Thread: Decals under Clearcoat?

Decals under Clearcoat?

Sorry if this subject has been beaten to death, but I did do some searches first, but not many hits.

On newer sportbikes (2008+), are factory decals generally under the clearcoat? If so, is that the case for the ones on the tank AND the fairings? I've read online that in some cases only the decals on the tank are under clearcoat, but the ones on the plastics can easily/safely be removed, just use a heatgun and GooGone on the residue.

Next question obviously, is if they are under the clearcoat do those pieces need to basically just be completely repainted? In other words, forget it, just live with the factory striping/decals? Ugh...
    Last edited by Ghosty; Mon Apr 16th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Decals under Clearcoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    On newer sportbikes (2008+), are factory decals generally under the clearcoat? If so, is that the case for the ones on the tank AND the fairings? I've read online that in some cases only the decals on the tank are under clearcoat, but the ones on the plastics can easily/safely be removed, just use a heatgun and GooGone on the residue.

Next question obviously, is if they are under the clearcoat do those pieces need to basically just be completely repainted? (did some searches here and online and only got a few hits). In other words, forget it, just live with the factory striping/decals? Ugh...
    I have seen older bikes that have clear coat over the decals But i don't think they do that with newer bikes. My 05 Zx6r didn't have clear coat.

I've known guys who traced the decals with a razor, peeled the decals and reclearcoated the pieces to great effect. But that was before vinyl was so widespread, why no just get vinyl done exactly how you want and then if you ever sell it you can easily revert to beautiful factory panels...

Metal tanks (not the tank cover plastics like on a CBR600RR) typically have graphics under clear coat.

Plastic fairings are usually just decals on top of the plastic and can be removed with a heat gun.

If you're removing the clear coat to remove the tank stickers then yes, it will have to at least be re-cleared (and typically re-painted).

So, it all depends on what year/make/model bike you have. As some 2008s are still "old school" and some aren't.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Most tank decals I've seen are under clearcoat. Most on the plastics aren't. I know on my Zed, the only label under clearcoat is the Kawasaki across both sides of the tank.

EDIT: Ghost beat me to it, and made a good distinction between metal and plastic.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Thanks! Btw, specifically '10+ Honda & Yamaha sportbikes. I'll probably call the dealers after work. I guess I'm just not a big "flashy graphics" kinda guy, except my helmet.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Mon Apr 16th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.