Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a sport touring bike...

Looking for a sport touring bike...

So I'm in the market for a sport touring bike that is on the faaaaar side of sport rather than touring. A couple years ago I'd routinely do 500 miles on a GSXR1k without issue. The problem with that now is the wife hates being on the back of a sport bike. Since she only rides with me once a month or so I'm looking for something that won't sacrifice too much "sport" but will be more comfortable for her. I've kind of narrowed it down to the '09 BMW K1300GT and the '10 VFR1200F. Any opinions? It looks like I'll be paying around 15k for the Beemer where I can get the VFR brand new for 10k. What say you? I'm new to the area and have no idea where to go to see if I could like up any test rides also. Majority of the riding I'll be doing will be long days around the mountains and hopefully a half a dozen or so 3 day trips to the desert, etc. A hard luggage option is a must also.

-Nick

Re: Looking for a sport touring bike...

I think the beamer is more on the tourer side of ST, but that's my opinion. I'd also take a look at the Sprint GT as well as the FJR and Connie. All three will definitely keep up in the canyons, come with hard bags and are comfy for long rides.

Lots of info here on any bike you're interested in: http://www.sport-touring.net
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

FZ1 is pretty close to sport while taking luggage well.
    Disclaimer: If I post a link, assume it's NSFW.
    Bike: 2009 FZ-1 "The Hematoma"

I'm in a similar situation. I'm going with a FJR for two up/touring riding.

FZ1 isn't any more comfortable for 2 up then a GSXR. A first gen might be an exception.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

SPORT tourers: VFR, FJR, Connie 14, Sprint GT, Ducati ST3 & ST4, Multistrada(?).... even seen Hyabusas fitted with hard luggage and heli-bars.

sport TOURERS: BMW K bikes, Honda ST1300, Guzzi Norge ...
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Apr 17th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    So I'm in the market for a sport touring bike that is on the faaaaar side of sport rather than touring. A couple years ago I'd routinely do 500 miles on a GSXR1k without issue. The problem with that now is the wife hates being on the back of a sport bike. Since she only rides with me once a month or so I'm looking for something that won't sacrifice too much "sport" but will be more comfortable for her. I've kind of narrowed it down to the '09 BMW K1300GT and the '10 VFR1200F. Any opinions? It looks like I'll be paying around 15k for the Beemer where I can get the VFR brand new for 10k. What say you? I'm new to the area and have no idea where to go to see if I could like up any test rides also. Majority of the riding I'll be doing will be long days around the mountains and hopefully a half a dozen or so 3 day trips to the desert, etc. A hard luggage option is a must also.

-Nick
    Well, I sport-tour on my '01 Gixxer 1k, sometimes doing over 700+ miles of twisties a day, so it all depends on your comfort level. You could get a 'Connie, and she'd probably love that. They seem to handle well enough if you never forget the true weight of the things and ride accordingly.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    ...sometimes doing over 700+ miles of twisties a day...

Wow, impressive!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

My biggest concern with a lot of the more touring oriented bikes is the linked brakes. I'm not a fan of the rear brake applying front brakes and standing the bike up. Does the FJR do this too? I've read the VFR isn't bad with this as it only applies the brakes to one caliper in the front? 700+ miles of twisty roads in a day is crazy too, you must be starting in the dark and finishing in the dark? I've done 800 miles around the Gap and back to Chicago and that was horrible and a lot of that was highway. Any idea of anywhere that would let me test ride an FJR? Any years to look out for?

Check out the rear seat on the Hayabusa. What a great touring bike.
    Life is too short. "Ride fast, take chances."

as mentioned, you want something faaaaaar side sport.... get a hayabusa, zx14 or zx14r. fit it with heli-bar risers, hard bags, and throttlemeister throttle lock and you're set.

I love my Connie, but mine is an older one without ABS and linked brakes. I hear that the linked setup on the newer ones isn't the best, but haven't ridden one to verify. Plenty of power, good brakes, and for a 2 ton beast, she handles quite well.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

They're starting to pop up in the used market for around 15, but if you find one, check out the Multistrada 1200s as well. Even with the "Italian" electrical issues, I love this bike.

Definitely on the SPORT side of ST. But not a back breaker at all.

Upright ergos, heated grips, hardbags = days and days of 700 - 800+ miley goodness. I rode mine out to Yellowstone then turned around and headed to CA for GP last summer and had a great time.

I have some family friends who traded their HD in on one, they've been all over 2 up on it and the wife says it's super comfy.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs View Post
    as mentioned, you want something faaaaaar side sport.... get a hayabusa, zx14 or zx14r. fit it with heli-bar risers, hard bags, and throttlemeister throttle lock and you're set.
    Remember the issue is not me. If it was up to me I'd grab another SS liter bike and be happy. If I'm going to get a pig like a busa or a zx14 I might as well get some comfort. The idea was finding comfort that handles well too. Those bikes do neither. All those bikes you listed have no wind protection (especially for the passenger), and the passenger foot pegs are way to high for comfort. I need something I can do a 500 mile day two-up on. It sounds like the FJR is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    They're starting to pop up in the used market for around 15, but if you find one, check out the Multistrada 1200s as well. Even with the "Italian" electrical issues, I love this bike.

Definitely on the SPORT side of ST. But not a back breaker at all.

Upright ergos, heated grips, hardbags = days and days of 700 - 800+ miley goodness. I rode mine out to Yellowstone then turned around and headed to CA for GP last summer and had a great time.

I have some family friends who traded their HD in on one, they've been all over 2 up on it and the wife says it's super comfy.
    I like it!!!! Maybe after the "spring inflation" drops I'll be able to afford one. I hate buying a bike this time of the year.

I like it!!!! Maybe after the "spring inflation" drops I'll be able to afford one. I hate buying a bike this time of the year.
    I know the feeling... I was wanting a DS, but gave up the search once spring pricing started to go up. I'm not about to drop 4K on a 15 year old beat down dirtbike.

Still keeping my eye out, but being incredibly selective.

Also, you may want to check out Grand Prix. If anyone would have a FJR to demo, they would be the ones.

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

I am picking up a '12 Multistrada tomorrow for your same reasons.
    It still has the power of a sportbike but can do the miles two up comfortably for both me and the wifey. I still love the pure sportbike, but my aging back does not.
    Get both of you on the bike to determin what will work. Sometimes what is good for her on the back is not what is comfortable for you, for ant number of reasons. Good luck!
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

VFR ftw dude. My first bike was a 03 VFR800 and what a fun bike that was... Wow dude 700+ miles? Most I've done is 600 in one day and my back was screaming for help

My biggest concern with a lot of the more touring oriented bikes is the linked brakes. I'm not a fan of the rear brake applying front brakes and standing the bike up. Does the FJR do this too? I've read the VFR isn't bad with this as it only applies the brakes to one caliper in the front?
    I do not know everything about all viffers but of the ones I do know.....

With a VFR linked brake system and applying pressure to the foot pedal; fluid pressure is applied to ONE of THREE pistons on BOTH front calipers.

Some love it, some hate it - but it's really not fair to judge until you've tried it.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Viffer fo sho. I've heard good things about the FJR.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I wish I still had my white VFR800 with luggage........that bike was the bomb!
    2011 KTM 690 Enduro (w/ SuMo Setup)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR Graffiti
    2002 DRZ400E

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    VFR ftw dude. My first bike was a 03 VFR800 and what a fun bike that was... Wow dude 700+ miles? Most I've done is 600 in one day and my back was screaming for help
    Started in Grand Junction at 8:30AM, ended up in Murray UT at 10:30PM via 128 to Moab, Hanksville, Bryce Canyon, Antimony...... Some of it was 'slabbing it just to get from one set of twisties to another, but it was mostly twisty of one sort of or another.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Frank is just a sucker for punishment. I have done plenty of 600+ days two_up.
    I have to say that I have a rare passenger though.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

I'm very happy with my vfr800. I test rode a sprint st as well but found the vfr to handle better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    I am picking up a '12 Multistrada tomorrow for your same reasons.

Well?????