Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone upgrade advice needed

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Phone upgrade advice needed

Good day tech heads...

So I'm about ready for my 2 year renewal / upgrade opportunity with Verizon and I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to phones - I don't have the damndest idea which is better or why.

I'm partial to physical QWERTY keyboards - but I know those are almost impossible to get anymore - so I'll have to settle for a virtual keyboard.

Otherwise - there's not much I absolutely NEED out of a phone. Smartphone - yes. 4G? I honestly don't know if I care. I'm fine with good 3G speeds to be honest.

The phones I'm currently considering / comparing are:
    HTC Rezound
    Droid Razr 32gb
    Droid Razr 16gb
    Droid 4

I like the Droid Maxx's battery life - but not the price.

Anyway --- can anyone give me some thoughts on pro's, con's, etc... and if there's a phone there from Verizon I'm missing that I should consider?

For the record --- I will not consider the iPhones under any circumstances.

Thanks in advance!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: Phone upgrade advice needed

Why are the iPhones not being considered? Is there something about them that might help with input?

There's already a Droid-4?! I've had a Droid-X for a long time. Might change things up on my next phone, but haven't researched all the flavors yet. I HATE my battery life, even with the extended battery, it blows. The Razr looks pretty trick, so thin.

P.S. After my nightmarish experience with the iTunes and iPod Nano p.o.s., I'll probably never buy an Apple product again.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Why are the iPhones not being considered? Is there something about them that might help with input?
    Personal moral objective to never own an Apple product.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    There's already a Droid-4?!
    Yes. I like mine quite a bit. The physical keyboard comes in handy at times (like ssh sessions into servers).
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Droid 4 has QuarkyKeyboard. Razor Maxx is what I'm driving and it is the tits What ever you get get it soon. Verizon just announced that all phone upgrades will now cost $30.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member

I used to have to have a key board but have goten used to one on the screen. Droid x. I like it.

i dont use a key pad on my iphone i just talk to it and it does the rest for me...

Gold Member

I do that when im driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Droid 4 has QuarkyKeyboard. Razor Maxx is what I'm driving and it is the tits What ever you get get it soon. Verizon just announced that all phone upgrades will now cost $30.
    When does that rule / cost supposedly go into effect?
    My upgrade isn't available until May 2

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    When does that rule / cost supposedly go into effect?
    My upgrade isn't available until May 2
    This month sometime. Maybe they will let you do it earlier to avoid the charge.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar

If physical keyboard is top priority, you only have one choice, the Droid 4.

If the keyboard is not a requirement but a preference, I would get the Razr 32gb. No on the 16 gb Razr. Why get a 16gb version if you can get the 32 gb for a bit more? No on the Rezound since it's only a 3G phone.

Three other options you may want to consider:

1) Razr Maxx: As Jeffe here says, Razr Maxx is a MUST over the regular Razrs. Same everything but MUCH MUCH better battery life. Not sure what your daily routine is, but with these large screen phones and 4G, phone batteries don't last very long. To add, Razr's don't give you access to the battery compartment, which means you can't keep a spare battery and are screwed if you run out of juice. So to consider the fact that you are stuck with the phone for two years, I'd go for the Razr Maxx. Who knows, maybe by the time May rolls around, the Maxx would get cheaper?

2) Galaxy Nexus: I currently have the Galaxy Nexus. Specs are very much similar to the Razrs (dual core, 4.6 ~ 4.7 in screen, etc.). I'm sure by the time May 2nd rolls around, the price would be comparable to the Droid Razors you listed. Beautiful screen and darn smooth operation. I love the freedom to hack this developer based phone as well. You also are on the latest version of the Android operating system (not the latest release though). I think I am on 4.02, which is Ice Cream Sandwich. Love the OS. Much better all around than Gingerbread (2.3.#), which is on the Razrs.

3) Galaxy SIII: I doubt you would go for this, but Samsung will be releasing their new flagship phone, the Galaxy SIII sometime in the summer (maybe May/June?). The SII was a huge hit. It's been close to a year (which is VERY long for phone tech age), and it's still one of the best phones out there. Beautiful screen and very snappy phone. No news on whether it would be released on Verizon, but there's a good chance. SII was never release on Verizon because of the release of the Galaxy Nexus release. This would obviously be the most expensive option though.
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

Sorry, had the wrong phone in mind on HTC Rezound... That is a 4G phone with a smaller 4.3 in screen (compared to Galaxy Nexus or Razr)... I was thinking of the HTC Rhyme which is a 3G phone...

Haven't heard much about the Rezound except for the fact that it's a solid phone and it comes with Beats audio (which already parted ways with HTC this year). People seem to like this phone. HTC always makes good quality phones, but apparently this phone didn't do so hot against the Motorola Razr on battery life and overall performance. Since the Razr is not great already on battery life, I'd be cautious on getting this...
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

i am really close in getting a cell phone. one i might get ::Samsung GALAXY Note Android Phone

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    i am really close in getting a cell phone. one i might get ::Samsung GALAXY Note Android Phone
    If I were you I would start here like the rest of us

i'm a big ballah. my first phone was

1000 dollars back in the day..hahaha

dont forget to hold all of them first. you might find you prefer one over another based on size alone. consider where you keep it mostly. my droid x sometimes feels awful in my pocket, especially when it slides sideways.

I am due for an upgrade as well, but I have been looking at the rumors of a "Droid Fighter", which might become the Droid Razr HD, and I think I'm going to hold off until that comes out.

Supposedly they thought it would get released April 12th, but I guess that didn't happen. Rumors have suggested a better processor, better screen, same battery as the Razr Maxx, and already including the new Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" system. Nothing is set in stone though, so I don't know how long I'll be waiting.

http://androidcommunity.com/droid-ra...data-20120416/
    SOLD '09 Honda CBR1000RR - Pearl White
    '08 Honda CBR1000RR - Winning Red
    Daily Driver: '07 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins

If rooting and loading custom ROM's is your thing, I'd say go with either the Nexus or Rezound...

Although there is a good community build up around the Razr, with its locked bootloader, the full potential of the phone can't be used.

BUT, if battery life is your thing, go with the Maxx (what I have). With light to moderate usage, it'll easily last 36+ hours.

Another thing to note, the Tegra 3 processor seems to be rocking all the tests, but isn't available on any phones here yet (I think). It may be worth waiting for.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Too bad you've cut out iPhones. I bought the 4 almost 2 years ago and still love. Best phone I've ever had! And I've had a ton of them.

The virtual keyboard is pretty slick.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by josh8667 View Post
    Rumors have suggested a better processor, better screen, same battery as the Razr Maxx, and already including the new Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" system. Nothing is set in stone though, so I don't know how long I'll be waiting.
    Nice, might have to wait to see how that one is, since I'll keep it for a couple years, like I have with my Droid-X.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Here ya go Vance.
    Amazon wireless selling Galaxy Nexus to new customers for $50!

That is a damn good deal. I love the Galaxy Nexus. At this point, this is your best bang for the buck in my opinion...
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yes. I like mine quite a bit. The physical keyboard comes in handy at times (like ssh sessions into servers).
    What are the odds I'd be able to do emergency php/MySQL development with a Droid 4? Is there a programmer's editor/IDE?
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    What are the odds I'd be able to do emergency php/MySQL development with a Droid 4? Is there a programmer's editor/IDE?
    Touchqode is pretty decent. You can open and edit remote files (ftp or sftp) pretty easily.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson