Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RWD cage in CO?

RWD cage in CO?

Who has one? How do you deal with driving in snow?

I'm looking at cars and prefer a driver's car w/MT.

And..... go!
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Senior Member Moderator

Re: RWD cage in CO?

I used to drive an 89 Camaro when I lived in Utah. As long as you know what you're doing, the snow isn't much of a problem. In my opinion you're even more cautious driving a rwd than awd or 4wd because you won't as easily be instilled with a false sense of confidence.

When starting out in snow, put the car in 2nd gear if you're having trouble getting traction. I also recommend finding empty parking lots to do donuts in so you can prepare yourself for the rare spin you may encounter while going down a hill. As long as you don't hit something it's a lot of fun!
    Last edited by Drano; Sat Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

My last RWD was a 99 Mustang GT and that was fun as shit to drive! The new Mustang V6 has better performance numbers than my 99 had. I have read somewhere that it's a Euro feeling car re: Handling.

With a good set of winter tires you should be golden. Some of our Infiniti customers drive their G35/37 rwd in the winter no issues.

Honestly I prefer my AWD since I never have to worry about the weather.

But, my first car and several others were RWD and I still survived in winter.

Studded snows, don't drive like an ass & you'll get by most of the time.

Just don't be That Asshole doing 25 mph in the left lane on the 470 when there's two flakes in the air...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'd put Blizzaks on it every winter...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I'd put Blizzaks on it every winter...
    Good tires help, but it all depends on what car they're on, where you're driving and what the weather is doing.

This winter was so dry that unless you were up in the mountains for one of our few storms you'd probably have been fine most of the time.

However, in a bad winter it'll be a lot of slow & miserable driving. I never drove my z28 in snow, as I had another (awd) winter car, but my Impala & my 200sx saw a few winters each. Fun to drift & fuck around in, not so fun actually trying to drive 285 in a blizzard.

On the other hand, my STI absolutely destroys winter driving and makes getting anywhere incredibly easy while still being a monster at the track.

I miss RWD dynamics, but overall I'll keep AWD for my daily and get another RWD as a secondary "fun" car.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I've got one sitting in the garage...

but it wont see the snow, nor will it see the rain lol. Actually just sold the bike to be able to buy it. My wrangler is my DD.

a part of hell where its always warm and the roads are to die for

Have had no probs with the BMW just get a good set of snow tires

My wife has a Lincoln Town Car. There's been the odd problem of getting stuck in the neighborhood since those side streets never get plowed, but I think that's also mainly due to my wife and not knowing how to handle the vehicle and gas pedal in deeper snow.

If you know how to actually drive then caution should keep you well enough in control. 90degree turns in the ice seem to be the biggest issue since that's where you're going to see the biggest difference in not having the front wheels to pull you through the turn.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

I cut my teeth driving a 66 mustang in the snow and I never got stuck. Like others have said, proper tires and proper driving, you'll be fine. It's a mindset. When I had my jeep, I would purposely go out and play in deep snow... and got it stuck good enough to require shoveling several times. Things I would not do in a RWD car.

The current stable works as well. The RWD stays in the garage and the 4WD tank comes out to play. Not that I'm worried about my driving, but I'm scared to death of others. If I'm going to take a broadside from some idiot who has no clue about winter driving, I would rather them smash up my ram over my mustang any day of the week.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I grew up driving a RWD rear engined bug in the snow. Also had a Miata for a couple of years. The Miata wasn't the best, since it was so darned light it tended to float on top and not get traction. With the right tires you can get through most snow days. Put Blizzaks on all four corners. I even went so far as to go to narrower snow tires to cut through the snow; instead of running say 190 go to 180s. Now, with traction control, it's going to cut power to the drive wheels when it's slippery, so be aware the power might not be there when you want it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

If u can't get awd, get fwd. rwd in co. nah . I don't care how nice a set of tires u get ur still gonna drive gingerly. U have more chance Of losing control driving a rwd than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    If u can't get awd, get fwd. rwd in co. nah . I don't care how nice a set of tires u get ur still gonna drive gingerly. U have more chance Of losing control driving a rwd than any other.
    ... I see a lot more AWD suvs in the ditch on snow days than I see Camaros.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I haven't really had any problems with a RWD car in snow, the only issues is at times was the low ground clearance on my BMW Z4. With all season tires it did fine with what we had this year (I moved up at the end of October) with the traction control/ABS it was pretty easy, it was a good thing that I replaced the summer tires with all season tires last summer before we decided to move up here. The only time I had a problem was when the plow stacked up snow right behind my car, with Snowman's pickup I would have been able to just back right over it. My wife's 4Runner is 2WD (bought a few years ago in Austin, didn't need 4WD down there) but we really haven't had to do much in snow with it yet since she moved up here in February. When it comes time to get a replacement for the 4Runner we will probably replace it with something 4WD/AWD, I would like to get a pickup and park the Z4 in the garage and leave it for a fun car, that will probably be a 4WD vehicle as well. There tends to be a lot more of them available up here in the used market than in Oklahoma or Texas, the few that do come up on the used market down there tend to be at a premium price because there just aren't as many of them.

In years past in Oklahoma the only RWD that I had trouble with was my old Ranchero, too much motor and no weight in the rear but we had more ice than snow there and nothing tends to do well on ice.

[QUOTE] I see a lot more AWD suvs in the ditch on snow days than I see Camaros."

Those r da nimrods that believe in 4 wheel go means 4 wheel stop. Camaros usually stay around Denver metro. They are the ones in front of u at a stop light.

Gold Member

Red is fine. Carry chains for the mountains. Call it a day.

Colorado winters are mild, with a rear drive car in the winter most days you will want regular tires on it. We have like a total of 10 days with snow on the road get a good set of chains and practice putting them on then when the occasional storm hits youll be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    ... I see a lot more AWD suvs in the ditch on snow days than I see Camaros.
    ... Which reminds me of Squaw pass last year when we rode on full ice/snow and saw this guy on a Chevrolet Avalanche stuck while we rode past him lmao, RWD? No problem!

The new Mustang V6 is looking better and better.

Depends more on YOUR driving ability then the vehicle. I have a 4wd truck that I drove in rwd through most of the snow with almost bald tires. But I like driving in the snow more then most people and thus I'm better at it.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    ... Which reminds me of Squaw pass last year when we rode on full ice/snow and saw this guy on a Chevrolet Avalanche stuck while we rode past him lmao, RWD? No problem!
    Hahaha!!! On bikes I presume? Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Depends more on YOUR driving ability then the vehicle. I have a 4wd truck that I drove in rwd through most of the snow with almost bald tires. But I like driving in the snow more then most people and thus I'm better at it.
    I like it when things get loose. But I grew up surfing and MTBing so constant adjustments are not a concern.

Yeah, I think this thread has lessened my worry and I'll be moving forward with a RWD MT of some kind. Trying to stay in the mid $20k's so I'm limited in selection but there are a few good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Hahaha!!! On bikes I presume? Nice!
    Yea, I'll look for the picture and post it.