Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZX-14 or HYABUSA

ZX-14 or HYABUSA

So I'm thinking about the ZX-14 or the hyabusa. I would like some input/thoughts on both of these bikes ??

Re: ZX-14 or HYABUSA

I heard scooters are pretty cool.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

What would you like to know about them and what are you expecting from these bikes?

New 2012's? If you watch Speed Channel much, you've probably seen the Kawi commercial bashing the Busa as "falling short on all categories". I doubt that the variances can be too glaring, on two bikes that are both so technologically advanced and have frieght-train horsepower. Do your own research for sure, since there aren't that many realworld people with new ones to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNlVFNiV1ds

If you dig through the noise, there are a couple useful posts in these threads:

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/genera...-hayabusa.html

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109352

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewth...2&pagenumber=2
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Like Slo said, what are you looking from a bike?... Also riding experience is a huge plus mainly wuth these two as they put down serious power from the factory.

According to most magazines and such I've been reading, the '12 ZX-14R is the way to go. More HP, more torque, etc etc etc. I've seen a few videos of the two raced in the 1/4 mile and have never once seen the Busa win.

At the same time though, the BMW S1000RR has comparable horsepower (depending on the dyno, etc, but often 2-5 more HP than either the '12 Busa or ZX-14R), but 15-20# less torque. However, fully stock the S1000RR weighs a good 100-150# less than either the Busa or the 14R, and will typically beat either bike in the 1/4, stock. Problem is, the 14R and Busa handle things such as turbos and NOS much better than the BMW, if drag racing and top speed is your thing.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Definitely go with the Busa if you want everyone to think you are cool

Definately made me cool. 1" bar risers and you have all day comfort, all the power you need and decent in the twisties.

S1000RR gets my vote.
    -Chris
    (77O-six55-3O35) '03 R6 (new baby) / '03 SV650 (sold) Almond Imaging Photography

ZX14R hands down. there is nothing that even comes close in power (sorry, a BMW S1000RR stock is like 10-15HP less), and the bike is suppppper smooth, very agile, very comfortable, etc. Go test ride one, you'll buy it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    ZX14R hands down. there is nothing that even comes close in power (sorry, a BMW S1000RR stock is like 10-15HP less), and the bike is suppppper smooth, very agile, very comfortable, etc. Go test ride one, you'll buy it on the spot.
    Motorcyclist Magazine put them without 2-3 HP, BMW favored. I just looked something a minute ago that put the 14R ahead by 3 HP. Nobody disputes the huge weight difference though, well over 100 lbs, which makes a huge difference, especially stock vs stock (no NOS, turbos, etc). The 14R does have a 10-15 ft lb torque gain though, stock vs stock, which makes since when you compare the ~1450 cc 14R motor versus the 999 cc BMW motor.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

My understanding is that the '12 model has beaten the Busa in just about every category, even if just slightly. I believe I read the reviews in Cycle World and Sports Rider.

Keep in mind the 2012 ZX14 has the bigger engine, more than a 100cc at that... I'm sure this will be reflected in insurance premiums. As for the busa, it's a solid bike with 13 years of history. Suzuki really didn't change much mechanically from the first gen to the second gen busa.
    Contact me for all yourAmsoil needs. 720-515-0963
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/007/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
    2004 Suzuki SV650 Sold

the newest sport rider has a comparo. they give it to the zx14. more power, better braking feel, and more laxed ergos too. but the hayabusa is still a hayabusa man, cant go wrong with either for what they are. when youre about to throw down the cash, test ride both and your mid will be made up.

ZX-14 is winning all the comparisons, and if you can't spell it, I'd definitely stay off of the Hayabusa.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Being 310lbs I love both of those bikes! I agree you should test drive em both.

Just make sure the first thing u should do is get rid of those semi truck sized smoke stacks on the sides of the bike. My god those cans are hideous!

Finch Home Improvements, LLC.
    720-448-19l9
    finchhomeimprovements@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/finchhomeimprovements
    Free Estimates!
    CSC member labor discount
    www.finchhomeimprovements.com
    2000 Yamaha R1 Sold
    2008 KTM XCR-W 450 - "Tang"
    2006 Yamaha TTR 125 - "Wife's Rig"
    Sportbike/Custom Chopper shopping

And if u get the busa, talk to slo. I hear he had the badest busa in town.

Finch Home Improvements, LLC.
    720-448-19l9
    finchhomeimprovements@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/finchhomeimprovements
    Free Estimates!
    CSC member labor discount
    www.finchhomeimprovements.com
    2000 Yamaha R1 Sold
    2008 KTM XCR-W 450 - "Tang"
    2006 Yamaha TTR 125 - "Wife's Rig"
    Sportbike/Custom Chopper shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Motorcyclist Magazine put them without 2-3 HP, BMW favored. I just looked something a minute ago that put the 14R ahead by 3 HP. Nobody disputes the huge weight difference though, well over 100 lbs, which makes a huge difference, especially stock vs stock (no NOS, turbos, etc). The 14R does have a 10-15 ft lb torque gain though, stock vs stock, which makes since when you compare the ~1450 cc 14R motor versus the 999 cc BMW motor.
    Don't know about the article you are referring to, but I was unaware the new BMW was dynoing over 190rwhp STOCK, and 200rwhp with just an oil change....

http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro...ak_In_Zoom.jpg

http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro..._Test_Zoom.jpg

OR how about 200+ in the standing mile with just BOLT ONs!!

http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro...=316&zoneid=10
    Last edited by Hibs; Mon May 7th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    and if you can't spell it, I'd definitely stay off of the Hayabusa.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by big53lee View Post
    And if u get the busa, talk to slo. I hear he had the badest busa in town.
    Just pretty in some opinions, but definitely not the badest haha. However it was still fun lowered and 9" stretch up in the canyons.

These big bikes may not be the best for a roadcourse, however you will have no issues keeping up just fine with spirited rides.
    Last edited by Slo; Mon May 7th, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Even though I'm a suzuki guy, I'd have to recommend the ZX-14 if that's the kind of bike you want. Not for me though, I'll trade a little HP for a LOT less weight.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Board Newbie

The deciding factors in my choice of a '08 ZX-14 over an '09 'Busa were the ergos and the Special Edition paint job. The reach to the handlebars was a little shorter on the Ninja and the footpegs were considerably lower as well, resulting in a more more comfortable riding position for me. Back then, the 'Busa had few more ponies, and was a couple tenths of a second faster to 60 or 100, but seriously, the performance differences were minimal. Both bikes have more than enough torque to keep up with your GSR/CBR/R1 buddies, even when you've got a fat chick on the back...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Problem is, the 14R and Busa handle things such as turbos and NOS much better than the BMW, if drag racing and top speed is your thing.
    Why is that? Different (lower) compression? Stronger internal components? Or just that they're getting similar horsepower but from larger displacement, so less stressful on internals?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    Don't know about the article you are referring to, but I was unaware the new BMW was dynoing over 190rwhp STOCK, and 200rwhp with just an oil change....

http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro...ak_In_Zoom.jpg

http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro..._Test_Zoom.jpg

OR how about 200+ in the standing mile with just BOLT ONs!!

http://www.brocksperformance.com/bro...=316&zoneid=10
    All the RWHP figures I've seen for the BMW were closer to 186, with 82-85 ft lb torque typically. I think it was Sport Rider the other day which stated barel over 100-102 ft lb torque on the 14R, which is waaay off of the links you posted. 120 ft lbs torque is insane! I'm not disputing any of this, the 14R definitely has more power, but I'm seeing very different numbers for both bikes all over the place. I'll try and check some things out when I get home later to see if I can narrow down the figures I was finding previously. I also have that magazine at home. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just participating in the discussion. Like I said, the 14R is definately one mean bike, but like CM said, I'd take a few fewer HP for the massive weight savings and the better cornering, but I've got a friend who's the exact opposite, and I understand his preference and don't fault him for it. He loves to drag, I love to lean, and the BMW is damn near the best of both worlds, stock at least.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Why is that? Different (lower) compression? Stronger internal components? Or just that they're getting similar horsepower but from larger displacement, so less stressful on internals?
    I think it's the latter, bigger motors make certain mods easier, as do the bigger frames, since it's already heavier and there's more room to bolt things on to. Bigger cylinder likely means you can inject more NOS per piston cycle, turbos can force in more air, etc as well.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR