Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bible, Christianity, and Homosexuality

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

The Bible, Christianity, and Homosexuality

He did over a year's worth of research to present this speech and had the courage to present it in front of a Methodist Church. His courage is enormous and his position is well thought out and presented. I actually changed my beliefs which is rare.

http://matthewvines.tumblr.com/
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Re: The Bible, Christianity, and Homosexuality

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    He did over a year's worth of research to present this speech and had the courage to present it in front of a Methodist Church. His courage is enormous and his position is well thought out and presented. I actually changed my beliefs which is rare.

http://matthewvines.tumblr.com/
    Well, I don't subscribe to any religion, and have no issue with gay people, but I guess if you live by and interpret the bible literally, I see the point where certain religions are against gay marriage and gays in general. I don't feel these churches should be FORCED by the gov't to perform or recognize gay marriage, but think that certain other churches will spring up that will.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I've been a Christian all my life and though I abide by this, I don't judge people that choose that path nor I tell them about my beliefs. As long as they respect mine, i'll respect theirs, simple as that.

Gold Member

I could really care less about gay relationships. If they want to get married it shouldn't be up to anyone but them. Fuck the god hates gays crowed.

Wow, I'm sure it had to be rough growing up gay in a traditional Wichita Christian family. Props to this guy's bravery.

Normally I'm a "Live and let live" type guy, BUT in the case of the mega-douchebag Westboro Baptist Church, they definitely need to DIAF! If you don't know who they are, Google. They like to protest at soldiers funerals and say it's "God's will" that soldiers get killed. Same with gays.

P.S. People who think gay can be "cured" are living in a fantasy world devoid of scientific reason, imo. That NewLife mega pastor down in the Springs caught with a male hooker is a prime example, hahaa.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Fri Apr 6th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I've been a Christian all my life and though I abide by this, I don't judge people that choose that path nor I tell them about my beliefs. As long as they respect mine, i'll respect theirs, simple as that.
    So its safe to say your not the one coming to my door and trying to change my beliefs!!!!

Those are the ONLY religious people I HATE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    P.S. People who think gay can be "cured" are living in a fantasy world devoid of scientific reason.
    You recognize the humor in this, right?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    So its safe to say your not the one coming to my door and trying to change my beliefs!!!!

Those are the ONLY religious people I HATE.
    I will share about it only if people are interested or curious and as long as they dont mock me but I don't force it upon anyone. I've had interesting and civil conversation with friends of other religions and stuff, just to learn about each other is cool, doesn't mean we stopped believing in what we each do and no hatred. Have had few friends and even strangers that turned to Christianity and their lives have improved dramatically (drug use, abuse of all kind, alcoholics, etc), whether it was me or someone else I'm glad it's for their well being and benefit. I will believe in God for as long as I live and I know there's more at work than what meets the eye... call me crazy but personal experiences is proof lol

I'm confused, do you go to peoples doors then!!!

All I read was blah blah blah I'm religious, blah blah blah I eat babies

LOL

Confused about what? Pretty self explanatory first sentence... but i'll just please you and tell you what you want to hear and bash away if you must, I am a Jesus loving, bible hugging, honk if you love Jesus type person and not ashamed of it... and no worries on the door knocking lol
    Last edited by madvlad; Fri Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Confused about what? Pretty self explanatory first sentence... but i'll just please you and tell you what you want to hear and bash away if you must, I am a Jesus loving, bible hugging, honk if you love Jesus type person and not ashamed of it... and no worries on the door knocking lol
    Don't waste your time MadVlad. It took me a very long time to just forget trying to talk religion on this forum. With the constant ridicule, mocking, bashing, etc etc, that always came with discussions. Though I'm not without blame as well, there were times when animosity was reciprocated as well. But that was a long time ago. There's no point in trying to have a intelligent conversation with people when they automatically assume that since you're religious, you're obviously stupid. I, personally don't look at the other side in this light but it does get old when they assume the worst of you.

Personally, I'm burnt out trying to witness or explain God/Religion to people. I'm sure it will be my downfall but I figure it's time for someone else to pick up where I've left off. Anymore, I just want to be left alone to live my life. I follow Jesus, try to live as best a Christian life as possible, though I have my stumble moments. But I really couldn't care less if other people find Jesus. I hate saying that, but that's where I'm at in life sometimes. I figure, if people are going to call me stupid for believing in God, then when the time comes and they actually do want to know about him, they can go pick up the Bible and read it for themselves and figure it out.

It troubles my soul deeply, but I'm to the point of not caring anymore. I'll never lose faith in Jesus but I've lost it in Man...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Don't waste your time MadVlad. It took me a very long time to just forget trying to talk religion on this forum. With the constant ridicule, mocking, bashing, etc etc, that always came with discussions. Though I'm not without blame as well, there were times when animosity was reciprocated as well. But that was a long time ago. There's no point in trying to have a intelligent conversation with people when they automatically assume that since you're religious, you're obviously stupid. I, personally don't look at the other side in this light but it does get old when they assume the worst of you.

Personally, I'm burnt out trying to witness or explain God/Religion to people. I'm sure it will be my downfall but I figure it's time for someone else to pick up where I've left off. Anymore, I just want to be left alone to live my life. I follow Jesus, try to live as best a Christian life as possible, though I have my stumble moments. But I really couldn't care less if other people find Jesus. I hate saying that, but that's where I'm at in life sometimes. I figure, if people are going to call me stupid for believing in God, then when the time comes and they actually do want to know about him, they can go pick up the Bible and read it for themselves and figure it out.

It troubles my soul deeply, but I'm to the point of not caring anymore. I'll never lose faith in Jesus but I've lost it in Man...
    Know the feeling, though I know we should speak of the word, I just figured if God doesn't mess with freewill then why should I? But then they may hear or read this type of reaction and say "well, wow what type of selfish Christian are you?"... well the same "selfish" one that you disregard and judge more than life day by day. To each its own, the view of Christianity and its practice is ridiculously skewed and just altered so churches that are more businesses have a lot to do with being at fault with this and also the fact that society is more and more accepting of the wrong each day. At this rate, killing, raping, kidnapping will be as normal as the morning drive... oh no wait, it already is due to the world being OK with it. I'm not a follow the crowd and go with the flow type person, I will stand by what I believe forever even if it cost me my life/freedom which I am sure soon enough that'll be the case as each day more and more judging is coming down on Christians and it'll become persecution.

Senior Member Moderator

I'm a member of the LDS church and served a two year mission which, at times, included knocking on doors. I can't speak for every missionary from my church, but if a person didn't want to hear what I had to say I didn't take it personally, I simply moved on. My desire was to help people if they wanted it. Personally, I never approached people with the perspective that they need to hear what I'm sharing. Sadly, I did know some missionaries that could be overbearing and pushy. If you encountered missionaries like that, I can only apologize.

It is my opinion that trying to sell religion like a Kirby Vacuum salesman is a good way to piss people off. Even though I don't think I approached people that way, I still got to experience their anger first-hand. Believe me, I've had beer bottles and rocks thrown at me, dogs sicced on me, I've been spit upon, chased off, cursed at, etc. by people that didn't know me personally, but took offense simply because I knocked on their door or was walking in their neighborhood.

It's baffling to me that a person would seethe with hatred for any person who, from their perspective, has found something which made an improvement in their life and wants to share it with others in the hope that it may improve their life as well. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with their methods, but to hate them without knowing them? That's the very definition of bigotry.
    Last edited by Drano; Sat Apr 7th, 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    I'm a member of the LDS church and served a two year mission which, at times, included knocking on doors. I can't speak for every missionary from my church, but if a person didn't want to hear what I had to say I didn't take it personally, I simply moved on. My desire was to help people if they wanted it. Personally, I never approached people with the perspective that they need to hear what I'm sharing. Sadly, I did know some missionaries that could be overbearing and pushy. If you encountered missionaries like that, I can only apologize.

It is my opinion that trying to sell religion like a Kirby Vacuum salesman is a good way to piss people off. Even though I don't think I approached people that way, I still got to experience their anger first-hand. Believe me, I've had beer bottles and rocks thrown at me, dogs sicced on me, I've been spit upon, chased off, cursed at, etc. by people that didn't know me personally, but took offense simply because I knocked on their door or was walking in their neighborhood.

It's baffling to me that a person would seethe with hatred for any person who, from their perspective, has found something which made an improvement in their life and wants to share it with others in the hope that it may improve their life as well. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with their methods, but to hate them without knowing them? That's the very definition of bigotry.

Keep in mind that a lot of times it's because it seems as if the LDS church (and others mind you) are trying to force their religion on us by going door to door, and asking to share their beliefs with us. I'm sure you're just trying to help from your perspective, but it gets irritating to be doing something (like sleeping when working an overnight shift) then have to answer the door just to hear someone telling you something you've already heard.

I have plenty of experience in this myself, as there is a LDS and a Jehovah's Witness Temple within 2 miles of my house, and every summer I get at LEAST 10 people from each religion knocking on the door or trying to talk to me when I'm just out taking my dog for a walk.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Keep in mind that a lot of times it's because it seems as if the LDS church (and others mind you) are trying to force their religion on us by going door to door, and asking to share their beliefs with us. I'm sure you're just trying to help from your perspective, but it gets irritating to be doing something (like sleeping when working an overnight shift) then have to answer the door just to hear someone telling you something you've already heard.

I have plenty of experience in this myself, as there is a LDS and a Jehovah's Witness Temple within 2 miles of my house, and every summer I get at LEAST 10 people from each religion knocking on the door or trying to talk to me when I'm just out taking my dog for a walk.
    I express my sympathy to you that you have had to endure that. For the most part, missionaries should be keeping track of addresses that have expressed disinterest in hearing what they have to say. They may check back in a year or so, but they should leave you in peace. Sadly, some missionaries can be less diligent in keeping accurate records.

Interesting factoid, I served my mission from 1998-2000 and even back then, one of the least effective methods, statistically, for finding people interested in discussing with missionaries was approaching them door-to-door or on the street. In some places the missionaries are prohibited by the church to do so. It's generally understood that missionaries can find something more useful to do with their time than spend it going door-to-door. Most missionaries would much rather be speaking to a person that has approached them than the opposite. They are, however, encouraged to speak to anyone they encounter if they are not otherwise occupied.

It's my opinion that going door-to-door is an outdated practice. Today, if a person wants to know something, they can look it up online. I think the day will soon come that the only time you will have Mormon missionaries knocking on your door is if you personally requested that they come by.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

For those of you that haven't been to my house for one of my meetups or parties, there are three topics of conversation I generally don't allow because of how heated they get: Politics, Religion, and to a lesser degree non-motorcycle related sports. I don't talk about what I believe unless directly asked because well, my relationship with the deity of my choice is no one's business but my own, and other people's are theirs.

There are some residual beliefs that were left over from a very strict religious upbringing and this article challenged one of those beliefs, showed me a different viewpoint that is more in line with my other adult beliefs about God and changed the way I believe. That doesn't happen very often.

Everyone gets to post their political threads, and sports threads and funny threads. This was the one, and probably only time you will ever see me post something about religion, but I felt strongly enough about his, and now my, viewpoint that I felt it needed to be shared. I even sent it to my mother and I'm sure the fallout from that will make the stuff on this forum look like child's play lol. Thanks for listening :-)
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

I just figured if God doesn't mess with freewill then why should I?
    Fail.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    For those of you that haven't been to my house for one of my meetups or parties, there are three topics of conversation I generally don't allow because of how heated they get: Politics, Religion, and to a lesser degree non-motorcycle related sports. I don't talk about what I believe unless directly asked because well, my relationship with the deity of my choice is no one's business but my own, and other people's are theirs.

There are some residual beliefs that were left over from a very strict religious upbringing and this article challenged one of those beliefs, showed me a different viewpoint that is more in line with my other adult beliefs about God and changed the way I believe. That doesn't happen very often.

Everyone gets to post their political threads, and sports threads and funny threads. This was the one, and probably only time you will ever see me post something about religion, but I felt strongly enough about his, and now my, viewpoint that I felt it needed to be shared. I even sent it to my mother and I'm sure the fallout from that will make the stuff on this forum look like child's play lol. Thanks for listening :-)
    On the topic of what the young man presented. I'm still going to have to respectfully disagree with him. Because for me, I've found way more than six verses that deal with the immorality of what he was speaking. And while he did spend a good deal of time, he didn't spend enough.

For lack of a better term, I could blast his argument to pieces just using Biblical scriptures. He talks about traditionalist taking things out of context. I watched the entire 1 hour and 7 minutes of his video and to me, he took several verses way out of context. But what he really needs to do, is take a Bible and a Strong's Concordance and seriously take the time to sit down and cross reference a lot of what he is trying to say.

And the only reason I'm saying he sound do this, is because I did it in my church school growing up. We covered many many issues that the Bible speaks of, not just homosexuality. We cross referenced the Sabbath, Dietary Laws, Sacrificial Laws, Trinity/Godhead, Second Coming and etc. etc(the list really is too long). And maybe it's a little easier for me to find things within the Bible, because from my earliest memories I remember being in church school, in church and/or reading the Bible. I was born a Seventh-day Adventist and it had been the only source of my education when I grew up.

And I'm not picking on the young man, I know what he's trying to get across and what he's trying to say. Ultimately I believe it's between him and God. I know he's trying to justify his position and what he believes he's been born with. You know, that's where I can't agree with the young man, I don't believe he was born that way and until the day I die, I believe it's a lifestyle choice. Because of my 25+ years of reading the Bible tells me it is.

I know it's a delicate subject and I really feel bad for the young man in the video. I can see he's still searching for some answers. I hope he finds them. Like I say, I'm glad it's between him and God, because ultimately that's where it ends for all of us. Between us and God and no one else. Christ makes the final call on everything in life.

My personal opinion, do I believe there will be homosexuals in Heaven?? Yes, some. Do I believe there will be "practicing" homosexuals in Heaven?? No, not a chance. Not according to what the Bible has to say about it, because Sin cannot exist in the presence of God.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I guess you missed that I was joking unless you do really eat babies!!! Now I am worried.

Last edited by modette99; Sat Apr 7th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Ah, religion! The ultimate I.Q. test...

Since we have so many of 'faith' here, I'm going to make you all an excellent offer. I'm the best investment banker in Denver. Give me all of your money and just have faith that I'll make more for you. Since I can prove that I exist, you should have no problem giving me all of your money.

And for those of you that don't believe in me... you're all going to Hell!!!

Barn - As soon as I get a few takers, let's go hit Ameristar!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Oh, well didn't know you were... kind of hard to tell since I've heard that one before and not in a jokingly manner either.

Black knight and Madvlad...two examples that we Christians aren't a bunch of ignorant, unintelligent, stupid-because-we-have-faith (as Kim-n-Dean would suggest), bigoted, "gay-hating" morons.

Are there bad apples in the body of Christ (represented by the Church)? Absolutely. Just as there's bad apples in the motorcycle community, the art community, charitable organizations, community outreaches...and GOOD apples in politics. It's wholeheartedly disingenuous to judge the whole group by the few freaks and retards that happen to go out of their way to make the truth of the matter seem stupid (Westboro Baptist Church in the case of Christianity).

As to homosexuality, as BK pointed out, there are enough biblical scriptures (IN context) that condemn the PRACTICE of homosexuality that to defend homosexuality as being as irrelevant and outdated (or culturally inapplicable) as women not cutting their hair is equally disingenuous and purposely putting blinders on in order to justify one's sin. But the same can also be said of adultery, fornication (sex outside of marriage), drunkenness (not the same as "consuming alcohol"), slanderous speech, et al. Sin is sin.

