Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bike Advice

Re: New Bike Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    You realize you're wrong, right?

Or do you really think there's $10k profit in an $11k bike and that Techs work for free?
    Yup, even at MSRP they usually make less than a grand on the bike. By the time all is said and done, dealers typically make 1-200 dollars on a new bike. They make a whole lot more on each used bike.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

use the all of craigslist search or all of craigslist state search if you haven't already.

I'll another +1 for buying used. Both my bikes were purchased new and for the one I still have it's been good for me as I still ride it 5 years later but looking back I could have gotten a bike, even just 1 year earlier and saved a butt load.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Ghosty, if you have any interest in an '08 ZX10R in the candy blue color...

I've got a buddy who's a cop that wants to sell his as he never rides it and he wants to get a car. The bike is perfect, only has 2900 miles, garage-kept/one owner/never been down/yada yada. It has a Two Bros exhaust system and a tail tidy kit.

I'm not sure what he wants for it but if you're interested, PM me and I'll shoot you his number.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    use the all of craigslist search or all of craigslist state search if you haven't already.
    How does that work? I've been using SearchTempest to search all CL's within a certain specified mileage range (i.e. <750).

Besides "no new loan", another reason in the "used pro's column" is that money saved can be put towards a lift, wheels, & tires for my truck.

'08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I saw an ad posted above regarding the 848. Just a fair heads up, there was a huge class action lawsuit against ducati north america regarding their gas tanks. Tanks bubbling, leaking, deforming, etc. This affected 848, 1098, 1198, and monsters. I believe the sp models came with an aluminum tank so it wasn't affected.

Apparently the ethanol level in our US gas doesn't do well with the plastic tank compound. However, the dealer I talked to said they only seen it happen in one bike locally. Ducati is warrantying it.... but later down the road after the warranty is gone, I believe the part is around 1700-1800 or so.

The warranty part is a slightly smaller tank so that if it deforms, you can still put the key into it....not sure how many miles you get on a full tank then since I believe twins don't get exactly "good gas mileage".

There is some sort of coating you can get put into the tank to prevent it....

Also there was a member here that had an 848.... he loved the bike when it was running good and in the end, hated the bike due to all the issues it had. I can put you in touch with him if needed.

I found the message from him....here is a quote from him regarding the 848:

"Never had problems with the tank, but I had all sorts of other problems with the radiator leaking (twice), the clutch hydraulics, some electric harness... and other minor stuff. Loved the bike, but I just couldn't deal with all the break-downs."

Thanks Jay, good info for jmetz, and the rest of us to file away. You had the white Samurai Busa, right? Who owns it now?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Ghosty, if you have any interest in an '08 ZX10R in the candy blue color...

I'm not sure what he wants for it but if you're interested, PM me and I'll shoot you his number.
    Thanks. There's been a couple of low-miles blue ZX10's in the last week, both in the low $7k range. I think they're both sold.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Apr 17th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

My friend Mohammed bought it, he has the silver EVO VIII with a little more than bolt ons haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    My friend Mohammed bought it, he has the silver EVO VIII with a little more than bolt ons haha.
    Is this the guy that Casper is having a Youtube comments battle over racing? The one that raced Milkman last month?...

Probably not, Mohammeds car has been down/building since last year.

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I saw an ad posted above regarding the 848. Just a fair heads up, there was a huge class action lawsuit against ducati north america regarding their gas tanks. Tanks bubbling, leaking, deforming, etc...

There is some sort of coating you can get put into the tank to prevent it....
    Jay, I think you can only use that coating if the tanks are brand new, never had gas in them. At least that's what I read on the KTM forum. Some of the RC8s have had that issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Jay, I think you can only use that coating if the tanks are brand new, never had gas in them. At least that's what I read on the KTM forum. Some of the RC8s have had that issue as well.
    Good to know!!!!

Ft.Collins '08 R1, <4k, asking $8200, blue. Kinda outta my pricerange, but in line with KBB & Nada, considering low mileage:

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2940657126.html

What do you think is fair? Thinking of making a low offer, cash, just to throw it out there. Ya never know, but I don't wanna be a dick, heh.

Ft.Collins '08 R1, ?? mileage (sent text), asking $8k, burgandy:

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/2918859362.html
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Whatever you do don't say cash in your offer. IMO it just looks douchy. No one takes checks these days so emphazing cash is stupid.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Whatever you do don't say cash in your offer. IMO it just looks douchy. No one takes checks these days so emphazing cash is stupid.
    Understood, but I do all the time, "cash or certified bank-check, your choice". It's to emphasize that I do not need to get approved for a loan. I've bought/sold five vehicles this past year, so I've heard EVERY STORY, lol. And many sellers appreciate that I have "cash in-hand" vs. "I'll buy it, I only need to get approved first", then the guy flakes when he doesn't get the loan.

Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Apr 17th, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Maybe an "I have cash in hand" or an "I can pick it up today" but (and maybe it's just me) when I see "$300 cash!" the first thought in my mind is "like I was gonna take a check, dildo."
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Right on, I hear ya. My phone demeanor alone puts people at ease, heh. Usually if I mention cash-in-hand, it's immediately followed by "so no need for a loan", or something along those lines, and not douchy or teenager-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Is this the guy that Casper is having a Youtube comments battle over racing? The one that raced Milkman last month?...
    Nah, that's an STi
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I do know another Mohammed up in Ft Collins with an STI as well, that "might" be him but I haven't heard anything about it. But that is having slight issues as well. Put down 600+ on Macs dyno earlier in the year.

He isn't the type to be bragging online or talking trash although he will race just about anything so I would be surprised if it were him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    You realize you're wrong, right?

Or do you really think there's $10k profit in an $11k bike and that Techs work for free?
    If I said there was $10K profit in an $11K bike then yeah, I'd be wrong. But is $1K-$2K profit is still profit? yep.

Shop rates and pricing structures are set up to recoup the cost of any labor or materials that go into getting the bike from crate to showroom floor, so, since that cost is absorbed elsewhere, $1k-$2K profit is still profit.

That's why a dealership charging you for things they're recouping in other avenues (like delivery, setup, etc.) is too much to pay in my book.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    did you look into the Idaho Falls dealer I mentioned? I almost bought the '08 I think it was.
    Yeah, I replied to you that it sounded too good to be true (NEW Gixxer '07 & '08s for $7k?) I checked anyway, but no liter bikes at all, just a few 600RR's.

I wanna hear the '09+ R1 crossplane crankshaft & radical firing order in person, does it sound more like a V4? (like my old VFR, sounded sick). (What's up with those PrayingMantis headlamps though? heheh)

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Yeah, I replied to you that it sounded too good to be true (NEW Gixxer '07 & '08s for $7k?) I checked anyway, but no liter bikes at all, just a few 600RR's.

I wanna hear the '09+ R1 crossplane crankshaft & radical firing order in person, does it sound more like a V4? (like my old VFR, sounded sick). (What's up with those PrayingMantis headlamps though? heheh)
    I just looked, they musta sold 'em. I remember that's about what they were going for. Basically Zero miles, never titled. They bought 'em wholesale from a dealer in SLC who went belly-up. Ah well.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

The sound that comes out of the 09+ R1's is tough to beat, that is once the stock exhaust has been modified or replaced. If at all possible, try to test ride one. They ride a lot different than previous generations and are noticeably more wide. The bug-eye headlamps are either something you love or hate. The re-designed front on the 2012's is a nice improvement and really minimizes the bug look (which you could retro fit if that was a concern of yours). One essential mod to these bikes is a ECU flash. This really changes the throttle response drastically and removes some of the factory restrictions put in place for emissions, ect.

If you're ever downtown, you're more than welcome to come by and hear mine, but like I said try to go for a test ride. Coyote had a demo last year, I’m not sure what they have this year.
    I'd also recommend testing a S1000rr. That bike is a beast and Foothills BMW practically threw the keys to me when I walked in the door. The recent stop on all sales and rumors of recalls might have me second guess that purchase though.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    If I said there was $10K profit in an $11K bike then yeah, I'd be wrong. But is $1K-$2K profit is still profit? yep.

Shop rates and pricing structures are set up to recoup the cost of any labor or materials that go into getting the bike from crate to showroom floor, so, since that cost is absorbed elsewhere, $1k-$2K profit is still profit.

That's why a dealership charging you for things they're recouping in other avenues (like delivery, setup, etc.) is too much to pay in my book.
    There is no $1-2k profit in a bike unless it's a BMW, a Ducati or a Gold Wing that's sold at MSRP and has manufacturer-to-dealer incentives.

Most bikes have $300-800 in (total) profit if the bike is sold at MSRP.

Unlike cars, bikes come in a crate. A Tech has to un-crate, and then assemble and check the bike's operation prior to rolling it onto the showroom.

That tech/master builder is paid to assemble the bikes, and that pay comes from the "set up" fee.

The manufacturer charges the dealership to ship the bikes to them, and the "Delivery" fee offsets that cost.

If the dealership has to eat both the setup and delivery costs, then there's no profit in the bike.

Bikes are not cars, and even cars don't have the margins now that they did even 3 years ago.

The economy has forced manufacturers to increase their invoice costs and pass along delivery and shipping costs to the dealerships while they try to hold the MSRP as low (relatively) as they can.

So, whatever you've "heard" about $1-2k being the normal profit per bike sold, isn't true.

Most bikes have about 5% profit in them, so your $10,000 MSRP means about $500 bucks for the dealership--and that's assuming they're not paying for delivery and setup.

No cost is "absorbed" elsewhere, costs are costs, and they have to be paid. Typically that means the costs are passed on to the consumer who wants the bike.

And, it's not unreasonable to expect a dealership to make a profit selling bikes--it's what they are there to do.

You don't fault Target for making 30% profit off whatever you buy from them, you don't fault McDonald's for making 600% profit on it's Large Coke, so why suddenly balk at a dealership's fees?

In the current economy and with current margins, there are going to be fees to offset costs--that's simply how it is.

The perceptions many consumers have about bikes, dealerships, and profits aren't in line with reality. No one is making $2k profit off of a CBR600/1000RR.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson