else to say

I've learned to take it from corporations most of my life since that is where I work and wish I could changed things, but I just bend over to keep my job. I could make a list pages long of how I don't like how corporations are run or how they treat their employees...including illegal things I see. I am not independently wealthy though, so my ass has been hurting for a long time

Here I will help! So far only 49 signatures on this petition. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/145/9...ta&udata=false
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 at 04:03 PM.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Can't you 2 hispani-tinos just get along? Sheesh......

Oops! Thought that was Barn busting your ballz again for some reason. Not enough coffee. sorry. Carry on....
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Wed Apr 4th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

personally ,, access to your fb should be granted to a company,, only after 90 days of hire, for review purposes .. you then have the job and hopefully nothing on your prelim record .. and you then have plenty of opportunity to build one that's suitable..
    however .. you shouldn't have to ..
    it is discrimination both for and against you.. like in the article ..

it references an individual in charge's personal judgement over what is wrong and right over someone else's ideas and value.. subsiding corporate standards used traditionally to hire an individual ..

essentially this claws at the companies overall global view and social position and it's affiliations ..

whether you directly choose to associate yourself with all of it's views or not is 99 percent irrelevant..
    you want to surpass the economy by working,pay your past bills off
    being wiling to provide a credit report.. also affects you financially..
    anytime a credit report is pulled ,, affects your ability to acquire additional credit and loans ,, therefor a potential employer who does pull your credit report and does not hire you , has negatively affect your income potential , which without your direct permission, puts you in a lessened standard again over that someone who has had different or better opportunities in their life, (parents had money, and paid all that persons bills including college )
    let me repeat ,, without your permission
    if you do say no,, their own corporate policy dictates that you be removed to a different category of candidates,, this category is normally not reviewed further,, by it's definition.. candidates are determined to be uncooperative and therefor, not what the company is looking for

as soon we as potential employees will come up with an agreement,
    dispensable to potential employers, that upon it's receipt,
    will indemnify potential employers against causing potential employers to cause hazard by cause and completing the liability the employer by their actions accrued, during the course of their review or investigation, we will see a reversion to a more time honored hiring practice or more subversive methodology to the intrusion of privacy that we , by law are already recognized as having
    - The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.- Thomas Jefferson -
    -- HONESTY BEFORE SYMPATHY
    -- NEVER LET ANYONE LIVE RENT FREE IN YOUR HEAD, RENT WILL ALWAYS COST YOU SOMETHING -W.H.HEITZ
    --THE TRUTH WILL EITHER HURT YOU OR HEAL YOU,BUT REGARDLESS, IT'S THE TRUTH
    -- THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS, IT MAY BE DRAWN THIN, WIDE, LOOSE OR TAUGHT, BUT IT'S WHETHER YOU THINK OF IT AS A TIGHTROPE OR HOW YOU PLAY HOPSCOTCH ON IT
    - J.A. WRIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Can't you 2 hispani-tinos just get along? Sheesh......
    WTF...Ralph is Hispanic...new news to me

Hmmmm...still only 49 signatures on that petition. Safe to say we all like to bitch more than take action