Thread: Race ECU and PCIII or not

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

Race ECU and PCIII or not

I have a race ECU on my 1098s w/ the software to anylize and make some basic changes to TPU, Fuel etc. This ECU is mapped for my exaust sys. Do I gain anything by adding a PC? Dyno Jet only offers one map. With my ECU I can adjust low and high throttle air/fuel. any insight would be nice.

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Re: Race ECU and PCIII or not

I think the only benefit would be if you wanted to get a "custom" dyno tune done. They could use the PCIII to add it. Just putting it straight on top of the race ECU, I don't think that will gain you anything?

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

Thank you, I believe your spot on. I am sending back the unit. My bike is a monster and I thought maybe the PC III would allow me more map choices without the dyno. If I could make less of a fire breathing dragon out of her on the street that would be good for fuel consumption. But no worries on that front the ECU allows for A/F trimming with attending software. If you don't have the DPR ECU on your 1198 I would strongly recommend it with any bolt ons!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

If you got the PCV w/ auto tune, you wouldn't need to tune it on a dyno.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

BMS can run a custom map into Ducati ECU's without at PC - they flash the existing ECU to the appropriate map.

s

Yeah I talked to those guys and they can do just about anything a guy could want to a Quacker. It would seem that my ECU is properly mapped so on with taming the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCARCASS View Post
    Yeah I talked to those guys and they can do just about anything a guy could want to a Quacker. It would seem that my ECU is properly mapped so on with taming the beast.
    Have you done a dyno pull with the air/fuel monitored? Even then, a dyno will get you close, but not 100% as it can't simulate actual road/wind/speed conditions.

I have a WEGO III wideband datalogger that I use to fine tune with my PC3 USB. I know exactly what my AFR is, and can make changes accordingly for elevation, cooler temps, etc. That's the only way to be 100%

Or just buy a PCV, it has the oxygen sensor built in and it's "autotune" function does it all for you.

Yeah good point on the Auto Tune. Seems like a really nice feature. I am learning more about flash maps for the ECU and am pleased there are so many options. But getting close to the 100% awareness of the AFR is def a good thing. I can smell the bike is a little Rich in the mid where I really dip into the gas to pull out of corners going up hills. To me I prefer it to be a little rich at this point in the power curve. Anyway thanks for $.02