Thread: Pikes Peak Motorsports/HD

Pikes Peak Motorsports/HD

Wtf? I bought a brand new BMW S1000RR from them last week, new 2012 model. I do my negotiating, etc, get the price to a decent point, then I mention BMWs 2012 military discount. They'd never heard of it. I show them the BMW USA website, they make a few phone calls, and figure out my $1000 military incentive discount. An hour or two later they figure out the paperwork, training a new guy to do it on paper. (rebate isn't in their system, had to hand write the paperwork, but whatever I still saved a ton of cash).

Anyway, the whole dealer experience might have thrown me off, I won't go into details but I was less than impressed by their sales tactics, but I did end up with a good price on the new bike so I tolerated it, but today, barely a week later, I bring the bike in for the 600 mile break in service. Everything is supposed to be routine, but I call them about an hour before they close, and after a few minutes on hold I'm told "the 'service' is complete, but there's problem with the ECU and it won't 'reboot' and they can't reprogram it and remove the break-in rev limiter, etc." I'm told the bike 'runs' and I can come get it if I absolutely need it, but it's not running as it should, and they cant get in touch with BMW technical support because it's after hours on a weekend, etc.

So, to me it sounds like they bricked my ECU and can't get my bike out of "limp home" mode, all on a 600 mile break in service. Probably didn't research the fact that the primary change from the '10-'11 S1000RR and the '12 IS the ECU, and it probably doesn't respond the same way with existing equipment, but thats just my own speculation. Being a graduate level IT tech, the first thing that comes to mind is something as simple as a bus speed issue, but I can't confirm this, it's only my own speculation. When you call a "certified' dealer checking on he status of a very much routine service and they tell you "Oh, the service is done but we can't figure out the ECU" it really makes you question things.

Anyway, anybody know a dealer e perienced with '12 BMWs that might be able to do a follow-up inspection for "warranty" purposes or something? Th bike came stock with a 36 mo, 36,000 mi factory warranty, and the fact that a "certified" dealer can't handle a scheduled brek in service really has me worried...
    Last edited by Sarge; Sat Apr 7th, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Re: Pikes Peak Motorsports/HD

Well shit a 600 mile service is supposed to be just oil change and inspection to assure proper mechanical operation, not fuck with your ECU.... I dk, something doesnt add up

Vlad, with these bikes it's not quite that simple. If nothing else there is a factory rev limitor that won't let the bike go above 9000 RPM until a dealer removes the limit at the 600 mile service, and it was at this point that the dealer ran into issues with my bike, for whatever reason. Apparently there was also an ECU update or two that they couldn't figure out as well.
    Last edited by Sarge; Sun Apr 8th, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

I've always had good service at BMW of Denver. The beamer guys at work swear by them. It's also where Aurora PD takes their bikes.

If the bike's still in the break in mode and ride able, it sounds like you need to rescue it... Good luck.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Are you really surprised by the HD dealer who happens to sell BMWs? Look into their history on these boards. Even when they sold Buells they couldn't do a decent service to save their lives.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Vlad, with these bikes it's not quite that simple. If nothing else there is a factory rev limitor that won't let the bike go above 9000 RPM until a dealer removes the limit at the 600 mile service, and it was at this point that the dealer ran into issues with my bike, for whatever reason. Apparently there was also an ECU update or two that they couldn't figure out as well.
    Wow technology based on this one, thats nuts... Guess BMW thought people are too dumb to do a proper break in though its been done the conventional way for ages. Bummer man, sure hope they figure something out and pronto.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

If Salsa likes the BMW of Denver guys, that's a solid endorsement.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Are you really surprised by the HD dealer who happens to sell BMWs? Look into their history on these boards. Even when they sold Buells they couldn't do a decent service to save their lives.
    ...and not just here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769655
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

F me... I paid them $650 for a years worth of unlimited mileage maintainence, but now I'm scared to death they F'ed it up the first minute I gave it back to them. This bike has simply been the greatest thing I've ever ridden, hands down, and the thought of it sitting in that service center has me sick. I looked at that thread you posted salsa, and they actually put drum oil in a brand new GS? Wtf!? Now I'm going to have to verify everything before I pick it up, and thn likely have to tow it somewhere to get it inspected before I ride it anywhere this week, and hope I can get it done before Bandimere on Saturday.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

BMW of Denver for the win. I bought my 800GS a couple years ago from them and couldnt be happier. This was after I got PO'd with the local buffoons.

Some things dont change.....

John

Remember that what you read online is usually the worst of the worst. Most people go in and out of any particular dealership w/o issue. They're out riding, not sitting at home on the computer.

Anyways, wish you the best. That is a beautiful machine. Such a dream to ride.

I would be out riding if all of this hadn't happened. I live in Pueblo now and would have loved to gone on that Bishop's Castle run this morning, and now the weather says nothing but rain and wind the first part of next week. Whatever, I'll probably ride it everyday anyway. I want to put a few hundred more miles on it with the revlimiter off before the drags this weekend.

John, we need to get some of the Southies together for another ride this season. Maybe we can all roll up for the Noob ride again next month.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Let me give you a little inside info on the whole online review issue. First, I know nothing of the BMW shops mentioned so I am saying nothing there. I work in a shop and yes, we do make mistakes. No one is perfect. However for every customer with an issue (which we do try to make right but that is not the point here) there are hundreds who make their purchase or get service done who are satisfied and are just out riding. Now if you look at reviews there are only a few positive reviews for every negative one. If you just look at that you could say 10 - 30% of your customers are unhappy. However the reality is the unhappy are a small fraction of 1%. Happy people just dont post. This has always been an issue in business, the old saying was 'an angry customer will tell 10 people, a happy customer will tell one person' The internet only magnified it.

Here was my experience with Pikes Peak Harley:

I bought a new Aprilia RSV Factory from them back in 2007. I knew the salesman and worked out a pretty good deal. I take the bike home and really loved the bike. The post-break-in service was done fine, and the next required service was around 4500 miles, if I remember correctly, but I had to get some service bulletin stuff done (gasket on the fuel tank, I believe). I call down to the shop and they tell me it should be an "in and out" deal.

I ride down there early in the week (Monday? Tuesday?) around 10am, expecting to hang out for an hour or so, but after three hours and repeated checks at the counter, I'm finally told they haven't even rolled my bike onto a lift. I'm a bit miffed, but I tell them to get it done, expecting to leave my bike there overnight, and get a ride home. The next day comes and goes, so now it's Weds or Thurs, and I don't hear from them. I call down there and am told they still haven't touched my friggin' bike. Apparently, if a Harley rider from a different state is riding through and needs to get his bike serviced, they are automatically bumped to the front of the line, which means my bike will just have to wait. What I didn't know was, because I don't ride a stupid fukcing Harley, my bike would also get pushed back in line behind Springs Harley owners. They kept promising me the bike would "be ready tomorrow", which really means five or six days.

Sarge,

Give a shout, I should likely be in! Would be good to ride with you again. Congrats on the new and sweet whip!!!!

Really though, throw that thing in the truck or trailer it to denver. PPMS SUUUUUUCKS!

John

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Wow technology based on this one, thats nuts... Guess BMW thought people are too dumb to do a proper break in though its been done the conventional way for ages. Bummer man, sure hope they figure something out and pronto.
    Vlad, I really don't think it has to do with BMW thinking people are "too dumb" or whatever. I am an no way attacking you here, but having ridden various other high end supersports, and spending a week on this one, all I can say is "Holy Shit" and thank god that BMW put this rev limiter in, because without it I would have gone waay over, waay to many times, and not purposefully either. Just to put it into perspective, this bike will do 0-60 in first gear in about 3 seconds. What that means is that the RPMs climb faster than you can blink, and because of this and the gearing, ~9000 RPM equals 90 MPH or less in gears 1-4 or so. (Don't quote me, but it will barely hit 50-55 in 1st before the limiter kicks in, and it gets there faster than you can imagine) So, I can't complain about the rev limiter, because I would have had issues breaking the the bike without going over the limit, even being fully aware and conscious of the whole break in procedure.

Again, just to put it into perspective, even with the ~9000 break in rev limiter, I was able to power wheelie at the top of lower gears, as well as get both wheels off the ground in balls-out acceleration over bumpy roads. For those of you who haven't ridden one of these things, put on a nice pair of pants and boots and head to your nearest BMW dealer and ask for a test ride, but be prepared to fall instantly in love to the point you run off to Vegas and elope with the thing, lol.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Maybe I should have just let him finish the service.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Never feally did like the philosophy behind low-rev break in procedures. 2 of the 3 brand new (read: <5 miles on the odo) bikes that I've ever purchased had dyno cycled break ins done, and both of those bikes had very stout engines that made big power. And more impressively, they maintained it over the years.

My '04 R1 was within 2hp of the original baseline, after 20,000+ miles, with nothing more than regular oil changes and the basic maintenance listed in the owners manual. Did it over on the dyno at TK, before the merger. I do realize there are different schools of thought, though.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I'm sorry that you had your experience w/ Pikes Peak. I too have had a terrible experience with those guys. Maybe it wasn't them so much as the Buell I bought there. But one guy in my circle of friends had his serviced there, and they neglected to add oil to it. When he picked it up, he looked in the oil tank, no oil.

Good thing he looked.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

*UPDATE*
    Just got some clarification from the shop. I guess there was a communication issue originally and it turns out the bike computer is fine, it's their BMW service computer that's not working. So, they've completed the service on the bike, minus the ECU updates and pulling the rev limiter. So at this point I'm a nit relieved and am waiting out the day for them to hear back from BMW as to whether or not they'll have it up and running today.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

And to think I read about a piss poor experience at PPM over on ADVRider just a little bit ago...LOL

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769655

It seems to always be the same, they don't know much about other brands, they are stuck on HD as being the BEST. Sales and service stink. I've read that a lot on various sites. Seems the complaints are a higher % then normal...so that leads me to believe they just plain SUCK.

I have no idea what you're talking about.