Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ducati/Rossi - Time for a Divorce?

Re: Ducati/Rossi - Time for a Divorce?

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Change the engine - this armchair engineer doesn't think the frame is the problem.
    Interesting... (from Aug. 2011)

The much bigger problem, in my view, is the layout of the engine. It is physically large, the 90° L4 layout making the engine long, and placing the cylinder banks in awkward locations when packaging a racing motorcycle. The size and shape of the engine make compromises on layout inevitable, and precisely these compromises are what are preventing the Ducati from generating the necessary load in the ultra-stiff front Bridgestone tire, and leaving the front end of the bike feeling vague. With no confidence in the front end, neither Valentino Rossi nor Nicky Hayden - nor indeed any of the satellite Ducati riders - can push the bike to the extent needed to be competitive.

Abandoning the L would be the biggest step Ducati could make towards becoming competitive again. It would open up avenues which the current layout makes it impossible to explore. The weight distribution would be much more flexible, giving Rossi, Burgess and co. more options to explore. A more compact V or even an inline 4 layout could turn around Ducati's prospects.

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...mosedici_.html

I would love....

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...ack/20553.html

QUESTIONS surround the future of Valentino Rossi and Ducati with some rumours pointing towards the Italian returning to Yamaha, a move that former team-mate Jorge Lorenzo has said he would welcome.

One of the key reasons behind Rossi's switch to Ducati - despite stating his desire to end his career at Yamaha - was the decision to retain Lorenzo in the factory team, as the Spaniard was winning on the YZR-M1 he crafted.

But during the first round at Qatar speculation spread from a report in the Italian media that Rossi would be leaving Ducati to rejoin Yamaha, in his own satellite team with sponsorship from Coca Cola. A wild rumour for two reasons: he has a multi-million pound deal with Monster Energy, which is owned by soft drink rival Pepsi, and Yamaha have said they are at their limit with four M1s on the grid.

Lorenzo, as quoted on Motorsport-Magazin, commented on the rumours: "I wouldn't mind at all. I work for Yamaha, and if there was another fast rider on the machine, we could improve our overall chances of success."

Responding to Lorenzo, and trying to calm the rumour-mill, Rossi said: “I’m very grateful to Lorenzo and in this difficult moment he’s the only rider who still respects me and I appreciate it, but it’s still too early to talk about next season, we still have to make the Ducati work, that is our goal.”

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...#ixzz1tZW5L0Sf

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    But during the first round at Qatar speculation spread from a report in the Italian media that Rossi would be leaving Ducati to rejoin Yamaha, in his own satellite team with sponsorship from Coca Cola. A wild rumour for two reasons: he has a multi-million pound deal with Monster Energy, which is owned by soft drink rival Pepsi, and Yamaha have said they are at their limit with four M1s on the grid.
    Visordown has since edited this article, Monster is not owned by Pepsi (distributes Rockstar), they are still independent and rumors swirled today that Coca-Cola (Full Throttle) was trying to buy them...all with cursory denials after the stories spread throughout the financial new world today. It would be pretty easy to confuse who owns what, they may be distributed by Pepsi in some markets just like Coca-Cola and/or Pepsi distributes Dr. Pepper in markets here in the US.

The Wall Street Journal - Coke Explored Talks With Monster