Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bike Advice

New Bike Advice

In the moderate-to-slim chance I break down and buy a NEW bike...

Months of reading reviews (a lot of 4way 'Smackdowns' and 'Shootouts'), shopping online, making calls, and been to Fay, Vickery, BMW, & Coyote. Gonna try to hit some others this weekend. Tempted mostly by the '12 CBR1k & '12 R1. Any specific dealers you guy recommend and/or got decent deals below MSRP? Online, I noticed from $1k to $1400 markup from dealer cost, but I know bike dealers aren't like new cars, not a hold lot of wiggle room? I know there will be D&H/setup on top too.

It's gonna take a sweet deal to tempt me away from just a clean used bike for cash and no loan. If this is a lost cause, feel free to say so. TIA...

Ads like this are why I shy away from a new one: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2955228751.html
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Re: New Bike Advice

i will always buy a new bike vs used. yes there is not much wiggle room for lowering the msrp. due to a bike is mostly for recreational use.

i wanted 2k off. went to fay first..they said go pound sand. i called around as far as boulder, nada. i went to aurora honda got 1700 off. But dont go there for maintenance... .

..ooohhh that 2012 cbr 1k is sooo sweet....

Thanks mdub, I'll check out Aurora Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Wow, didn't see that because I don't even have 2010-2012 in my Craigslist search criteria. I better start including those. But, $800 in dealer fees on that guy?! Geeze...

I'm finding all kinds of super-clean bikes with under 5k miles, but they're out of state.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I'd get that 2008 and save the money.

The differences between that bike and the 2012 are so wholly insignificant that 99.99% of street riders wouldn't know the difference.

Find a clean used bike and it's money in your pocket for track days, tires, gear, mods, whatever.

As to new bike pricing, this is Spring--the time when *Everyone* wants a new bike. Add in thinner margins and a generally weak economy and most places will be selling the latest, hottest bikes for every penny they can get. So, do a lot of legwork, but don't expect to find a ton of "below invoice" deals.

Still, if you do go New, talk to Ed Laypo at Fay Myers and see what they can do. If you have a competitor's quote bring it with you and they'll usually match it--usually, but not always, especially now when they know they'll get MSRP from the next guy in line.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

BMW S1000RR /thread

Seriously though, do yourself a favor and test ride one. I managed to wiggle my dealer down almost a grand, and they even threw in heated gloves or free and unlimited miles on a maintanence package. Then I mentioned the military discount and (after a few phone calls to BMW) took another $1000 off the top (still got stuck with the taxes, but I live in the county so not too bad). All said and done it was barely $14k out the door with ABS, TC and the BMW HP Gearshift Assistant ($500). Only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the factory heated grips. That's damn near Big 4 prices on a 2012 BMW. I read a review somewhere that stated that the build quality alone on the BMW was, in his opinion at least, worth the extra $2k or so you'll pay versus a Japanese bike. Plus it's a BMW. Also, if you're concerned about financing ask about the BMW 3asy Ride program, they split the loan and only charge payments and interest on like half, holding the rest.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

dont get a 2008 honda, oil burning issue. MIght not be on all 2008's. Something about rings not setting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yeah I might look at that one and some more up North. Everything I read about that generation of CBR is all 100% positive, big changes, especially in the motor, lowering of the mass for handling, mid-range torque, even the exhaust. You can't beat that deal for mileage.

I dunno why the '08-'11 styling keeps rubbing me a weird way though. Some days I'm drooling, other days I'm kinda not liking it. Reading online, I think that's a lot of people though.

<Edit>: Didn't know about the ring-sealing issue, no bueno. Will need to research more.

Like Mdub stated go used.
    You will save a boat load of money for an almost identical bike.

I found my 2011 Ducati 848 Evo in April of last year with 300ish miles you can find a near new bike too.

I'd also reccommend, if you are not doing it but search outlying states in your Craigslist searches.
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    I found my 2011 Ducati 848 Evo in April of last year with 300ish miles you can find a near new bike too.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2889355699.html

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

everytime I'm at Tri-City Those guys have brought in a bunch of bikes that are 2005 And newer w low low miles. they will always move on price.

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Go to AZ new bikes, are $3000 less than in Colorado. Ride it back. By the time you get back you'll break it in. There are 15 dealerships in Phoenix, its a "right now business" you will get what You want.
    2009 ZX10R Xxxx miles and counting
    2009 FZ6 10ooo miles ridden-sold

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCARCASS View Post
    everytime I'm at Tri-City Those guys have brought in a bunch of bikes that are 2005 And newer w low low miles. they will always move on price.
    Thx. Besides Craigs, I've been checking the web used-inventories daily on Motorado, Tri-City, and bunch of other dealers. When the right one pops up in Colorado, I'm ready to move.

Unfortunately my old 4Runner took so long to sell, that I missed the prime months (February-March) to pick up some good deals. Hence my late start now.

Samko, I do the 'MotoMan' method of hard break-in on most of my motors. Anything they didn't already do in the factory, will be broke-in within the first 10 miles, then immediate oil&filter change. I do use SearchTempest to check neighboring states, incl. AZ. I'll have to call some dealers down there, see how different they are. $3k less sounds too good to be true though?...
    Last edited by Ghosty; Mon Apr 16th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

Go to AZ new bikes, are $3000 less than in Colorado. Ride it back. By the time you get back you'll break it in. There is 15 dealerships in Phoenix, its a "right now business" you will get what You want.
    big dude has a point...

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    You will save a boat load of money for an almost identical bike.

I'd also reccommend, if you are not doing it but search outlying states in your Craigslist searches.
    I've been thinking about trading the 748 up for the 848evo. Won't likely happen but the thought makes me warm and fuzzy.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

not me...that was ghost.

if i can afford it i go new. i personally like to break-in the bike first...

Can I borrow your bike that you dont own yet?

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

you could also try Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls ID, where they had brand new '07 and '08 Gixxer 1k's for like $7k.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2953659507.html

My buddy Zack is selling this. Sweet bike. $6900

The depreciation on a motorcycle is so steep, it's unbelievable to me that people actually buy them new, let alone take out a loan with interest.

The depreciation on a motorcycle is so steep, it's unbelievable to me that people actually buy them new, let alone take out a loan with interest.
    it is personal preference on a 2 wheel rocket. but when i visited motorado there were a cpl of used bikes that peak my interest.

they have plenty of wiggle room. Remember what MSRP stands for - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. That is the price that Honda or Yamaha recommends the dealer sell the bike for while still making a profit. Don't think that the dealer pays anywhere near that for the bike. Setup is covered by labor on other shop jobs they do. Any dealer that is trying to sell you a bike over msrp plus any other kinda bullshit is just taking you for a ride because they think they can get the money out of you. a bike at msrp should cover any dealer fees, labor, and materials, AND should net them a profit. they can probably cover tax & tag too, depending.

If none of the dealers around here want to match you price, I'm a fan of finding a better deal somewhere else, finding a dealer here who will play ball. if you can't find one here, go somewhere else and ride or trailer the damned thing here.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    they have plenty of wiggle room. Remember what MSRP stands for - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. That is the price that Honda or Yamaha recommends the dealer sell the bike for while still making a profit. Don't think that the dealer pays anywhere near that for the bike. Setup is covered by labor on other shop jobs they do.
    You realize you're wrong, right?

Or do you really think there's $10k profit in an $11k bike and that Techs work for free?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by big53lee View Post
    My buddy Zack is selling this. Sweet bike. $6900
    I'm not looking at Gixxers, but thx for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    you could also try Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls ID, where they had brand new '07 and '08 Gixxer 1k's for like $7k.
    Whoa, that also sounds too good to be true. I'll check out their website used inventory though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Can I borrow your bike that you dont own yet?
    Heheh, cool bike for sure. Price doesn't seem outrageous for a nice Duc.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    If none of the dealers around here want to match you price, I'm a fan of finding a better deal somewhere else, finding a dealer here who will play ball. if you can't find one here, go somewhere else and ride or trailer the damned thing here.
    Yep, I won't settle. I already gave up a nice R6 so I could get a liter bike I can build and hold onto for a few years. And I am open to renting a trailer and going outta state for a good bike. But it's gotta be a sweet deal for that effort. There are a few nice <5k miles R1's for around $8k, outta state. As a last resort I might try to wheel & deal on one of 'em.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Mon Apr 16th, 2012 at 10:00 PM.