Thread: WSBK - Assen (spoiler)

WSBK - Assen (spoiler)

Come on Biaggi!

Assen WSBK: Biaggi facing fifth-row start in Holland

20/04/2012

Biaggi will miss Superpole if it rains again tomorrow

By WSBK desk
    Image by Paul Sturman

Former World Superbike Champion Max Biaggi got caught out by the downpour that hit Assen just minutes into the first qualfying session today and he didn't manage to get in a banker lap meaning he could be out of tomorrow's Superpole session if conditions for second qualifying are similar.

The Roman Emperor could only muster 17th place in the first free practice this morning due to bike problems and he then only got one lap in the dry before rain appeared, meaning he was again left in 17th and out of the final session if today's qualifying times stand.

“We didn't start off well. This morning we had some problems with the bike that caused us to lose precious time. In the afternoon we started after making some significant changes, but after a few minutes it began to rain and I was forced to come in," said Biaggi.

"When you make such drastic changes you have to re-familiarise yourself with the bike and unfortunately I wasn't able to build my confidence in the only fast lap I had, so we ended in seventeenth place. At the moment we are out of Superpole and that really disappoints me. We'll see what tomorrow's sessions bring."
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Re: WSBK - Assen (spoiler)

what is a banker lap and why would he be out of superpole?

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Drat! Well, the Assen race ALWAYS can produce unpredictable weather. I wish Mad Max the best, and hope for a good, clean, race.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

A banker lap is one that's not too quick but clean and track dampness plays a part in the qualifying times.

The top 16 is Superpole
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Come oooon rain!!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Damn! There goes my fantasy league points...

Weird pair of races. The first was a bizarre crash-fest, the second was great but WTF was Checa and/or his crew thinking? And, ok, so, they put him on full wets, come in the NEXT lap before you lose too much time or crash. They completly blew that one. Biaggi got some very good points with Checa's miscue, and I feel badly for Smrtz, Badovini, and especially Haslam. Ah well, that's racing!

On another note, I just happened to catch the first AMA race......WOW! Blake Young is da MAN! To come back from getting crashed by Hayes (unintentionally) to win it after the red flag restart??? Amazing ride.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Weird pair of races. The first was a bizarre crash-fest, the second was great but WTF was Checa and/or his crew thinking? And, ok, so, they put him on full wets, come in the NEXT lap before you lose too much time or crash. They completly blew that one. Biaggi got some very good points with Checa's miscue, and I feel badly for Smrtz, Badovini, and especially Haslam. Ah well, that's racing!

On another note, I just happened to catch the first AMA race......WOW! Blake Young is da MAN! To come back from getting crashed by Hayes (unintentionally) to win it after the red flag restart??? Amazing ride.
    damnit I only caught the end of ama race 1, still have 2 on DVR.

I love wet races because it gives the lower funded teams a chance to prove themselves. All you have to do in a wet race is maintain 10th place, and by the end you're almost guaranteed a podium

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I love wet races because it gives the lower funded teams a chance to prove themselves. All you have to do in a wet race is maintain 10th place, and by the end you're almost guaranteed a podium
    Hah! As if it was that easy....... They said in race one about 1/3 of the field FINISHED????

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I only watched race 1 so far, but holy shit was that interesting! They must have 8 bikes go down in that one corner. It was cool to see the determination and balls from the riders when it started raining. No matter what, they were had the "bin it or win it" mentality. And I thought for sure Biaggi would have came out stronger in the end. His last few laps he got passed left and right. Good race!