Now whether you choose to believe there IS sin is entirely up to you as an individual with free will. But one cannot simply pick-and-choose what they like out of the Holy Bible and apply it as they see fit (as one might with makeup or clothing). Are certain things possibly dependent on interpretation? Sure, but these are generally called "parables". But when the Bible clearly states (again, within context as well as understanding of cultures) that something is a sin, it's a sin...AND there's a reason it's a sin. God doesn't just make this crap up because He just really enjoys watching His creation fight and argue and generally suffer. There are serious physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual (whether you believe it or not) implications to every sin that God warns against. It doesn't take a genius or Christian to see the consequences of sinful behavior.

As for sharing one's faith: the Bible warns us (as believers) to not "hide our light under a bushel", that is to not hide our faith or shy away from sharing as though we were embarrassed, ashamed, or fearful of what others might think. This is NOT the same as aggressively aggravating people to the point that they can't stand being around us--I think everyone agrees that this approach is hardly "being an effective witness". In my experience, as well as Jesus' examples, the most effective approach in sharing the truth and LOVE of God and Jesus is to form personal relationships with people, and to live one's life above reproach, all the while giving glory and honor to God in every aspect of one's life. This does NOT mean we are above screwing up (sometimes in a HUGE way). What it means is that I live what I say I believe. As a result, others will see that, and for some a seed will be planted in their lives, perhaps to someday grow into the amazing flower that God intended. My job is to be the best ambassador for Christ that I can be. Maybe that means speaking a word of godly encouragement to someone that's hurting, maybe that means telling someone that they're on a hell-bound path. But the biggest factor in all this is learning to listen to God to know WHEN and to WHOM a particular word should be spoken.

But NOT sharing at all simply because someone might not like it...that's a slippery slope that can go bad either way. Jesus warned us that we would be persecuted for our faith in Him. That's fine when it's genuinely earned without our seeking it. But doing things that we KNOW are not received well (door-to-door approaches, springing on someone on the street...many televangelists) does not qualify as "being persecuted for one's faith"...it's just "being persecuted for being a douche".

And just for the record, MOST Christians do NOT hate homosexuals, or even DISLIKE them. They are people, sinful and selfish just like me. But they are people deserving of love, compassion, kindness, and forgiveness...just like me. The difference is that people who practice homosexuality want their sin to be accepted and justified, tying their behavior to who they are as a person. That simply cannot be. Acceptance as a person, yes. But not acceptance of the sin anymore than adultery can be accepted by the church. This doesn't mean someone should be exorcised from the Church (as certain groups are fond of doing), but it does mean that guidance AWAY from the sinful behavior should be given in love and grace. Whether that guidance and counsel is accepted is entirely on the individual.

But God's love and grace and forgiveness is there for all. It's just that He won't force it on anyone. Just don't blame Him for the consequences suffered should you choose to reject Him. It's like law enforcement: don't blame "The Man" when you get caught breaking the law. It's not their fault you broke the law, it's yours. You may not agree with the law, but to disregard it WILL incur consequences.
    Last edited by Darth Do'Urden; Sat Apr 7th, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Gold Member

I fucking hate people that mess with peoples religious beliefs. Who the Fuck is anyone on this forum to talk down to all for having some sort of faith. I don't do church or any of that. I don't think any one religion is better or worse but if its what helps people get through tough times then so fucking be it. As for making ignorant ass statements like the iq test can take a faithful leap off a tall cliff. Maybe its not gos. Maybe its nothing. Maybe its aliens. Whatever the Fuck it is I hope its better than this pathetic world of hate and anger.

I have a very different view of faith than most people do. I used to be fairly religious. I went weekly to a service, I was the unofficial sign interpreter there for a few of the deaf guys who wanted to go, all of that.
    Now? Not so much. Haven't been to church in years, even though a couple of friends of mine are highly religious. Just not my thing anymore due to what I've seen, what I've experienced, and what my thought processes are like.

To each their own in my book, and as long as you respect it for me, I'll respect it for you. Now for the next couple of missionaries who come knocking at my door, I have a robe, a set of handcuffs to swing around, and a very convincing "Damn, you missionary strippers are getting more and more realistic every month!" to play with!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S